My First Build

Derrick_93

Okay first to the OP, you can cut back some on the motherbaord with no lose of performance and used the money saved to move up to a 120 Gig SSD with ease. Next the Green drive works fine for a data drive and that is the way he should be using it. A 120 Gig SSD can give enough space for Windows apps and games on the assumption he is not a game or app hoarder.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay first to the OP, you can cut back some on the motherbaord with no lose of performance and used the money saved to move up to a 120 Gig SSD with ease. Next the Green drive works fine for a data drive and that is the way he should be using it. A 120 Gig SSD can give enough space for Windows apps and games on the assumption he is not a game or app hoarder.

If you look closely at the price list OP gave, the 3750K + Sniper M3 is the best deal he could get.. Even a 3570K + ASrock Extreme4 cost more :dunno:

Both drives are priced at SGD118 so it does seem silly..

But the Green Drive has 3yrs warranty vs the Barracuda at 1yr.

Personally, if I needed a pure storage drive, I'd get the one with longer warranty.. I have yet to find a day where I can't wait an extra 15-30 seconds when moving movies to my External HDD. It's not like the World's gonna end in the next 30 seconds right? :biggrin:

Well to be honest, 1 year of warranty is fine by me. In the past 6 months I have changed my drive configuration 4 times. When you factor in the fact that I have sold some things to pay for upgrades I have actually only spent 40 bucks and I have probably tripled the performance.

When you start talking about a year of warranty and then think about SSD prices dropping like a rock and new technology that will be coming out, I would not be surprised if the OP as well as several other members witch over to having an entirely SSD based system.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while the warranty might cover you when your hard drive dies, but it won't protect you from future technology. I say get the faster hard drive and keep it until you can afford 1TB of SSD storage.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you also installed other programs in the green or was it purely for storage? I'm curious if there's a big difference in data access time..

IMO if the OP is gonna need a storage drive (meaning you don't install anything in it, just store files), OP can go with the green drive and use the extra money for a better/larger SSD.

Nope it ran programs and handled my OS. The speed was decent enough for me, I have no major complaints.

I have a SSD running my OS now so it's much better now.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, I have not had the time to make the build, so I'm currently still in the planning phase.

I have noticed that with the release of the GTX 660 Ti, the price of AMD cards in Singapore has dropped, but the price of GTX 660 Ti in Singapore is outrageously high.

However, I would still love to own an Nvidia based system, so I'm considering the different video cards out there.

The cards that I am looking at are, HD7850, HD 7870, HD7950 or SLI GT630 or SLI GT640

Could someone give me some pointers so which of the following cards is the best for me right now?

The link to the store price list is here

Thanks for the help once again

Most of the 7950s I see are still on the high SGD400s..

If you can get one for below SGD400 (BNIB that is), then go with the 7950 hands down (A 660Ti for a higher price than the 7950 is not worth it IMO) However, don't try too hard on getting a 7950/660Ti at the cost of other components.

If it's to pricey, forget about them and settle with a 7850 (or a 7870 if you can find one for below SGD370)

:cheers:

Hi derrick, im also from Singapore :biggrin: .Did you check on other store price list such as pctheme and tradepac? you can find that the prices are much cheaper compare to fuwell. Currently u can get a 7850 at around SGD300

and also tradepac is offering power color 7870 pcs+ 2gb @ 368 (ref @ 318). IMHO SLI GT630/640 is a waste of money..