Sign in to follow this  
My_Inner_Fred

PC Build Images

Show me a picture of your BIOS screen for the memory settings. You can do this by putting a flash drive into one of the USB ports on the back and hitting the F12 key to screen print and save the image.

Hmm so my temps are completely normal?

The issues I was having with the ram was instability. As you can see in my sig I have a set of 2x4gb 1600mhz g.skill ram and another set of 2x4gb 1866mhz ram, I had to lower the speed of the faster set to 1600mhz to get my rams to run stable. I also lowered some timings on the ram.

I tried overclocking my 1600mhz set to 1866mhz but that attempt didn't come into fruition.

@ ccokeman thanks. It'll look even better once I get that window panel I ordered. I'll post pictures(in a lower res of course) when I have everything set up.

I would say your temps are not only fine, but actually pretty good for that cooler. With a cooler running chip and a stronger WC setup Ccoke said he was running mid-high 60s. You can comfortably expect ~15c for an Ivy over a similarly clocked/voltaged SB.

Also keep in mind ambient has a huge effect on cooling. My temps fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day since its crazy hot down here (~95F) and my ambient during the hot part of the day is ~28+c since I'm in a warmer part of the house. My idle is down to around 36c in the morning, but can get up to 41c during the day when its hot as hell. Same fan settings, clocks, and everything.

The Delta is a more important measurement of how well your cooling is working - measure your ambient, and then check your temps at idle and load - examine both water temp and CPU temp to have the best chance of noticing any anomolies. If your temps are high and your water temp is also high, then you know your block is doing its job and your chip is just really hot so you may need a bigger rad/more fans. If your chip is hot but water temps are barely above ambient, you have a poor mount on your block or its just a crummy waterblock.

I know not everyone can monitor their water loop temp, especially with an all-in-one solution witout an external rad, but it is important. I have a cheap ~8 dollar indoor/outdoor thermometer velcro'd the the front of my res with the "outdoor" temp probe drilled through my res fillport to monitor the water coming out of my rad. Internal probe measures ambient. Extremely cheap, easy, and effective. If you plan on keeping that cooler, maybe you can get a cheap small internal res to do something similar, and toss it in the loop right before the CPU?

Edited by Puck

Show me a picture of your BIOS screen for the memory settings. You can do this by putting a flash drive into one of the USB ports on the back and hitting the F12 key to screen print and save the image.

Will do I'll try that right now.

@Puck I'll try installing a probe on my next build. I'm planning on going full blown water cooling. Water cooling the CPU, RAM, and GPU.

You should be able to run the memory at 1.6v, manually set the VCCIO to 1.10 and start with Memtest running it from a flash drive or bootable CD to test your memory settings for a failure. Once you pass that then run some prime 95 using the custom option with it set to use 14000mb of ram. this will tell you if you have stability concerns.

No where near as cool looking as the pink one though LOL

That is all really dependent on the airflow through the chassis. In the orientation he has the air pulled into the cooler is going to be from the side panel. I have not seen more then a 2 or 3C swing by changing the orientation of the fans. By pushing air in from the back of the chassis you are picking up some of the heat from the PSU and GPU reducing the impact of the cooler air stream.

The core voltage is dependent on the needs of the CPU. For instance my ES 2600K needs 1.495v to run 4.9+GHz. 1.35 to 1.375v is pretty good for a chip running 4.5Ghz on average and is actually better than what my 3 2600K chips need for that speed. Temperature wise you are seeing temperatures that while may be a little warm you have to expect temps that high with voltage increases. With a full on water loop using a 2x120 rad and D5 pump I was seeing load temps running in the mid to high 60C range at 4.5Ghz so you are not to far off the mark. What issues are you seeing with your memory? BTW nice looking rig!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed/5

From what I understand, the op has about a 45 degree delta temp (or more) which is 7 off from the delta temp in the review. HOWEVER, the benchmark in the review was running at 1.4v and running at higher speeds. I would venture to say that the OP could probably get his delta temps a couple degrees cooler.

And I am well aware that each CPU has a voltage sweet spot, but it is still weird to have no stability below 1.375v for 4.5ghz and then at 1.375v you can crank the chip up to 4.7?????

That does not seem right. I would bet that there is a setting in the BIOS that can be changed to fix that issue.

The temps look good to me. My CPU does similar things from 4.4 GHz all the way to 4.8 GHz or so - 1.375 volts is what it needs at 4.4...anything lower and it will crash randomly. It's not unheard of to have a shelf like that - it just means there's a weak point in the chip somewhere that needs a little extra juice. Once it has that little boost it's good to go for a lot higher frequency till it (or something else) hits the wall again.

Over 4.8 GHz and my voltage requirements SKYROCKET.

I see a ~35 delta over water temp at full load (IntelBurnTest), 1.375 volts, 4.5 GHz. That's on full water as well. I wouldn't expect an H70 to come very close to that number. A 45 degree jump over ambient is actually pretty impressive at that speed and voltage IMHO.

A 45 degree jump over ambient is actually pretty impressive at that speed and voltage IMHO.

Not really. The main issue I have with this whole thread is that I have seen similar delta temps from the hyper 212 evo. I would expect to at least see a 3 degree drop over other air coolers especially considering that the air coolers aren't getting fresh air like the H80 is.

I think the OP can hit 68C on prime.

I think the OP can hit 68C on prime.

Dude...I can't hold 68 C on Prime95 in a warm room this summer. I've got dual 360mm radiators. I think you're either holding the 212 with way too much respect or you've been misled by improperly performed tests.

And once again, he has an H70, not the better-performing H80.

Do note that the room temperature is quite high any. Its always around 82F to 84F sometimes higher so that does play a large role in the temperatures. My guess is the reviewers have around 70-74F room temperature.

I get close to 55C - 60C when I'm only using around 50% of the cpu. Not overclocked I get around 47C - 54C around 50% usage, 75C is the highest it gets when I'm running stock with 100% load.

Overclocked to 4.5ghz I get around 79C - 85C on max load, thats too hight for my liking. I have seen 98C as the peak with 4.75Ghz and thats border lining the danger zone for temps.

EDIT: Forgot to state I changed the command rate to 1T and it seems stable in the stress testing. The 1866Mhz ram set is underclocked pretty well and my 1600Mhz set is performing below advertised timings at the moment I'll steadily raise them and test for stability.

Edited by My_Inner_Fred