Smart Phone Comparison

Fogel

Which Smart Phone do you prefer? (say why below)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which Smart Phone would you pick if buying today?

• Sony Xperia T / TX
    • HTC One X
    • Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Nokia Lumia 920
    • iPhone 5
    • Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx
    • (other - specify in topic)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I don't have a smart phone)
    • None - Don't want to pay for a data plan (I do HAVE a smart phone)

My suggestion is don't rely on numbers, specs (aside from camera info), or anything else. All of the specs are largely irrelevant and performance of the phone varies greatly depending on the OS version (and carrier modifications to the OS). What's far more important than anything is how the phone feels in your hand. What works for one person may not work well for you. Instead of relying on reviews, feedback, or anything else go to the store and play with each of the phones you are considering (and even some you aren't!).

Personally I love my iPhone. It isn't the greatest device (or OS), but it does what I need and has kept me satisfied for ~5 years. If there were a device that would make me consider dropping the Apple ecosystem right now, it would actually be the Nokia Lumia.

Not at all a fan of the iPhone but I agree with most of what you say. Don't go on specs alone, play with every phone you can.

I'd personally not go with any of the phones because I personally do not like phones without a physical keyboard. So really it'd be between my current Epic 4G (S1) and the newer Motorola Photon Q since I'm not going to spend more for a provider that will give me less features or cap any of my services.

This ad baffles me at what Samsung would do to mislead and attract customers. Then again Apple won the stupid court battle so I guess Samsung had some (or many) rights to do this...

Let me just add this: However, it doesn't take a Genius to figure out that Samsung cut short on iPhone 5's features, and that their S*** of an UI on their phones aren't attracting anyone.

@OP

My opinion about the S III (based on experience. I admit I'm an Apple fanboy but I do own a GS3):

Pros:

-Gigantic 4.8" Screen (Which is useless for me as I don't need Gigantic fonts yet, don't usually watch movie on my phone and don't really fuss about screen size when playing angry birds. Still nice to show off to friends though :D)

-Superb Battery life (That is until you actually put the screen to good use. Driving a 4.8" screen isn't easy I tell you. <4 hours of Angry Birds + Movie marathon and you're dead. Another reason why I prefer to watch movies / play games with a tablet. What good is a phone if you can't use it?)

-Thin and Light design (It's as light as or even lighter than my old SE W880i! Be careful when handling it.. The large screen does noticably make it "fatter" and force your thumbs to stretch more, but there won't be any problem when holding it or putting it inside pockets)

-Camera (Great camera no doubt, but based on some sample shots with a friend's One X, the One X still takes marginally better shots IMO. However, it might also be caused by the Screen on the S III)

Cons:

-OS (Three Words: Samsung Tocuhwiz Sucks! Even the Sense UI on a HTC Sensation beats the crap out of it. HTC is still far in the lead in terms of fluidity, functionality, and of course the WOW factor)

-Pentile Screen (You won't usually notice it but if you get real close to the screen, pixelation is bound to happen. It usually bugs me when I'm browsing while in bed.)

-Plastic (Some people may like it but some people don't. I'm one of those who dislike plastic as it makes it feel cheap but Samsung did manage to "reduce" that feeling with the design and I gradually got use to it. However, the "peel-back" battery cover always worries me)

Can't comment on the One X/Razr Maxx/iPhone 5 as I haven't had enough "Quality Time" together yet :P

:cheers:

Some of you Cons have I can debunk:

- OS (really you're referring to the Launcher here): I didn't see Touchwiz as all that bad with "1.0" or whatever came on my S1 stock, but I simply went on market and got LauncherPro (free edition too) and it's much lighter on RAM and completely customizable :).

-Pentile Screen: Can't say much here, it'd be a personal preference but I'll have to closely compare my S1's screen with my cousin's S3.

-Plastic: I personally don't mind the material a phone I own is made of as long as it's sturdy and I've dropped my S1 multiple times and it's been just fine (no case ever). Plus you'll have 99.9999999% of iPhone users throwing on some kind of case anyway that may be plastic so that doesn't even continue to matter. :lol:

TL:DR- I'd play with them in person, but based on specs, the S3 wins. Replacement battery and microSD slots are mandatory IMHO, I want to be able change out or expand on as much as I can... the rest of the amazing specs are just a bonus. (Though I am perfectly happy on a 4" screen right now)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a poll ;)

As a Galaxy Nexus owner I'd most definitely recommend the S3

Noted - will make a poll since you aren't the only one who wants one :)

+1 for a poll, and another vote for the S3. Though if it's me and I don't need the phone yet, I'd also want to see what the WP8 phones are like once released, just to compare.

