Water Cooling Irony

So I need to fit a $400 WC loop in the build right?

Simple d5 pump $75

Raystorm CPU block $75

Rx 360 + fans $175

Res $40

Fittings tubing $35

This is being generouse and allowing for a pump that will handle GPUs and more blocks otherwise it's $150 for an xspc cooling kit that performs great

This. That's an overkill setup that would easily handle Crossfire/SLI GPUs and the CPU. The $150 XSPC kits are amazingly good for the price and give you a LOT of thermal headroom.

EDIT: Give me a few and I'll build a loop too. :D

EDIT2: Screw it, this is a great deal: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC_Raystorm_RX360_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX360_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil_Hot_item.html?id=7Gg25pFT :lol:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This. That's an overkill setup that would easily handle Crossfire/SLI GPUs and the CPU. The $150 XSPC kits are amazingly good for the price and give you a LOT of thermal headroom.

EDIT: Give me a few and I'll build a loop too. :D

EDIT2: Screw it, this is a great deal: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC_Raystorm_RX360_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX360_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil_Hot_item.html?id=7Gg25pFT :lol:

Ahh didn't know frozencpu had the xspc d5 kits yet that is perfect there absolutely perfect and leaves a hundred spare for that first GPU block and some better tubing and the ever cheep and good yate loons

Admittedly, the prices have fallen recently. It seems as interest levels rise so does demand, allowing prices to fall.

I also found another irony based on your feedback: Isn't it ironic that the hottest component (GPU) is usually not the first component to be water-cooled? Many people spend more cash on video cards than any other component, so it's kind of funny how most fixate on the CPU and continue to air-cool the hottest, most expensive component in the box!

A Noctua D14 heat-pipe handles my highest load at 62 degrees and I can barely hear the fans spin...

Well.... Cooling the GPU usually costs more than buying equipment to cool the GPU.

And yes the H70 is on par with the D14 in terms of cooling but the H80 and up do perform better.

I also found another irony based on your feedback: Isn't it ironic that the hottest component (GPU) is usually not the first component to be water-cooled? Many people spend more cash on video cards than any other component, so it's kind of funny how most fixate on the CPU and continue to air-cool the hottest, most expensive component in the box!

An i7 3770K @4.9-5GHz Goes up to >95C with a D14 while a reference GTX670 Overclocked @1231/1638 goes up to 63C Max. Makes perfect sense to fixate on the CPU while air-cooling the GPU...

And yes the H70 is on par with the D14 in terms of cooling but the H80 and up do perform better.

Are you sure? :huh:

Read this and tell me that the H70 performs on par with the D14.

Now I'd really like to see where this thread is headed to.. :popcorn:

Edited by vandreadstriker

2.2kw hmmmm

I know you have the PSUs for it but have you ever say ran a prime 95 blend test while running furmark to see what your actually draw is?

One time I ran linpack, prime 95, AOD stability test all t the same time while running three instances of Furmark extreme while OC'ing all 4 cards with 50%+ power tune. well...the lights dimmed in the neighborhood and the transformer blew up in a wild explosion of spark and flaming debris rained down....I went too far didn't I?

I disagree.

I own or have owned a NH-D14, Silver Arrow, and a Phanteks, I tested all of them and found that the only closed loop that will keep up with any of those three (they are all within 1c of each other) is the H-100 at highest fan speed. None of them are even in the same arena thermally as my partially finished water cooling setup.

(BTW Thermalright has put out the Sliver Arrow SB-E that is now the top air cooler)

600x399px-LL-9193ad55_file.png

@ the OP:

as far as "necessary" you do realize that this is an over-clocking enthusiast site right?.....on the other hand you may be right. I need to go tell Dave that he needs to trade in his Mustang for a Prius.....it runs quieter I'm sure :P

An i7 3770K @4.9-5GHz Goes up to >95C with a D14 while a reference GTX670 Overclocked @1231/1638 goes up to 63C Max. Makes perfect sense to fixate on the CPU while air-cooling the GPU...

Now I'd really like to see where this thread is headed to.. :popcorn:

I guess I was wrong. I remember seeing a youtube video comparing the H70 with the D14.

I've always known High End Air cooling is superior when compared to close loop all in one water cooling sets. But I bought a H70 anyway lol.

I guess I was wrong. I remember seeing a youtube video comparing the H70 with the D14.

I've always known High End Air cooling is superior when compared to close loop all in one water cooling sets. But I bought a H70 anyway lol.

Even if performance is slightly worse, i prefer a cooler with the MOBO strain of the stock cooler compared to the monolithic multifan tower coolers, especially in a system that gets moved alot

There is no doubt the H70 (with horrible stock fans) cannot match Noctua's NH-D14 far cheaper (only $85) air-cooled solution.

It cannot match Noctua's heat-pipe even when biased reviewers unfairly dump the stock Corsair fans (at additional cost, increasing the NH-D14's price advantage even further) with Noctua fans!

Want proof?

Here it is, so

:

For those not into YouTube videos, here's the math:

Open test bench using the same monitoring software for all tests

Core i7-2600K

Four cores over-volted to 4.7Ghz

Noctua NH-D14 Load Temperatures (LowCore, HighCore, AvgCore)

68 75 71.5

Corsair H70 Load Temperatures

81 88 84.5

NH-D14 Advantage

19.1% 17.3% 18.2%

It's not even close, despite a biased review using Noctua fans on the Corsair water bottle.

The best thing about that video review is noticing the slight tinge of disappointment in the reviewer's voice at the end when he is forced to admit the Corsair hardware was stomped again.

What to do when you're enthralled in the Kingdom of Water?

That's right, go out and spend even more money for bigger water bottles with larger radiators, having surface areas greater than the NH-D14 and many more fans compared to the two stock fans in the Noctua NH-D14.

Well, that's simply nuts!

Have you ever asked yourself if water really is better if you are forced to spend more for larger surface areas and more fans?

Moreover, is the water really the most important factor or is it the larger surface area to dissipate heat, or perhaps it's simply the increased number of cooling fans, or both?

Does it really matter that much if the all that surface area and additional fans are cooling water or a heat-pipe?

I don't think so.

So why risk pumping water all around expensive computing hardware?

The honest answers I've received (usually by private mail, not on forums) are:

"I water cool because I like to do it as a hobby."

"I water cool because it looks BOSS."

etc.