SSD drive

towhog66

OK my best friend who is always one or two steps ahead of me in upgrades :nono: ( has no life and more money :lol: ) has a pimp setup i7 sli 470s top ASUS mobo, water cooler :vmad: ... Oh to my point sry i went off track! i am starting to update my gaming Pc with new components so i can have them for my next rig ( coming soon :woot: ) . after my last upgrade 560 non ti this week, he thinks i should get a SDD drive :slap: . Now i have been using Pc's for gaming since 2005 ( my friend gave me my 1st rig, and helped me with this PC) and i haven't used a x-box or PS since... i have not even thought about using SSD because of their cost, however this is changing! What will i see in improvements over my SATA 3.0 Gbs 7200 RPM 16MB HDD? Windows Experience Index scores my primary drive at 5.9 its my lowest scorning component :snap: i think now is the time and its time to start learning...

just so you guys know i am so very thankful of all the help i have gotten in the past!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226168 it looks good to me but im not sure....

what about size? its mostly for OS every thing else in on my STAT drive games, pic, movies

Edited by towhog66

You won't get any benefit of speed for anything that isn't installed onto the drive...I'd personally run a 120GB minimum and recommend a 240GB if you can afford it. I make due with two very big games and a decent amount of programs on a 120GB with attentive cleaning, 240GB would be a more comfortable living but I'm not really sweating this drive

You won't get any benefit of speed for anything that isn't installed onto the drive...I'd personally run a 120GB minimum and recommend a 240GB if you can afford it. I make due with two very big games and a decent amount of programs on a 120GB with attentive cleaning, 240GB would be a more comfortable living but I'm not really sweating this drive

oh ok. but what if i used a 60 Gb for the OS and a 2nd one like a120Gb or bigger for games and used my STAT drives for videos so on???

Edited by towhog66

It'd be silly :P, you're saying you'd get two seperate SSD's?? Why not just run a 180GB SSD for simplicity, the costs should be about the same with less hassle.

because i hate losing saved games that's a hassle and makes my head hurt, ( dose it not work like SATA drives? ) i use one just for my OS and one for videos and programs so on... i set up files and till widows where to find them... its just how Ive always done it! Would that work? With SATA isn't it faster...

Edited by towhog66

because i hate losing saved games that's a hassle and makes my head hurt, ( dose it not work like SATA drives? ) i use one just for my OS and one for videos and programs so on... i set up files and till widows where to find them... its just how Ive always done it! Would that work? With SATA isn't it faster...

No, what you would do is get a crucial M4 128 GB SSD and just back up your game files to your existing hard drive. You need more back up locations, not more drives ;)

No, what you would do is get a crucial M4 128 GB SSD and just back up your game files to your existing hard drive. You need more back up locations, not more drives ;)

I guess my thinking is geared for the best configuration for optimal IOPS for my OS drive. ( read and write to its pick! ) i not sure if works like the old drives? do you know what i talking about when it comes to STAT drives? ( i hope i have not lost my mined )

Edited by towhog66

i guess my thinking is geared for my OS drive to run free of junk and read and write to its pick! i not sure if works like the old drives? do you what i talking about when it comes to STAT drives? ( i hope i have not lost my mined )

^

what? SATA drives right? SSDs don't work like SATA drives, traditional SATA hard drives are slower than SSDs and have mechanical moving parts in them. SSD's use are flash memory based hard drives that have a limited amount of data they can read and write before the NAND inside the drive wear out.

Are you drunk when you typed this? blink.gif

^

what? SATA drives right? SSDs don't work like SATA drives, traditional SATA hard drives are slower than SSDs and have mechanical moving parts in them. SSD's use are flash memory based hard drives that have a limited amount of data they can read and write before the NAND inside the drive wear out.

Are you drunk when you typed this? blink.gif

no im clean ( if you understand that term )

i know about the little moving things in HDs...

( in my mined it seems to be the best configuration for optimal IOPS ) not talking about raid though not going there! read and right form two is fast for the CPU right? optimal IOPS.......................... ( sry i dont no all the terms to us )

all my drives are very clean im big on keeping up on them.... more then my house lmao

I guess my thinking is geared for the best configuration for optimal IOPS for my OS drive. ( read and write to its pick! ) i not sure if works like the old drives? do you know what i talking about when it comes to STAT drives? ( i hope i have not lost my mined )

With SSDs you BUY good IOPS performance, you do not maintain it. The biggest three concerns anyone should have before purchasing an SSD is make sure you are running windows 7, the amount of disk space you want to dedicate to your SSD, and how much money you have to spend on an SSD.

Once all of that is sorted out, then all you need to do is figure out which SSD on the market best suits your needs and buy from a good company (intel, crucial, OCZ, kingston)

SSDs themselves have enough IOPS that you do not need to worry about using two drives (like you would with two hard drives). Just go with a 120gb SSD at first and see how you like it. They seem to be about $1 per GB nowadays, so it's not terribly expensive like it used to be to own an SSD.

To answer your original question, the improvements you will see will consist of reduced Windows boot time (expect <20 seconds after a fresh install), reduced game and program loading times, and significantly faster system processes such as virus scans and file moving operations. **Tip** Never defragment an SSD.