6770 crossfire or 6870

John_again

Hello guys, i've been thinking to upgrade my graphics card, i already have a 6770, my mobo is a P5E that supports crossfire at 16x speed.

So, 6770, cost here 89euros, and an 6870 192euros... worth the money? what do you suggest?

I'd get the 6770s just because they offer better performance for less money though I bet a 6870 would do well at that resolution on its own... and probably with slightly better minimum fps

Edited by IVIYTH0S

the only problem you will be facing is scaling problems, heat problems or no crossfire support.

other then that the 6770 crossfire is a good choice.

personally dont like multiple card set-up screwd to many times over in the past so i just stick with the best singlecard solution i can afford and stick with it until it gets really outdated, so my opinion, get the 6870 :P

and concerning your link, if those were true numbers then my gtx 480 is between the gtx 580 and the hd5970 and well... while my card is awsome its not THAT awsome :P (my 3dmark11 score is 6407~)

Edited by WarWeeny

the only problem you will be facing is scaling problems, heat problems or no crossfire support.

other then that the 6770 crossfire is a good choice.

personally dont like multiple card set-up screwd to many times over in the past so i just stick with the best singlecard solution i can afford and stick with it until it gets really outdated, so my opinion, get the 6870 :P

and concerning your link, if those were true numbers then my gtx 480 is between the gtx 580 and the hd5970 and well... while my card is awsome its not THAT awsome :P (my 3dmark11 score is 6407~)

Yeah, i agree with the single card choice, but crossfire as i know fixed a lot of problems they had in the past months(years)...plus, most games now support CFX and SLI.

Well, i dont dare to test a single 6770 on 3Dmark11... i ll get VERY dissapointed and im sure about that! (The card choice was a present, or else i wouldnt buy this one!)

I must think a lot before i buy another one, or ll just get a new one, single card.

Thanks for your answer too!

(sorry for any english mistakes!)

I have no problems in crossfiring HD 7970's (as well as HD 6970's and 6870's in the past). Also, if you can find a great deal on a HD 5770, it's exactly the same card (and chip) as an HD 6770 (the HD 6770 has an updated BIOS to support HD3D). You can actually flash a HD 5770 to an HD 6770 if you wanted to, but it'd just be easier just crossfire it with your HD 6770 without flashing it.

Edited by El_Capitan

Used 6870s are dirt cheap these days, so it may be better to sell your 6770 and snatch up a used 6870 for what, 125 bucks? At that low resolution either of them would have no problem maxing out games, but 6870 leaves you room to grow with a second 6870 if you get a new monitor.

Crossfire 6870s are still amazing bang for buck considering how cheap they are. I am currently running a 2560 IPS with dual 6870s with no problems whatsoever - on a now "ancient" C2D setup to boot. Not too many ~$250 setups can pull that kind of performance at that resolution. They would be faster with more CPU power behind it like a SB or IB chip too...

Yeah, i tried to sell my 6770 when the price was still at 100+ , with 3 years warranty etc... for 60! But no one was interested! So i just give up selling it! 6870 is a monster compare to 6770...

Oh, and what do you think of 7770?? Things here are way to easy, i can just "kill" my 6770 and they will replace it for a different card, (i do this for a couple of years :P), the only card i see is 7770 to get for free...