Help! 2600k P67 Overclocking. I need real help!

d93ben

So I have an Asus Sabertooth motherboard. And I do love the configuration. I'm new to overclocking I was wondering if you people may help me overclock to 4.8ghz stable with my I7 2600k CPU. So. At first I tried to change the ratio to 47, and the voltage to 2.38- And it BSODs. So instead of doing that. I lowered the ratio down to 45. And it boots however when I check the Bios or when I log into windows and check the rate, it's still the same at 3.4 Ghz. It just says. 3.40ghz @ 3.40ghz. What am I doing wrong? I brought an aftermarket cooler in hopes of overclocking as well. I've read various guides before I attempted to do this, and now that I've done it but iwth no real results. I was wondering if there was anyone that can help guide me through pushing the CPU a bit harder.

Whoa WHOA WHOA 2.38v is WAYYYY TO high of a voltage for your CPU. Intel Chips usually don't like anything higher than 1.4v! I have the same board, start overclocking in low increments like set the multipler to 42 and leave the voltage at auto. Or set the voltage to 1.36v. Setting the voltage to 2.38v will fry your chip!

Check your processor speed with a program called CPU-Z it's free. It'll tell you what your speed is at the moment. Get Coretemp too core temp is a program that monitors the temperature of your CPU. If your hitting 55C or 60C while your cpu is idle(doing nothing in your desktop) then the temps are too high.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention you want to stress test your overclock to make sure it's stable. Use programs like Orthos, Prime 95, or if you don't want to wait a long time try using Intel Burn test or OCCT.

Windows doesn't tell you the speed of your CPU when you overclock it so thats why we use 3rd party programs to monitor the temperature and speed for us. You don't want your CPU running too hot because that'll degrade the chip(slowly kill it).

Edited by My_Inner_Fred

Whoa WHOA WHOA 2.38v is WAYYYY TO high of a voltage for your CPU. Intel Chips usually don't like anything higher than 1.4v! I have the same board, start overclocking in low increments like set the multipler to 42 and leave the voltage at auto. Or set the voltage to 1.36v. Setting the voltage to 2.38v will fry your chip!

Check your processor speed with a program called CPU-Z it's free. It'll tell you what your speed is at the moment. Get Coretemp too core temp is a program that monitors the temperature of your CPU. If your hitting 55C or 60C while your cpu is idle(doing nothing in your desktop) then the temps are too high.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention you want to stress test your overclock to make sure it's stable. Use programs like Orthos, Prime 95, or if you don't want to wait a long time try using Intel Burn test or OCCT.

Windows doesn't tell you the speed of your CPU when you overclock it so thats why we use 3rd party programs to monitor the temperature and speed for us. You don't want your CPU running too hot because that'll degrade the chip(slowly kill it).

Oops. I meant 1.38

Oops. I meant 1.38

And another thing is.. Right now at stock it runs 35 o'c under full load.. I may have put too much thermal grease.. So I might have to reapply it soon. And okay. Windows doesn't really tell you? But doesn't it normally say in properties?

That only tells you the default(advertised) speed of said processor. I have seen it showing overclocked speed before but thats in very rare cases. Your saying it's only 35C under full load while at stock speeds? Thats good! no need to redo the thermal grease if the temps are fine.

That only tells you the default(advertised) speed of said processor. I have seen it showing overclocked speed before but thats in very rare cases. Your saying it's only 35C under full load while at stock speeds? Thats good! no need to redo the thermal grease if the temps are fine.

Thanks for such quick replies! And really? When I was at my friend's house it showed his like this. [email protected] I'll download those two - And I'll start testing, I'll get back to you.

unless your wanting bragging rights or are doing some benchmarks for high scores anyting over 4.0 - 4.2 with the amount of voltage/heat its just not worth it in the long run.

Not all chips are created equal so your might take more or less voltage to hit the 4.8ghz that you want. most likly you will need more then 1.4v to do this. Dont get me wrong its fun to see the limets of the hardware as ive hit 5.4ghz with my 2500k but for everyday use its back down to 4.2ghz or even all the way down to stock. Just remember once you fry a part you have to replace it and are you willing to spend the money to do that.

-> example One of my first boards that i really overclocked was my Asus R3E with a i7 950, learned a very good leason on that board as i went to high on the voltage and fired the board. Being the nice guy I am I did not rma that board for my own stupidity and bit the bullet @ almot $400 for a new board.... i now have a vary nice paperweight/ mock up board laying around.

unless your wanting bragging rights or are doing some benchmarks for high scores anyting over 4.0 - 4.2 with the amount of voltage/heat its just not worth it in the long run.

Not all chips are created equal so your might take more or less voltage to hit the 4.8ghz that you want. most likly you will need more then 1.4v to do this. Dont get me wrong its fun to see the limets of the hardware as ive hit 5.4ghz with my 2500k but for everyday use its back down to 4.2ghz or even all the way down to stock. Just remember once you fry a part you have to replace it and are you willing to spend the money to do that.

-> example One of my first boards that i really overclocked was my Asus R3E with a i7 950, learned a very good leason on that board as i went to high on the voltage and fired the board. Being the nice guy I am I did not rma that board for my own stupidity and bit the bullet @ almot $400 for a new board.... i now have a vary nice paperweight/ mock up board laying around.

2600ks Are known to be stable a 1.4 volts....

Hey I downloaded the things you told me and then I tried to overclock it again by changing the CPU ratio but that didn't quite work as well. IT still shows me at 3.4ghz.

Hey I downloaded the things you told me and then I tried to overclock it again by changing the CPU ratio but that didn't quite work as well. IT still shows me at 3.4ghz.

Run prime95 or any stress testing program or disable power features to see the max speed all the time. And if you just change the ratio in the BIOS to say, 39 leaving all other setting as it is, 2600K will run @3.9GHz without any problem.