Noted and poll will be added.

Xperia T/TX

Will check into, thanks for the suggestion but any reason why you recommend that phone?

+1 to the above.. I am a Nexus owner as well..

Noted and poll will be added. :)

Galaxy S3; you won't have to deal with locked bootloaders and will undoubtedly have a mass of developer support.

The international One X is faster, because it has a dual core. From what I understand (make sure on this), the US version only has a dual core.

The One X is Dual Core

The GS3 is Quad Core

One review stated they found the One X to be faster by loading the same web pages and apps side by side with the One X being snappier. They are alone in that so far as every benchmark and youtube video I have found says the opposite. I will say the review site knows how to handle tests while you never know what kind of shape an older phone is in when random people do tests. Androids DO get slower with time. My friend is constantly having to manage his so it doesn't drive him nuts. He's like me ...a PC nerd.

The S3 bootloader was unlocked on all but the Verizon phone. The Verizon S3 bootloader is now cracked so you can use custom roms. I have a Nexus and will be going to the S3 in a few weeks.

Supposedly someone already found a way to root the phone regardless of the bootloader. I don't see myself caring either way as I have a PC to be a power user on. I just don't see myself being a power user on a phone. If I can phone people, text and check out my FF Team, check movie times and find resteraunt addresses I will probably be happy. Course I say that now just like someone with a bad hangover says they'll never drink again, but it is kind of a pain always i)icking around with things.

OS is main factor for me, with android you have larger number of software. Price is a factor also. size is good but S3 might be too big for some, or not.

My advice to you is try to check them in a show room and test them, you might only need 5 min to hate a phone, no matter how good the reviews are.

You saw this? (blocked image) I mean a small feature might attract you, S3 seem to be loaded.

Last thing, you might want to consider Nokia's latest phone Lumia 920, they're trying hard to get a share.

Well technically Apple has the stronger library, not to mention the more optimized library. Price is about the same - all too expensive for what you get. The odd nugget is the Galaxy S3 which has a different price depending on which carrier you go with.

You do have a good point about checking the phones in person. I'm trying to at least narrow things down first so I don't get hounded with salesmen talking about everything that I don't find important. But you're right, the only way to truly know is to play with them all.

I cannot see the image here. I saw another site mention the Lumia 920 so I will do some research on that. I was kind of waiting to see if anyone here would bring it up. Supposedly the 900 was a let down but I don't know why ...I just see the comments about how it didn't bring it. :dunno:

Just found a different version :lol:

(Blocked Image)

Still blocked - if I have time I will try to view this topic from home and see what it is you are trying to show me.

All the Galaxy lineup has (unfairly) suffered from the same issues regarding construction, specifically the use of poly materials instead of metal for the casing. The plastic gives them a "cheap" feel. They are also lighter, yet very durable. I have dropped my Epic more times than I can count. Don't let the "plasticy" feel fool you, they are of solid construction. My wife has an S2, and my dad an S3, they both love them.

Suffered (unfair) criticism you mean?

My suggestion is don't rely on numbers, specs (aside from camera info), or anything else. All of the specs are largely irrelevant and performance of the phone varies greatly depending on the OS version (and carrier modifications to the OS). What's far more important than anything is how the phone feels in your hand. What works for one person may not work well for you. Instead of relying on reviews, feedback, or anything else go to the store and play with each of the phones you are considering (and even some you aren't!).

Personally I love my iPhone. It isn't the greatest device (or OS), but it does what I need and has kept me satisfied for ~5 years. If there were a device that would make me consider dropping the Apple ecosystem right now, it would actually be the Nokia Lumia.

Not relying on the numbers but they're important to me. One being a PC nerd and two when you factor how much you spend to get so little it really doesn't seem worth it. Which is why I held out so long and why the numbers mean something because I will be stuck with this phone for awhile when I do decide what to get. If I get a free phone it will still be expensive because then I will be stuck in a 2yr contract with a data plan, so either way I want to do my research. I will most definitely take yours and Trankop's suggestion of checking out the phones in the store. Another person for the Lumia so I will make sure to research that one as well, thanks!

This ad baffles me at what Samsung would do to mislead and attract customers. Then again Apple won the stupid court battle so I guess Samsung had some (or many) rights to do this...

Let me just add this: However, it doesn't take a Genius to figure out that Samsung cut short on iPhone 5's features, and that their S*** of an UI on their phones aren't attracting anyone.

