Problem with gigabyte GA EP45 UD3 Rev 1.0

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long it would take to scan 4 gigs of ram? Cause it may crash while scanning too >_>

If it crushes, the the problem is with RAM modules. If no problem found, problem isn't of the RAM?

How long it would take to scan 4 gigs of ram? Cause it may crash while scanning too >_>

Please go back and read my original recommendations. Start the testing sequence with a single stick of RAM (2Gb). There is a method to the madness. Eliminate as many possible culprits in the beginning and continue testing one piece at a time until you find the problem. If the single stick of RAM passes a couple hours of Memtest go ahead and add the other then retest. On my personal builds I ALWAYS run Memtest for eight hours or overnight on the finished build to ensure memory and memory subsystem stability. It's one of those tests where the longer you run it the more reliable the results. Sometimes you'll run into memory errors that only occur deep into the testing cycle. It may appear to pass after the first or second full round of Memtest and then start to fail as you go for longer time periods.

I have tested 4gigs 20 times now and there are no bad sectors at all or even problems with ram or no crashes has occurred >_> I did memtest with 1 ram stick and both ram sticks together in bare minimum build out of case.

What is my next step in this process of trying to recover my motherboard/CPU processor?

Edited by NewbiE*

That's a good start. So we know that your memory is good and that your computer doesn't shutdown while running Memtest.

Memtest is a low power operation at the most basic level of your motherboard operation. Next thing I would check is the power supply. Followed by the hard drive.

I have tested 4gigs 20 times now and there are no bad sectors at all or even problems with ram or no crashes has occurred >_> I did memtest with 1 ram stick and both ram sticks together in bare minimum build out of case.

What is my next step in this process of trying to recover my motherboard/CPU processor?

Next thing you should do is to chek the PSU. You may use it in friend's PC and add cr@pload of extension cards for stress testing.

I have power supply tester and the power supply is fine + all hard dives were tested by my laptop and they are fine too >_> So what should i do next?

That Gigabyte motherboard + CPU + all gear is ~4 years old.

And about the problem with BSOD's i have had for some time a fellow CPU mechanic told me that my motherboard has outlived herself and the sata port controller chip has died >_>

Edited by NewbiE*

Checking the SATA controller is simple enough. Boot into BIOS and see if any of your SATA devices are being detected. If they aren't then there are three failure modes;

Cable

Controller

Device

You've already eliminated the drive since you tested it in another machine. That leaves the cable or the controller. Again, I want to stress though that a controller being bad is pretty much a pass or fail scenario. Most times it either works or it doesn't.

With all respect to your expert friend, I would hardly consider a four year old motherboard as having aged past it's designed MTBF time. I've still got working motherboards that were mfg. 6-8 years ago.

Yes and i have ~10 years old intel celeron and it works kinda good for his specs.

You know there is the that it could be factory faulty part too... And cables + hdd's are fine, but my sata connectors are kinda slow, cause they need to output 3gb/s but they only output 3rd of that or less. Actually they have gotten very slow since i got that pc. In the beginning of usage they were quite fast. And bios shows my hdd's connected via sata ports.

So what now?

At this point it sounds like you might have to just start swapping parts until you find the culprit (assuming you want to go through that trouble). Going that route could turn out to be just as expensive as replacing the whole rig, so just toss a coin and see what side it lands on.

Frankly I'm out of ideas.