New Monitor time... Cheap IPS too god to be true?

klinic

I looked at a MAX chip that did HDCP to make a passthrough to non HDCP HDMI devices. It didn't look difficult, but apparently was not quite legal so I didn't look further into making it since half of the reason was to simplify it down to a DIY project.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Korean 27" IPS screens on eBay are an amazing deal if you get the right ones. They're ~$300 shipped and 2560x1440.

This has been a little known secret for months now. You can find ALOT of information about these little jewels here (and apologizing in advance for the redirect) - it's just that this has been a discussion over there for months now.

Yamakasi / Catleap Monitor Club

And the Yamakasi / Catleap isn't the only one :)

The more I think about it, the more nervous I get. No real guarantee on quality or pixels and they're really still quite expensive to me. They're double the original monitor. :/ I just really don't have the extra money to blow on what is essentially a gamble, I'm still paying off recording equipment as it is.

I'm SO taken with the idea of a 27" IPS monitor.... But even at these stupidly cheap prices I have trouble justifying it. :/ Maybe an even cheaper TN panel is the way to go until I'm in a more stable place. If that were the case, any other suggestions?

The more I think about it, the more nervous I get. No real guarantee on quality or pixels and they're really still quite expensive to me. They're double the original monitor. :/ I just really don't have the extra money to blow on what is essentially a gamble, I'm still paying off recording equipment as it is.

I'm SO taken with the idea of a 27" IPS monitor.... But even at these stupidly cheap prices I have trouble justifying it. :/ Maybe an even cheaper TN panel is the way to go until I'm in a more stable place. If that were the case, any other suggestions?

I dunno, i never used a IPS panel before, but I have used 1920X1200 and it is amazing! So that alone is worth the upgrade for me.

I dunno, i never used a IPS panel before, but I have used 1920X1200 and it is amazing! So that alone is worth the upgrade for me.

My monitor on my laptop is already 1920 x 1200, it's going to be a downgrade for me! But at 17" text is just too freaking small when the monitor is sitting all the way away from me on top of my rack.

I need a lower pixel density! (Never thought I'd say that)

eh 300$ for a 27" YAMAKASI?

seems real fishy.....

if it really is that good a monitor one of you should buy it and put an official review up on this website

I think you will get tons of hits

but I'll wait till others test it

eh 300$ for a 27" YAMAKASI?

seems real fishy.....

if it really is that good a monitor one of you should buy it and put an official review up on this website

I think you will get tons of hits

but I'll wait till others test it

100s of people would disagree :P those catleap monitors have gotten quite the following

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1019700

I saw those 27" ISP panels when I was looking to buy one a few months ago. They are pretty legit based on what I saw.

I went with 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM instead for $280 shipped total :D I should have bought a third from that same seller, but too late. I doubt they will ever get that low again. I have the eBay seller saved and set to email me whenever he puts new auctions up haha.

Edited by AZNguyen