Core Temp or CPU Temp

shanty1

I am running a mild overclock on stock cooling from 3.6 ghz to 4.3 ghz on my AMD FX 4100 quad core. I am confused on which temperature reading is the most accurate. On HWMonitor the CPU Temp reading is over 20C higher than my Core Temp. However my Core Temp and CPU temperature reading on the program Core Temp are the same. Which is giving me the most accurate reading? I ran a stress test and the CPU Temp value on HWMonitor shot up to 64C before I turned of the test.

post-88852-0-37094300-1346807812_thumb.png

I agree with Shurman, I understand core temp will show the temperature of the core internally, whereas CPU temp will show the temperature of the external shell, so in terms of overclocking, I would use core temp

HWMonitor is my favorite program for temps...because it has the core temps which matter most but also EVERYTHING else.

Which should answer your question that core temps are what you could be concerned with. :thumbsup:

With AMD's latest architecture you can trust the sensors about as far as you can throw them and they offer different readings from board to board and even BIOS revisions. Find one that you are comfortable with and use it. Just know where the CPU throttles under load and you can take a good guess at what you actual CPU core temp is going to be.

realtemp is the program i use for monitoring cpu and gpu temps, its simple and works great, rreads core temps of cpu.

on a side note those are some really chilling temps you have there if the numbers are right about core temp. for overlcokings sake dont go over 73c with amd chips if you do want to push it to the next level (4.5ghz and up)

• 2 weeks later...

I am running a mild overclock on stock cooling from 3.6 ghz to 4.3 ghz on my AMD FX 4100 quad core. I am confused on which temperature reading is the most accurate. On HWMonitor the CPU Temp reading is over 20C higher than my Core Temp. However my Core Temp and CPU temperature reading on the program Core Temp are the same. Which is giving me the most accurate reading? I ran a stress test and the CPU Temp value on HWMonitor shot up to 64C before I turned of the test.

For CoreTemp, adjust the offset to +12.1.

That is the most accurate you're going to get. I checked it against AMD Overdrive and CPUID HWMonitor. It's accurate within 0.25°C.

Also, hope you have an aftermarket cooler. Those 4100's like to heat up fast past 4GHz.

Edited by Infamous_MaYhEm