My First Build

Derrick_93

Hi, could someone please take a look at my specifications?

I have a budget of $1195. Please pardon my english in some way as I am not from US :)

Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Core i5 3570k

WD 1TB 64MB Caviar Black

Kingston HyperX SE 1600M CL9 8GB

sony dvd-rw drive

psu seasonic m128-Modular 650watt

Corsair Carbide Series 400r

MSI R7850 2GB Twin Frozr III GDDR5 OC

Corsair H70 Core Water Cooling Kit

Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you from??

Looks like a decent arrangement of parts, might I recommend going for a Coolermaster 212 for the CPU to save money and perhaps getting a 120GB SSD for the OS and then maybe a cheaper 1TB for the storage drive.

Thanks for the help, I'm from Singapore :)

How does this sound?

Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Core i5 3570k

WD 1TB 64MB Caviar Blue

Kingston HyperX SE 1600M CL9 8GB

sony dvd-rw drive $

psu seasonic m128-Modular 650watt

Corsair Carbide Series 400r

MSI R7850 2GB Twin Frozr III GDDR5 OC

Cooler master hyper 212 EVO(turbo edition)

OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD SATA3

Better, though could you afford a 120GB?? 60GB may be hard to manage for a frequently used system. You would have to keep a very close eye on cleaning off every little thing you aren't using

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hmm, it's possible for me to get a 120GB, but is there a way whereby I can cut some slack off the other parts so that I can get the 120GB SSD?

Could the PSU or motherboard be changed to be cheaper?

Sorry for asking so much as I am new to building my own computer!

Hi Stonerboy779, in Singapore, we do not have silverstone psu. The cheapest Cosair psu I've managed to find is the Corsair GS600 600W Gaming 80+ Bronze. I've checked on the prices of z77 extreme 4 and 6, but both of them are still more expensive than the sniper m3. Only extreme 4-M is cheaper. Is there a big difference btw the sniper M3 and extreme 4-M?

Hi IVIYTH0S,I'm purchasing from a local Singapore retailed called Fuwell as there is no international shipping from US to SG for newegg.

Attached is the link to the price list for the store: http://www.fuwell.com.sg/uploads/misc/Fuwell210712.pdf

The prices stated are in SG btw

Thanks for the help! :)

Didn't know that the Sniper M3 was so cheap! (Newegg has it for $179)

Sniper M3 + 3570K for SGD 549 seems to be the best deal at the store. Also the Seasonic PSU is a good choice. They're cheaper here in SEA and those Corsair/Silverstone are basically Seasonic based units anyway (Why settle for a re-brand when the original offers the exact same thing for cheaper price?)

I'm assuming you've got ~SGD 1500-1600 to spend? If so, here's what I've come up with:

G1 Sniper M3 + i5 3570 combo - SGD 549

Western Digital 1TB 64MB Caviar Blue - SGD 123 (With an SSD, I don't think you'd need a caviar black.)

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz CL9 - SGD 75 (Same performance as the Kingstons you've picked but a bit cheaper)

Corsair Force 3 120GB - SGD 145 (Good performance for a relatively cheap price)

Sapphire HD7850 OC ed. - SGD 345 (Cheaper and handles heat better than the TFIII version from MSI)

Corsair Carbide 400R - SGD 138

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (non - turbo) - SGD 59 (The turbo edition is just a marketing hype)

Seasonic S12II 620W - SGD 105 (The Carbide 400R provides Ammppleeee space for non modular PSU. You can just store all the cables on the back of the case where there's a bulge)

Total: SGD 1539

:cheers:

Didn't know that the Sniper M3 was so cheap! (Newegg has it for $179)

Sniper M3 + 3570K for SGD 549 seems to be the best deal at the store. Also the Seasonic PSU is a good choice. They're cheaper here in SEA and those Corsair/Silverstone are basically Seasonic based units anyway (Why settle for a re-brand when the original offers the exact same thing for cheaper price?)

I'm assuming you've got ~SGD 1500-1600 to spend? If so, here's what I've come up with:

G1 Sniper M3 + i5 3570 combo - SGD 549

Western Digital 1TB 64MB Caviar Blue - SGD 123 (With an SSD, I don't think you'd need a caviar black.)

Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz CL9 - SGD 75 (Same performance as the Kingstons you've picked but a bit cheaper)

Corsair Force 3 120GB - SGD 145 (Good performance for a relatively cheap price)

Sapphire HD7850 OC ed. - SGD 345 (Cheaper and handles heat better than the TFIII version from MSI)

Corsair Carbide 400R - SGD 138

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (non - turbo) - SGD 59 (The turbo edition is just a marketing hype)

Seasonic S12II 620W - SGD 105 (The Carbide 400R provides Ammppleeee space for non modular PSU. You can just store all the cables on the back of the case where there's a bulge)

Total: SGD 1539

:cheers:

:withstupid: Exactly how I would have done it except I'd get the WD 1TB 64MB Caviar Green for 118SGD

Thank you guys! Really appreciate the help! Yeah, I have SGD 1600 to spare. I'll go with the suggestions that you guys came up with.

Is there any difference between the color codes of the WD HDD?

Thank you guys! Really appreciate the help! Yeah, I have SGD 1600 to spare. I'll go with the suggestions that you guys came up with.

Is there any difference between the color codes of the WD HDD?

Green is crap. Blue is good. Black is best. I would say the a WD black 1TB 7200 RPM with 64MB of cache should do nicely.

To be more specific, green is WD's energy saving BS. Seagate has already stopped their production of green drives because they flat out said that the money you would save on the energy bill would be like a few dolors difference at the end of the year. However, you lost a good bit of performance by buying a green drive. They have made their mark on the drive industry by saying enough with the PR crap, and we are just going to make better drives.....period. For seagate to stop THEIR production of green drives, it probably means that WD green drives are just a gimmick.

Blue drives are like the standard drive. It is a better performing drive than the green drives, and it does use up a tad more energy. However, they work well and they get the job done.

Black is the performance series. The best way to describe it is if you have a blue and a black drive with the exact same specs, the black drive will preform just a tad bit better. I don't know if that is because WD bins their drives, or if they were just built better from the start, or both.