New Monitor time... Cheap IPS too god to be true?

klinic

So, I was on uMart looking at monitors and found this seemingly amazingly priced IPS LG IPS234V 23inch IPS PANEL,1920x1080 Black. Now, granted I haven't been following this stuff lately, but is that for real?

I swear a few years ago a 24" IPS would have cost at least $900... Or maybe I've been out of it for a while. Is this okay? Or is there a better/cheaper monitor I should get?

I mainly want this to play Morrowind and Skyrim on my old gaming machine and to use Pro Tools and Aperture on my MBP. Photography is just a hobby for me, Pro Tools isn't. I get a little frustrated with lack of real estate in Pro Tools at the moment even on a 1920 x 1200 screen. It's not a huge issue and my budget isn't really above $200, but if there's a higher resolution monitor out there that would fit my needs that would be cool to hear about. If not, 1920 x 1080 is fine.

Any help would be beyond fantastic.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One great 1920x1080 23" IPS monitor is Dell U2312HM which I am using now, didn't found it on the website you posted, the price is around $200-250. I've been using it for about 6 months(mainly gaming) and it's amazing.

Edited by 96andrei

These IPS monitors are based on a cheaper IPS technology, so color is not as good as the expensive IPS monitors, however it is much better than TN monitors.

Well, as I said, I'm not a Pro, or an aspiring pro. On the rare occasions that I'm printing or selling I can just drag my to my fathers house and check it on his expensive IPS monitor. The main thing is that it's BETTER right? And I don't even find my TN monitors to be awful, clearly I'm not good enough for perfection to matter.

One great 1920x1080 23" IPS monitor is Dell U2312HM which I am using now, didn't found it on the website you posted, the price is around $200-250. I've been using it for about 6 months(mainly gaming) and it's amazing.

I do like Dells, minus their absurdly aggressive Anti-glare. If I can get it at $200... I think I might do that. I'll have me a look.

The Korean 27" IPS screens on eBay are an amazing deal if you get the right ones. They're ~$300 shipped and 2560x1440.

This is rather relevant to my interests... (I feel like that's a meme or something, I think I've heard it before) are they... decent? That sounds FAR too good to be true. No warranty I'm assuming... But will I get away with a few dead pixels as a not pro?

I'm more worried about the HDCP aspect of it, any other quirks can be overlooked but that HDCP issue may be a dealbreaker for me. Unless there's a way to ghettoly enable such a thing through software haha

I'm more worried about the HDCP aspect of it, any other quirks can be overlooked but that HDCP issue may be a dealbreaker for me. Unless there's a way to ghettoly enable such a thing through software haha

Damn, didn't notice that somehow while reading it. :/ Well, that shouldn't be a huge deal breaker for me... I think I would rarely watch anything copy protected on it...

Is iTunes content protected? I have a few things from there, but most is ripped from Blu Ray or DVD anyway, and I'm pretty sure is not copy protected.

Damn, didn't notice that somehow while reading it. :/ Well, that shouldn't be a huge deal breaker for me... I think I would rarely watch anything copy protected on it...

Is iTunes content protected? I have a few things from there, but most is ripped from Blu Ray or DVD anyway, and I'm pretty sure is not copy protected.

See that's what I'm not sure, nor am I familiar with how the technology actually works or how it'd know if the monitor is HDCP or not... sounds like BS technology to me but wish I could test the monitor with a bluray player, as I think all BR discs have HDCP and maybe some DVDs but rips *should* be fine since they are re-encoded....now to go read up on what the hell HDCP is, and how it works lol