Low noise mini tower CPU cooler

Hi there..

Haven't really posted in OCC since i built my last computer, but now it's time to upgrade my dad's old mini tower.

He has complained about the noise from the stock Intel cooler, which is understandable.

He runs a Core 2 Duo in a 775 socket. I've been looking around and it seems the market for 775 coolers is rather small.

The specifications for the new cooler are low price and low noise

I found the Scythe Shuriken for 224 DKK (40$). Would that be a good deal? I'd really like it to be cheaper though.

Any suggestions and recommendations?

If you want to, look here -> www.proshop.dk

On the left site, just check the 775 Socket option.

Thanks in advance

- Skytte

Hi there..

Haven't really posted in OCC since i built my last computer, but now it's time to upgrade my dad's old mini tower.

He has complained about the noise from the stock Intel cooler, which is understandable.

He runs a Core 2 Duo in a 775 socket. I've been looking around and it seems the market for 775 coolers is rather small.

The specifications for the new cooler are low price and low noise

I found the Scythe Shuriken for 224 DKK (40$). Would that be a good deal? I'd really like it to be cheaper though.

Any suggestions and recommendations?

If you want to, look here -> www.proshop.dk

On the left site, just check the 775 Socket option.

Thanks in advance

- Skytte

For 40 bucks you can get the hyper 212 plus and get a noctua fan to replace the crappy cooler master one. It would perform very well, and it would be practically silent.

The right cooler will need to be of equal or greater surface area and cfm airflow than the stock cooler. The shuriken with the sheet metal assembly cooling surface above may have a slight greater surface area in a slight smaller sized heatsink compared to the stock cooler. The shuriken has three heat pipes which is not found on the stock cooler. The pwm fan range at about 10 to 30 cfm will operate with sound at about 10 dba and up, so that the benefit of the silent fan operation will be heard at idle or little load on the cpu. This heatsink is giving slightly better performance as far as I can see compared to the stock cooler. For a cpu mainly running under 50% load the choice would be the shuriken, but for a cpu mainly running over 50% load the choice should be the andy samurai. The samurai is twice the size of the shuriken resulting in it being able to hold a far greater heat from the cpu. The fan runs at a single speed with a dba about 20 or whisper sound level. At about twice the fan airflow of the shuriken (considering it similar in spec to the stock cooler) I estimate about a degree temp rise in the room over the stock cooler (under heavy load for a long period of time). The samurai under little load will operate with silent operation despite having a three pin fan connector because the mobo cpu fan header is a four pin fan connector.

This has always been my go to for low profile builds that need performance cooling and quiet,

Zalman CNPS8000 - 157Kr. - link is to it on the site you are using.

at that price it is 71Kr under your budget, I have used it on a C2D E8600 and a Q9400 with out issue in low profile cases.

Is it a 100mm fan?

Just get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO.

We still don't know what kind of case it is. Just because it is a mini tower doesn't mean it can't support a hyper 212 plus or something. Unless you are talking about a slim case, you might be able to fix something a bit better and quieter on the CPU.

they 92mm and 110mm work very well.... on mini-itx systems with no room the 92mm works best and it cools very well...

I modified a 92mm to fit a Zotac A75 board and it cools much better than the stock cooler ever could and it's silent.......