Phenom II X2 555 Core unlocking problems

enrgizerbunny

I'm having trouble unlocking the other two cores on this CPU. I have an ASUS M5A99X EVO, which features and unlocker in the BIOS, but it does nothing. I'd love to save off buying a quadcore and unlock the cores in this one. Help?

I've had 3 of these cpus, 1 would unlock and oc'ed like a charm, the other 2 were newer cpus by about a year and would not unlock, it's the luck of the draw. It seems the older ones had a much better ratio for unlocking. Maybe amd caught on and really killed the other 2 cores.

edit> have you tried only unlocking 1 core and making it a tri core ?

Edited by SpikeSoprano
  • Like 1

I believe cores are sometimes laser cut, which could be a reason

*sounds buzzer*

That is incorrect Sir. You are thinking of the Video cards. They didn't laser cut the Phenom II cores to my knowledge.

To the OP:

When you buy a Phenom II 555BE, you are going on a gamble. It's most likely a 50/50 chance you'll get a cpu that unlocks all 4 cores... 25/75 that it will be STABLE (also depends on the motherboard.)

I myself had one a few years ago. It unlocked all 4 cores on a Biostar TA790GX 128M. Depending on the clock speeds, it was stable... but if you ever get it to unlock all 4... (or even just 3,) make sure you have an aftermarket cooling system. These cores are disabled for a reason by AMD, and most of the time, it was because of thermal issues.

*sounds buzzer*

That is incorrect Sir. You are thinking of the Video cards. They didn't laser cut the Phenom II cores to my knowledge.

To the OP:

When you buy a Phenom II 555BE, you are going on a gamble. It's most likely a 50/50 chance you'll get a cpu that unlocks all 4 cores... 25/75 that it will be STABLE (also depends on the motherboard.)

I myself had one a few years ago. It unlocked all 4 cores on a Biostar TA790GX 128M. Depending on the clock speeds, it was stable... but if you ever get it to unlock all 4... (or even just 3,) make sure you have an aftermarket cooling system. These cores are disabled for a reason by AMD, and most of the time, it was because of thermal issues.

:withstupid: Most of the time the extra core or two will take alot more voltage (which will equate to added temperature down the way) to run the same speed as a normal 955 for instance.

Maybe bump your voltage a little bit and try unlocking again, might just require some more volts

*sounds buzzer*

To the OP:

:withstupid:

The best thing thing would be not to try unlocking the cores without proper cooling. And what is the use of unstable extra cores?

The one I had added about 8c to the temp when unlocked so the stock cooler kept it under temp, it was when I oc'ed it i had to upgrade the heatsink. Those cpu's are great oc'ers even on 2 cores so mabey you should try that, might give you the speed you need. But remember always monitor your temps when oc'ing so you will know if you need a better heatsink.

I've pushed 1.5625v through the vcore without problems, and gotten to 4090MHz stable on the two cores, but I'll try playing with the voltages. I thing I've damaged something because now I can't OC past 3600MHz and be somewhat stable, my file transfers are CRAP going to USB devices, and usually the USB drive is unable to be found mid transfer and then it still shows, but nothing in it, and can't transfer anything.

I'm cooling with a ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED. Does a good job.

Edited by enrgizerbunny
  • Like 1

Zelman FTW i want a Phenom ii X4 960T it may unlock to a 1000T series 6 core at 95watts!!!!!! but what brought my attention just now i think my Phenom ii X4 965 is to blame not my biostar TA990FXE wish i had an extra amd cpu to test it

Edited by GENERALCHAOS

I've pushed 1.5625v through the vcore without problems, and gotten to 4090MHz stable on the two cores, but I'll try playing with the voltages. I thing I've damaged something because now I can't OC past 3600MHz and be somewhat stable, my file transfers are CRAP going to USB devices, and usually the USB drive is unable to be found mid transfer and then it still shows, but nothing in it, and can't transfer anything.

I'm cooling with a ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED. Does a good job.

Try running stock clocks with your known voltage limitations then try again with the unlocking, if it still won't work stick with the 2 cores going as high as you can.

Have you bumped the southbridge voltages a smidge?

Zelman FTW i want a Phenom ii X4 960T it may unlock to a 1000T series 6 core at 95watts!!!!!! but what brought my attention just now i think my Phenom ii X4 965 is to blame not my biostar TA990FXE wish i had an extra amd cpu to test it

+1 Zalman pride!! (love my 9900MAX)

Maybe pick up an athlon x2 for super cheap, I'm big fan of the underrated Athlon x4's myself, they can be had so cheaply but overclocked game damn well.

• Like 1

Try running stock clocks with your known voltage limitations then try again with the unlocking, if it still won't work stick with the 2 cores going as high as you can.

Have you bumped the southbridge voltages a smidge?

+1 Zalman pride!! (love my 9900MAX)

Maybe pick up an athlon x2 for super cheap, I'm big fan of the underrated Athlon x4's myself, they can be had so cheaply but overclocked game damn well.

Haven't bumped the southbridge voltages, left it on auto.