Quad SLI (4) 680's or (2) 690's

Penti

Like the topic says, which is better for a Quad SLI, four (4) 680's or two (2) 690's? Mostly used for triple monitor set-up, at 1080p each running 3D Vision.

Price would not be an issue, as they'd end up costing the same, or very close, and I'd be purchasing them at one time, so upgrade path isn't an issue.

Any advise or link to benchmarks would be appreciated.

Also, planning on using the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and a TT Level 10 GT case in this build. Anyone know if they'll fit properly? How about airflow (using a HX100 for the CPU)?

Thanks in advance.

I'd go with two 690s, it will run cooler, draw less power and be much easier to manage than quad 680s.

The cards can sit two slots apart rather than 4 sandwiched together.

that is assuming you can find any 690s in stock anywhere, they are pretty rare ATM

I'd go with two 690s, it will run cooler, draw less power and be much easier to manage than quad 680s.

The cards can sit two slots apart rather than 4 sandwiched together.

that is assuming you can find any 690s in stock anywhere, they are pretty rare ATM

+1

And 2xGTX690s perform close to 4x680s

And the GTX690s have a more "expensive feel" with all the fancy design features such as an exterior frame which is made of cast aluminum with trivalent chromium plating, central fan housing which is created from injection molded magnesium alloy and to create the intricate geometries required for the fan housing, they used a form of injection molding called thixomolding, in which liquid magnesium alloy is injected into a mold.

Was / Is leaning towards 2x 690, since my friend who can get me a supplier's price of the 680 / 690 only has an ASUS 680 DC II that uses 3 slots instead of the usual two, so having 4 of them wouldn't do.. I'm just worried about heat, and remembered that 690's run quite cool..

And not to mention that 2x 690's are a bit cheaper than 4x 680's, a savings of around $250.

Just worried about driver problems and such if I go with dual 690's.. would be nice if someone with their own experience can post them here..

sadly there isnt many people around with dual 690s.

you will always have some slight issues with 4 way sli or crossfire, there are so few people who do it that it is almost at the bottom of the "to do list" for the drivers programmers.

performance will be awesome, you dont need to worry about that.

3x680 is another option to consider, that will allow for better spacing than 4x680 and you will not lose that much performance, as scaling dropps off at 4x sli

sadly there isnt many people around with dual 690s.

you will always have some slight issues with 4 way sli or crossfire, there are so few people who do it that it is almost at the bottom of the "to do list" for the drivers programmers.

performance will be awesome, you dont need to worry about that.

3x680 is another option to consider, that will allow for better spacing than 4x680 and you will not lose that much performance, as scaling dropps off at 4x sli

Thanks for all the advice, got my brain going again..

Just a side question: I have a GTX 460 OC GPU right now, and I want to purchase 3x 1080p monitors. Do you think the GPU will handle it for windows? For non-intensive games?

I'm running the 460 with an old 8600 GT for PhysX, so can I use that? Also, my 460 has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI, so I thought it's possible with the 460 alone..

I was going to say this as an alternative too!! Quality over quantity ;)

But get whichever is cheaper between dual 690s or tri 680s

Well, if you use the 8600GT as well, you will be able to run 4 screens, so your 3 will work fine, but it will now allow for playing across all 3, only running them.

Absolutely this

The increase in performance between 3-way 680s and 4-way 680s can be a joke in a lot of games, unless you're running three 2560x1600 monitors lol.

Absolutely this

The increase in performance between 3-way 680s and 4-way 680s can be a joke in a lot of games, unless you're running three 2560x1600 monitors lol.

But wouldn't three monitors running at 1080p @120hz (for 3d vision) even consume more resources than three 1600p?