Hello everyone.

First of all i would like to notify you guys about specs of pc:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA EP45 UD3 Rev 1.0

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 LGA 755

Ram : 2x 2gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066

Video : Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 550M 1gb DDR2

HDD : 1TB Sata 2

And now a bit about problem:

My pc started to not behave very good by showing me BSOD'S(about some hardware issues) and in random chances it just froze and it took me about from 5 to 10 restarts each day to even start system up. So yesterday i finally decided to reinstall my system, started by copying data to safe place and ended by formatting everything to clean environment. Then went in bios and set 1st boot device to cd-rom started to install w7 again, but the pc kept on crashing in random places while installing, so i decided to clean it from all the dirt/dust what got inside the case overtime while the pc was standing still, and because of crashes what i was experiencing i thought why not to give a try by scanning my hdd's with HD Tune Pro, but it still didnt show me any issues, then i did reapply new thermal paste on my video card and processor and when i putted everything together and tried to boot up my pc just kept on turning on for 3 sec then turning off and turning on and turning off and so on. When i checked if i accidentally bent some pins i found one bent pin under my processor, but i straightened it again and tried more, but same thing goes on and on.

So what should i do now? Is my motherboard fried or my processor? Should i buy new or try to fix? Is there even a fix for this?

Thanx in advance for any reply's.

<c>NewbiE* From Latvia/Lettonie/Lettland (Europe GMT+2)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove processor and check the underside pin pads with a magnifying glass. See if you can tell where any pin in the socket is miss-striking or not making contact at all with the pin pads on the bottom of the processor. If you identify a pad with a miss-strike or no contact at all, look for the corresponding pin(s) in the socket and attempt to straighten them. It's time consuming work and takes a steady hand but it can be done.

When you pulled the cooler from your video card, were you careful during re-assembly not to get thermal paste any where it didn't belong? Did you check to make sure that all of the thermal pads for the gpu memory and vrms were still in place or did you replace them all?

Also, didn't see it in your system specs., but what kind of power supply are you running and how old is it?

I'm using OCZ Mod X Stream - Pro 500w and it is 3 years old. I can assure you that there is not any problems with my video card, cause when i was just testing motherboard w/o video card still got same 3sec boot thing. And if i don't use 8pin power supply then motherboard boots up, but the 8 pin is supplying power to the processor and cpu cooler >_< And i don't have pins under my processor i have pins on my motherboard :D

EDIT.

So i tried everything listed with checking both cpu and gpu processors plunging in and taking rams out, cleaning processor spot out of some dust that was there, even straightened carefully that one bent pin, but still same results. And my cpu fan is not spinning anymore + that 8 pin thing, if i remmove 8 pin power supply to motherboard it kinda stays on but when i plug back in that 8 pin it shuts down after 3 sec boot :S

Sry about pic quality, but my camera sucks at small object pictures :D

Some pics.

Motherboard.

thumbnmail.png

Processor with no pins.

img0477nl.th.jpg

Red text applying to bent pin straightened.

img0476za.th.jpg

Edited by NewbiE*

And i don't have pins under my processor i have pins on my motherboard.....................

I know that. Please re-read my post and you'll see that I reference "pins" in the motherboard socket, and pin pads on the bottom of the cpu.

Remove processor and check the underside pin pads with a magnifying glass.

See if you can tell where any pin in the socket is miss-striking or not making contact at all with the pin pads on the bottom of the processor. If you identify a pad with a miss-strike or no contact at all, look for the corresponding pin(s) in the socket and attempt to straighten them.

When you were "cleaning" out your computer where you using compressed air? Exactly what tools and how were you cleaning out all of the dust and grime? When you were cleaning were any of your DIMM, PCI or PCIe slots exposed, or were they all populated or covered during the cleaning? It's possible for dirt, dust, grime or other debris to get down into those slots when you're cleaning if you aren't careful. The other possibility is a grounding issue or possibly even electrostatic discharge while you were cleaning.

It's hard to tell from the photo if the pin is straight enough to contact the pin pad on the processor. The best I can tell from the photo and comparing them to Intel's LGA 775 pin land-out assignments, your bent pin is L4-A6#. That's an In/Out Source Synch pin. So at least it's not a power pin for whatever that's worth.

All slots were populated while i was cleaning case with vacuum cleaner + small/gentle paint brush, after all big portions of dust and grime was gone i unplugged all dims and cards and did it one more time.

BTW> I did succeed with booting pc up with straightened pin, but now i don't get so far with reinstalling that pc because experiencing BSOD - stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x96068F83, 0x8CB9747C, 0x8CB97060).

And i was experiencing this error before i did the cleaning of pc. + It boots op until it says loading w7 with beautiful animation >_> and just freezes..

Edited by NewbiE*

The search of that bsod code states the reason could be hard drive space, driver, or bios problems. A 755 socket is an old system. The psu is three years old. I am leaning toward the bios being the problem and would suggest a new bios battery.

Newb - at this point possibly the best thing to do is pull everything out of the case. Disassemble the entire rig. Clean once again paying special attention to all the pci/pcie slots and cpu socket area. Before you start cleaning and disassembly pull the cmos battery and also move the cmos jumper pin to the "clear" position. Leave it like this for the entire disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. While you've got everything gutted from the case it might make sense (time savings wise) to just do the rebuild out of the case. Bare minimum build.

By bare minimum I mean;

cpu

heatsink

one stick of memory in whatever slot the board maker recommends for single dimm operation

video card

power supply

one optical drive

one hard drive

ps2 mouse

ps2 keyboard

Absolutely no USB devices unless it's impossible to configure otherwise.

After reassembly to ahead and move cmos jumper back to the "save" position and reinstall the cmos battery. Power up and see if you can get into the BIOS. If you can get into the BIOS load optimized defaults, save changes and exit. Immediately run Memtest 86+ from the optical drive or a USB thumb drive and report results.