Many Types of GTX680 (Are they different?)

Grape

Well, this question has been in my mind for a few years while I really never had a chance to ask it.

Moreover, I can't find a solution on the net too, so I will be asking here.

The title seems misdirecting. Well, there ARE really a lot of GTX680 around.

GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 [PCIExp 2GB], ELSA GeForce GTX 680 4GB [PCIExp 4GB], WinFast GTX680 4GB GDDR5 [PCIExp 4GB], GTX680-DC2O-2GD5 [PCIExp 2GB]

GF PGTX680/2GD5 [PCIExp 2GB], ELSA GeForce GTX 680 [PCIExp 2GB], Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom 4GB [PCIExp 4GB], GTX680-2GD5 [PCIExp 2GB]

Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom [PCIExp 2GB], GF-GTX680-E2GHD [PCIExp 2GB], GF PGTX680-OC/2GD5 DUAL FAN [PCIExp 2GB], WinFast GTX680 2GB GDDR5 [PCIExp 2GB]

Gainward GeForce GTX 680 2GB [PCIExp 2GB], Inno3D Geforce GTX 680 4GB [PCIExp 4GB], ASUS's Direct CU II and so on...

Well, there are a few things we need to consider when doing SLI GTX680.

The memory. There are 2GB and 4GB types. However, today let's just talk that I will only buy 4GB card.

Same Nvidia Card, but sold under different brand?!

Question #1: Why there are so many types of GTX680 4GB? Aren't they all same? In my own opinion, their price differs because of the cooling components like the heatsinks and fans' quality.

Question #2: In the situation of I am gonna do a water cooling and will be buying a water cooling board for GTX680. Should I get the cheapest GTX680 4GB around and ripped the cooling components off to fit my water cooling board on it?

Or, should I buy the most expensive GTX680 4GB with imba cooling components and still rip them off, putting them in the storage in my backyard which I will probably not touch them for the rest of my life, maybe my son's curiosity will let him to.

I mean seriously, I am doing a water cooling on GTX680 4GB, living aside the cooling components, are the cheapest GTX680 4GB around is same as the most expensive GTX680 4GB around?

Bonus Question:

Just out of curiosity. If I am doing a 2560×1600. SLI GTX680. Is 2 GTX680 2GB enough? Or a demonic 2 GTX680 4GB worth it?

When a GPU is non-reference, not only do their coolers change, but the physical PCB does as well. Companies will add on power phases to the GPU to increase the overclocking potential among several other tweaks to improve efficiency and performance.

To make things simple, gainward is probably your best bet. They make a very good card, and if you can afford it, you should probably stick to 4GB. :thumbsup:

What he said ^

plus I think one 680 2GB would be OK at 2560x1600...you'd be video memory limited long before you'd run out of steam on the GPU itself.

What's the cheapest on that list or where are you shopping??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

+1 also Gainward usually only makes none reference. The benefit of non reference is with a custom PCB they can have different different components asides from the stock power and coolers. This can allow for longer life span or even high clocks.

The nvidia chip is the same, that won't change but everything else can be altered

If your looking to watercool, i know zotac make a reference 4gb card that will work with all waterblocks. You cannot waterblock a non-reference with a reference waterblock though, it will completely destroy the card.

More like it won't fit but if you did try something would break off.

If you call it "fitting" if you can place it on top of the card then yes, but these non-reference cards can have the cores in a different spot and different screw mounting locations, so i highly doubt it will fit at all

@OP: you might want to consider getting the upcoming GTX 685. It has 4GB of memory, and enough power to offer a decent advantage over the normal 680 while still saving you a couple hundred bucks over the 680 sli.

@OP: you might want to consider getting the upcoming GTX 685. It has 4GB of memory, and enough power to offer a decent advantage over the normal 680 while still saving you a couple hundred bucks over the 680 sli.

Got any links for info on teh 685? i havent heard of it other than rumors for ages

Got any links for info on teh 685? i havent heard of it other than rumors for ages

Because that's all it is right now. Rumors.

At 2560x1600 you should be fine with one 2GB GTX 680. If the 4GB is not much more, then that should allow for even more graphics options to be enabled.

Because that's all it is right now. Rumors.

Tjj operates on rumors. :lol:

OP - any of them will work fine. With a single 2560x1600 screen any of the 2 GB cards will serve you well.

With a single 2560x1600 screen any of the 2 GB cards will serve you well. [for most games, unmodded, for the time being]

added an important note, after my 5970's performance wasted on Vram limitations, I stress the importance of Vram and the 680 it'd hold back the GPU even sooner then a more balanced card (like mine)