New Monitor

flareback

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you do is game, then TN is fine. VA, PLS, and IPS all provide better colors and contrast (good to great in the order I listed), but don't quite match TN panels in response times. There isn't a major difference in response times, but some people are obsessed with ones at 2ms even though 8ms is perfectly fine for everyone. Input lag is what you want to worry about imo.

I'm not sure I actually want a 27" monitor.

Is there a particular technology I should look for in a monitor? IPS? TN? VA? PLS? Or does it matter?

There is a pretty significant difference in color quality. I am unaware of what VA is, but I know that IPS is a huge leap over TN, and PLS is a pretty big step above IPS.

Since PLS is wayyyyy too expensive, IPS is the way to go.

That asus monitor I linked should be IPS, so if you are sure you don't want a catleap, your best bet is to get that asus monitor before the sale expires.

As nice as it sounds, I don't know if I would get a Korean monitor without the pixel perfect guarantee. The one IVI linked is almost guaranteeing there will be at least one dead pixel...look down in the description.

I certainly wouldn't buy from that particular seller, and when you find one I personally think it's worth splurging on the extra $ for the picture perfect guarantee. However..... here is one great monitor if you decide to go another route;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236262

There is a pretty significant difference in color quality. I am unaware of what VA is, but I know that IPS is a huge leap over TN, and PLS is a pretty big step above IPS.

Since PLS is wayyyyy too expensive, IPS is the way to go.

That asus monitor I linked should be IPS, so if you are sure you don't want a catleap, your best bet is to get that asus monitor before the sale expires.

VA stands for Vertical Alignment. It is a step above TN but below IPS and PLS.

Saying PLS is a "pretty big step above IPS" is kind of false, since H-IPS, S-IPS, and Super PLS are all pretty comparable.

This should give an idea of what the different panel types are like and what is best for each person.

VA stands for Vertical Alignment. It is a step above TN but below IPS and PLS.

Saying PLS is a "pretty big step above IPS" is kind of false, since H-IPS, S-IPS, and Super PLS are all pretty comparable.

This should give an idea of what the different panel types are like and what is best for each person.

I was only saying that because I have seen several IPS panels, and I have seen the samsung series 9 screen. In a side by side comparison to a HP screen that had the same specs except it was IPS, I definitely saw a pretty remarkable difference. To me the PLS monitor looked more natural. I am not sure how to describe it, but my biggest issue with any screen is how well colors meet. For instance, I have a picture of an orchid that I have been editing. On my personal TN monitor, I notice some imperfection when the violet hits the background. It makes almost a grainy edging. It almost reminds me of trying to run a game with no anti aliasing. That happens on all of our TN panels.

The one IPS panel that we have definitely makes a difference, but it is still there.

One of the sales clerks at microcenter let me try my picture on the samsung screen, and there were no issues. All the colors were perfect. Even on the HP monitor, the picture still wasn't all that accurate with it's color. To me the PLS screen seemed to have colors that actually mounded while the IPS still had slight separation.

Now I am well aware that there is probably a billion and 5 things that could explain why I am seeing what I am, but that is simply what I have experienced. :dunno:

I am not sure how to describe it, but my biggest issue with any screen is how well colors meet. For instance, I have a picture of an orchid that I have been editing. On my personal TN monitor, I notice some imperfection when the violet hits the background. It makes almost a grainy edging. It almost reminds me of trying to run a game with no anti aliasing. That happens on all of our TN panels.

This is only an issue on sub-par TN screens. Every single screen I own is TN (with the exception of my 60" plasma) and not a single one has any color blending or aliasing issues. I have seen a crappy monitor in the past (a BenQ IIRC) that had some pretty nasty issues but it was a sub-$100 monitor. :lol:

EDIT: I actually have a 19" IPS panel as well and it looks amazing as well (especially on color edges). Any bleeding or aliasing you've got is either the results of bad cables (possible, but not likely) or just cheap panels in general.

EDIT2: Post up the picture and I'll take a close-up of my screens for comparison. :cheers:

Here's another monitor that's a nice pick for about what the 27" costs, though the 27" is the deal of the century

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=320-2676&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_ir&dgc=BF&cid=7420&lid=197374&acd=10549103-1225267-ZqCYSudQEeGCtlrxvYyJRw0_0_YAJ_0_0

$30 coupon code: Q9S1F59BW$B6TD

Edited by IVIYTH0S