WTF. Am I cursed?

Fragsman

Well. I guess Thermaltake wasn't what I supossed.

A week ago the rear case 120mm FAN just died, it was stuck and not rotating anymore.

This morning I woke up, turned on the PC and voila! 230mm FAN doing a lot of noise. The blades were making contact with any other objetc. I tought it was a loosen cable inside the case but not. Seems they are touching the structure of the fan itself.

...I still think Thermaltake is a very good manufacturer. Perhaps is normal, I bought this PC 2 years ago and it is running almost 24/7.

When I back home I will try to put some WD-40 and inspect where the baldes are touching.

Is NOT easy to get a replacement for that. The other day I replaced 120mm one but 230mm is not common at all.. I dunno if I'll be able to replace it :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you do know fans wear out right?

I mean they are massed produced with the cheapest of materials.... in 24/7 use they can use up all the factory lube in a short order

Yeah yeah well. I believe not all are the same..

Just to put an example

Noctua > Thermaltake (or other brand) > Generic (ubercheap) one

I said that just because I've seen Noctua products are extremely expensive so I think they are nearly made with GOLD ^_^

But I do understand you, they do wear out... is just that is not easy to replace it.. 230mm is not easy to find at all.. if I cannot repair or lube then I will see what i'll do.

But I do understand you, they do wear out... is just that is not easy to replace it.. 230mm is not easy to find at all.. if I cannot repair or lube then I will see what i'll do.

i just revived my once squeaky 3 year old 120mm cooler master fan by re-lubing it's bearings, try it.

better use an ordinary bicycle/sewing machine oil than WD-40.

Just for reference. It's a short fan lubrication how-to. http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

Far as I know all PC fan bearings are either a ball bearing or sleeve bearing type, with some proprietary names to variations of those two types. The variations are usually to sleeve bearing designs to improve them to perform like ball bearing and seal them better.

Well.. i'll use the lube that my father use to put on machines.. is the only one I have.. I don't even know if it is wd-40 or what.. I used on an older PC fans and it did the job!

The problem is the fan could be moving this way:

graphic1eb.jpg

That's what I observed today..

My real worry is that might be hard to get a replacement. Most easier fan to replace is 80mm, then 120mm and last 230mm. Only a few cases uses 230mm fans and consider i'm in Argentina. I can get all kind of hardware but 230mm fan is not so easy since is very specific for some cases

ps: did u liked my noob draw? made on Corel :P

Edited by loco_frags

Well.. i'll use the lube that my father use to put on machines.. is the only one I have.. I don't even know if it is wd-40 or what..

*snip*

I myself would not use WD-40 as it dries out the bearings, instead of lubricating them