PC Build Images

My_Inner_Fred

Get some better fans (I would get some high performing fans that aren't quite as obnoxious as the stock corsair fans like some cougars or maybe even some gentle typhoons?) , and get some better TIM. That xigmatech stuff seems to be worse than Artic silver 5 which is not a very good TIM.....anymore.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13343/thr-109/Phobya_HeGrease_Extreme_Thermal_Paste_-_35g.html?tl=g8c127s1493

This stuff seems to have very good benchmarking results according to skineelabs. It should be able to reduce your temps by a few degrees.

The included TIM on the Corsair Hyrro series is not bad stuff. The fans are the major problem with the temperatures.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get some better fans (I would get some high performing fans that aren't quite as obnoxious as the stock corsair fans like some cougars or maybe even some gentle typhoons?) , and get some better TIM. That xigmatech stuff seems to be worse than Artic silver 5 which is not a very good TIM.....anymore.

http://www.frozencpu...?tl=g8c127s1493

This stuff seems to have very good benchmarking results according to skineelabs. It should be able to reduce your temps by a few degrees.

Here's another TIM I have available for use from my first build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129001

Is that any good?

Hmmm these cougars: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006648%20600035590&IsNodeId=1&Description=cougar%20fan&name=120mm&Order=BESTMATCH

They seem to push LOTS of air while operating at a low sound level. But they are pricey compared to how much I pay for fans. I'll probably purchase 2 of them when I get enough cash.

The included TIM on the Corsair Hyrro series is not bad stuff. The fans are the major problem with the temperatures.

...........yes but something tells me that he has probably used that up considering he is now using this xigmatech stuff. Otherwise he would have said the stock TIM....right? Or am I assuming too much?

...........yes but something tells me that he has probably used that up considering he is now using this xigmatech stuff. Otherwise he would have said the stock TIM....right? Or am I assuming too much?

Never bothered using the stock TIM. And now I don't even know where the one that came with the HS went lol...

Never bothered using the stock TIM. And now I don't even know where the one that came with the HS went lol...

Quite frankly I never bother with the stock TIM. There are a select few coolers that have good stock TIM such as the noctua coolers, but for the most part no TIM can compare to a proper after market solution like the phobya TIM.

TIM is TIM is TIM. If your cooling solution is decent enough the TIM you decide to use won't matter one bit. IMHO, of course.

Indeed.

Until you get into the "extreme" TIMs like Coolabratory and Indigo Extreme, your mount and application method will make a much larger difference then the 2-3c difference tops between TIMs.

Until you get into the "extreme" TIMs like Coolabratory and Indigo Extreme, your mount and application method will make a much larger difference then the 2-3c difference tops between TIMs.

Yup. Even generic white goop works pretty damn well IMHO. When I run out I buy whatever is cheap...so I happen to have some Arctic Cooling MX-2 on most of my stuff now. I'd much rather spend the money on parts that actually matter. :P

TIM is TIM is TIM. If your cooling solution is decent enough the TIM you decide to use won't matter one bit. IMHO, of course.

I would agree only if the price of TIM was outrageous, but at 10 -15 dollars for a stick of TIM that you can use multiple times, I say why not go all out? If you read skinee labs TIM round up article you will see that the phobya TIM was better than even the noctua NH-T1 TIM by about 1.5C. The noctua NH-T1 is about as good as you are going to get with stock TIM performance.

If you look at frozen CPU you will notice that the price of a large tube of NH-T1 is about 9 dollars and the Phobya TIM is 10 bucks. Both tubes have the same amount of TIM. So for 1 dollar more you are probably going to lower your temps by an upwards of 2 degrees C.

In this type of a situation where the ambient temps are so high, I would say that TIM ISN'T TIM isn't TIM.

I don't trust a single thing that comes out of Skinnee labs. Martin's Liquid Lab, yes, but not Skinnee. He's been proven a fraud and a corporate shill more than a few times and I refuse to trust any of his results.

They are all close enough to essentially not matter. They're filling a few microns of space, less if you've got great contact with your CPU. You've got a lot more to gain by simply lapping your heatsink and using "cheap" past. Heck, even a 4 gram tube of Thermalright Chill Factor is only $5. :P

My ambient temps are higher than his and if 1 or 2 degrees is your breaking point for an OC you shouldn't be pushing your temps that high in the first place. :teehee:

I can't believe I just typed all this out on my phone. :lol:

I don't trust a single thing that comes out of Skinnee labs. Martin's Liquid Lab, yes, but not Skinnee. He's been proven a fraud and a corporate shill more than a few times and I refuse to trust any of his results.

They are all close enough to essentially not matter. They're filling a few microns of space, less if you've got great contact with your CPU. You've got a lot more to gain by simply lapping your heatsink and using "cheap" past. Heck, even a 4 gram tube of Thermalright Chill Factor is only $5. :P

My ambient temps are higher than his and if 1 or 2 degrees is your breaking point for an OC you shouldn't be pushing your temps that high in the first place. :teehee:

I can't believe I just typed all this out on my phone. :lol:

Ah, Wev pointed me in their direction so I figured they were trust worthy, but the general performance still stands that the phobya (along with other types) TIM would be better, and that TIM is not the same as any other TIM.

Remember Waco, this is Overclockers club, not 'meh it's good enough' club. Pushing everything to it's breaking point is the most fun you can have with a computer IMO.