Max fan speed 100

Low 20

Minimum fan speed 20

Cooler is a Corsair H70 with 2 fans. Push and Pull config

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temps will go up around 3-5 degrees more if I push the multiplier up thats for sure, stability shouldn't really be a problem so my guess is it'll run just fine if I push it to 4.7Ghz.

I've never really pushed it pass 4.8Ghz...

I forget doesn't the ram get less stress if I put them at 2T instead of 1T? What would it do exactly?

I'm currently at work so I'm not able to do any immediate tests on the PC at the moment.

Temps will go up around 3-5 degrees more if I push the multiplier up thats for sure, stability shouldn't really be a problem so my guess is it'll run just fine if I push it to 4.7Ghz.

I've never really pushed it pass 4.8Ghz...

I forget doesn't the ram get less stress if I put them at 2T instead of 1T? What would it do exactly?

I'm currently at work so I'm not able to do any immediate tests on the PC at the moment.

The ram will have less stress on it at 2T, but that really doesn't matter unless you are overclocking your ram. So 1T would probably be better.

Something is really funky with your overclock if you can go up to 4.7 stable on the same voltage, but you can't turn the voltage down for 4.5ghz.

Have you updated the bios and all of that fun stuff?

I updated my Bios not to long ago because it wasn't compatible with my mouse so it is up to date at the moment.

I had it set to 2T because my 2 sets of ram have different timings. But I'll do that when I get back.

I had the voltages set to auto back then so I'd see spikes go up 1.4v. I as of now have it running at 1.375v at 4.5Ghz no stress testing done yet but I did game on it a little so I think its pretty stable at the moment. My real complaint if any would be the temperatures being too high, my room temperature is already around 82-84F anyway so that probably plays a factor.

Digi+ VRM does however give my CPU more than the manual voltage setting I give it sometimes. I can try turning those down to a lower setting.

I had it set to 2T because my 2 sets of ram have different timings. But I'll do that when I get back.

There is part of the issue.

Set your ram to the same settings 1333mhz at 9-9-9-24 1T, or set the command mode to link.

Having different types of ram and even worse different settings can really screw up your OC. Try and make sure your ram is as equal as possible and then see if you can't lower the voltage for 4.5 ghz.

I do not believe I have the option to set timing for individual sets. They seem to already be linked.

My ram is set at 1600mhz 9-10-9-24 2T at the moment.

hmmmmm

Try overclocking with only a single stick of ram and make sure the ram is running at 1333 at 9-9-9-24 (purely for diagnostic reasons) .

I am sort of hoping that one of the veteran overclocker guys will help. You shouldn't have to run 1.375 just to hit 4.5 ghz.

That is still way too high. Even an H80 on a i7 3770K at 4.7 ghz gets about the same temps, and those chips will heat up fast.

Something is wrong with your setup.

I have two questions.

Question 1: what TIM are you using?

Question 2 might be a stupid question but are the fans that are mounted on your H80 oriented in the same position (as an intake)?

Lastly, can you post your BIOS settings under overclocking? Something tells me you can change a few settings to save you quite a bit of voltage.

No way in hell an H80 keeps a 4.7ghz 3770k @ 75c unless they live in an igloo. Expect 95c at best with a 4.7ghz Ivy.

Ivy bridges run HOT - Quite a bit hotter then SB chips. Even full custom water will be hard to keep it at those temps. Legitreviews had a 3770k @ 4.7ghz and was hitting 90c, while a 2600k at the same exact 4.7ghz with MORE vcore was only hitting 72c on the same cooling. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1924/8/

This guys with over 13,000 posts gets 90c with a 3770 @ 4.6ghz with a Rasa RX360 kit, which blows the H100 out of the water. http://www.overclock.net/t/1269510/i7-3770k-overclocked-to-4-6-temps#post_17483247.

Good thing you did.. Those Vengeance modules' prices have skyrocketed since.. Edit: Whoops.. Just realized that those are RipjawsX modules :biggrin:

Other than those tiny details here and there, it's a good looking build! I I'm liking Black NZXT Phantom. Better looking than the white ones IMO :thumbsup:

No where near as cool looking as the pink one though LOL

2-3????????? Should have been more like 5 or 6 considering the other fan was starving the air from your cooler.

That is all really dependent on the airflow through the chassis. In the orientation he has the air pulled into the cooler is going to be from the side panel. I have not seen more then a 2 or 3C swing by changing the orientation of the fans. By pushing air in from the back of the chassis you are picking up some of the heat from the PSU and GPU reducing the impact of the cooler air stream.

hmmmmm

Try overclocking with only a single stick of ram and make sure the ram is running at 1333 at 9-9-9-24 (purely for diagnostic reasons) .

I am sort of hoping that one of the veteran overclocker guys will help. You shouldn't have to run 1.375 just to hit 4.5 ghz.

The core voltage is dependent on the needs of the CPU. For instance my ES 2600K needs 1.495v to run 4.9+GHz. 1.35 to 1.375v is pretty good for a chip running 4.5Ghz on average and is actually better than what my 3 2600K chips need for that speed. Temperature wise you are seeing temperatures that while may be a little warm you have to expect temps that high with voltage increases. With a full on water loop using a 2x120 rad and D5 pump I was seeing load temps running in the mid to high 60C range at 4.5Ghz so you are not to far off the mark. What issues are you seeing with your memory? BTW nice looking rig!

Hmm so my temps are completely normal?

The issues I was having with the ram was instability. As you can see in my sig I have a set of 2x4gb 1600mhz g.skill ram and another set of 2x4gb 1866mhz ram, I had to lower the speed of the faster set to 1600mhz to get my rams to run stable. I also lowered some timings on the ram.

I tried overclocking my 1600mhz set to 1866mhz but that attempt didn't come into fruition.

@ ccokeman thanks. It'll look even better once I get that window panel I ordered. I'll post pictures(in a lower res of course) when I have everything set up.