@OP

My opinion about the S III (based on experience. I admit I'm an Apple fanboy but I do own a GS3):

Pros:

-Gigantic 4.8" Screen (Which is useless for me as I don't need Gigantic fonts yet, don't usually watch movie on my phone and don't really fuss about screen size when playing angry birds. Still nice to show off to friends though :D)

-Superb Battery life (That is until you actually put the screen to good use. Driving a 4.8" screen isn't easy I tell you. <4 hours of Angry Birds + Movie marathon and you're dead. Another reason why I prefer to watch movies / play games with a tablet. What good is a phone if you can't use it?)

-Thin and Light design (It's as light as or even lighter than my old SE W880i! Be careful when handling it.. The large screen does noticably make it "fatter" and force your thumbs to stretch more, but there won't be any problem when holding it or putting it inside pockets)

-Camera (Great camera no doubt, but based on some sample shots with a friend's One X, the One X still takes marginally better shots IMO. However, it might also be caused by the Screen on the S III)

Cons:

-OS (Three Words: Samsung Tocuhwiz Sucks! Even the Sense UI on a HTC Sensation beats the crap out of it. HTC is still far in the lead in terms of fluidity, functionality, and of course the WOW factor)

-Pentile Screen (You won't usually notice it but if you get real close to the screen, pixelation is bound to happen. It usually bugs me when I'm browsing while in bed.)

-Plastic (Some people may like it but some people don't. I'm one of those who dislike plastic as it makes it feel cheap but Samsung did manage to "reduce" that feeling with the design and I gradually got use to it. However, the "peel-back" battery cover always worries me)

Can't comment on the One X/Razr Maxx/iPhone 5 as I haven't had enough "Quality Time" together yet :P

:cheers:

Thank you! Reasons! :)

Not sure I understand your second sentence though. The reason I didn't do a poll in the beginning is because I wanted to force people into giving reasons but so far you are the first and everyone else keep suggesting poll.

I AM leaning towards to the GS3, which seems to be the popular kid on the block here, but I don't make my decisions on what is popular. I want reasons why someone would pick the GS3 over the others. So far all I see is... 1) It's Big! and 2) It's Android! :thumbsup: It honestly sounds like a Ford/Chevy truck debate. The funny thing is it is the screen that is holding me back the most on the GS3 and not because of its size. Here the screen is the biggest reason to go GS3 and it seems to have the worst display of the bunch. I saw a Youtube video of some random guy proving why the GS3 is faster than the HTC One X and even he had to comment on the GS3 having some odd grey-bluish tint to it that made everything seem unnatural ...despite the obvious bias he had to the GS3 over the One X.

What I do really like about the GS3, despite the really nice specs, is the motion control features that make using the phone easier. I also really like the fact the battery is removeable (HUGE PLUS!) and it can take an SD Card ...cheap way to add 64GB.

While google searching "galaxy s3 benchmark" I found this article by Android Authority which I found interesting.

"iPhone 5 bests Galaxy S3"

Though it's not quite as simple as the title says.

iP5 > GS3 w/ Icecream Sammich

iP5 < GS3 w/ Jelly Bean

Geekbench seems to take advantage of multiple cores which most mobile apps don't so it quite surprising to see the iP5 even beat the GS3 in a benchmark test. Either way it looks like the performance is about the same between those two. Right now the decision is kind of between those two simply because the RAZR doesn't impress me outside of the battery life and and the HTC One X already seems old and outdated ...especially by phone standards. Though I was seriously considering the HTC One x most of the day yesterday. I will have to take a look at the Lumia 920 and the Xperia T/TX as they might have the middle ground I am looking for. No clue though, I just know them by name so far.

Not at all a fan of the iPhone but I agree with most of what you say. Don't go on specs alone, play with every phone you can.

I'd personally not go with any of the phones because I personally do not like phones without a physical keyboard. So really it'd be between my current Epic 4G (S1) and the newer Motorola Photon Q since I'm not going to spend more for a provider that will give me less features or cap any of my services.

TL:DR- I'd play with them in person, but based on specs, the S3 wins. Replacement battery and microSD slots are mandatory IMHO, I want to be able change out or expand on as much as I can... the rest of the amazing specs are just a bonus. (Though I am perfectly happy on a 4" screen right now)

My current phone has a keyboard and I rarely use it despite the touch interface sucking donkey nuts so right now it is just added weight. Granted it makes the phone fun to spin around on a couple of fingers but that is about it.

The replacement battery and SD slot is most definitely huge and currently the dominating factor in the S3 being in the lead right now. I thought the specs and giant screen would tip the rest into the win category, but if you took out the battery and SD card benefits I'm not sure I would even consider the S3 ...which has taken me by surprise to say the least. Hence, the indecision ...because I honestly expected the GS3 to be the no brainer.

Maybe I will just stick with a dumb phone and keep a low monthly payment. This is kind of hurting my head to be honest. :lol:

Edited by Fogel

Fogel: If you are in the US, Galaxy S3 is dual core... outside US it has a quad core...

Ya I kind of figured that based on the article I just posted a link too but was going to follow up on that to be sure. Thank you for the confirmation! :cheers:

@Fogel: may I suggest that you list out the things that you want the most and then pick out the one that's closest to what you want. Ultimately, it's a phone, so you'd mostly use it for calling and texting people. So, as time flies, you may even find that these features are not of much use to you. If it's hurting your head, then close your eyes and choose. You really won't go wrong with either of them as each of them have something for you to brag on and something for you to whine on. cheers.gif

Edit: which part did you not understand? I'll be happy to rephrase it if needed :)

Edited by vandreadstriker

Will check into, thanks for the suggestion but any reason why you recommend that phone?

Just have a look at these lines :D

sony-xperia-t.jpg

Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8260A Snapdragon

CPU: Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait

GPU: Adreno 225

Camera: 13 MP, 4128x3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash

Camera button: dedicated, double indented

Video: 1080p@30fps, continuous autofocus, video light, video stabilizer

Secondary: 1.3 MP, 720p@30fps

Card slot: microSD, up to 32 GB

Internal: 16 GB, 1 GB RAM

Screen: 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.55 inches (~323 ppi pixel density)

Battery: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1850 mAh

Bluetooth: v3.1 with A2DP

NFC: Yes

USB: microUSB (MHL) v2.0

Xperia T and Xperia V benchmarks better the Galaxy S III

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/08/30/xperia-t-and-xperia-v-benchmarks-better-the-galaxy-s-iii/

Some more lovely shots of the phone. God I love the Xperia design :D

Sony White Papers : http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/lt30/whitepaper_EN_lt30p_xperia_t.pdf

Full Specs : http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_t-4899.php

Unboxing Video:

So yeah it looks like sex on legs haha and in a few days at&t should be making their announcement about the phone. Also that lovely 13MP sony snapper and dedicated camera button along with fantastic benchmarks hardly goes astray.

1348212153[/url]' post='2051457']

Just have a look at these lines :D

sony-xperia-t.jpg

Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8260A Snapdragon

CPU: Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait

GPU: Adreno 225

Camera: 13 MP, 4128x3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash

Camera button: dedicated, double indented

Video: 1080p@30fps, continuous autofocus, video light, video stabilizer

Secondary: 1.3 MP, 720p@30fps

Card slot: microSD, up to 32 GB

Internal: 16 GB, 1 GB RAM

Screen: 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.55 inches (~323 ppi pixel density)

Battery: Standard battery, Li-Ion 1850 mAh

Bluetooth: v3.1 with A2DP

NFC: Yes

USB: microUSB (MHL) v2.0

Xperia T and Xperia V benchmarks better the Galaxy S III

http://www.xperiablo...e-galaxy-s-iii/

Some more lovely shots of the phone. God I love the Xperia design :D

XperiaTPress_4.png

XperiaTPress_1.png

XperiaT_1.jpg

XperiaT_2.jpg

More here: http://www.xperiablo...peria/xperia-t/

Sony White Papers : http://www-support-d...0p_xperia_t.pdf

Full Specs : http://www.gsmarena....eria_t-4899.php

Unboxing Video:

So yeah it looks like . on legs haha and in a few days at&t should be making their announcement about the phone. Also that lovely 13MP sony snapper and dedicated camera button along with fantastic benchmarks hardly goes astray.

Damn that's one sexy phone, both in and out. But a Snapdragon with 1850mAh? I'm kinda warry of a possibly low battery life..

I cannot see the image here. I saw another site mention the Lumia 920 so I will do some research on that. I was kind of waiting to see if anyone here would bring it up. Supposedly the 900 was a let down but I don't know why ...I just see the comments about how it didn't bring it. :dunno:

Still blocked - if I have time I will try to view this topic from home and see what it is you are trying to show me.

Try these

Edited by Trankop

Damn that's one sexy phone, both in and out. But a Snapdragon with 1850mAh? I'm kinda warry of a possibly low battery life..

Snapdragon S4 not the older S3. Also dual core vs all the quads atm. It pulls better performance than the quads and with the smaller size of the Snapdragon S4 it should pull better battery than previous gen Xperias and comparable battery life to the HTC One X and Galaxy S3 granted not the Droid Razr MAXX :lol: You will definitely be able to make it through a day of normal use.