FINALLY have a new system..

MJCRO

Don't hate cuz you ain't. tongue.gif I'm a light gamer at best anyway. I actually am really digging this tiny machine hooked up to all my stuff for the time being. I flashed the BIOS on it to this sick custom one a guy made to unlock memory OC'ing and so many other things. Right now I have the stock Samsung 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz RAM @ 1866 9-10-9-27 1T 1.5v. Stock is 1600 @ 11-11-11-30-1T.. YUCK.

I'm getting ready to build an X79 Micro-ATX beast sometime this year anyway. biggrin.gif

Thanks red!! smile.gif Haha yeah I'm a neat freak to an extent. lol2.gif

Wouldn't it have been cheaper and more effective to buy a cheap gaming AMD desktop and a netbook for portability :P (battery life win for laptop and gaming quality win for desktop)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it have been cheaper and more effective to buy a cheap gaming AMD desktop and a netbook for portability :P (battery life win for laptop and gaming quality win for desktop)

AMD system? NEVER. :)

I had a ASUS Eee netbook a year ago. It was just too small and slow for me.

I opted for a Sager b/c it gives a good mix of both a portable laptop when on the move, but very capable at gaming on my 1080p monitor.

Besides my uber X79 Micro-ATX build is coming sometime this year. ;)

I opted for a Sager b/c it gives a good mix of both a portable laptop when on the move, but very capable at gaming on my 1080p monitor.

Well truthfully, I thought about that after I posted and even an i3-2100 or something would be a great low cost gamer that can compete with a lot the AMD CPUs in value.

Well maybe not a netbook but a more modest laptop (geared for efficiency and *light*gaming, like my sandybridge i5/540M laptop)

What kind of battery life do you get with the Sager?? I only harp on ya because I see more value in a low cost desktop gamer (where further upgradeability and gaming performance is cheap to maintain) and a light gaming laptop (instead of a heavy gaming laptop where battery life and affordability often follow each other down down down lol, which then it's a portable desktop with a 1hr battery :P...then there's the quickness the laptop will lose it's performance edge on current games, the low resale value of the laptop or high upgrade cost to keep that performance level consistent)

Whatever makes ya happy though :cheers:

Why micro X79 vs micro Z77? If I am not mistaken you are more of a gamer than a video editor so why the extra expense on CPU power that you won't use?

I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I am confused on why you would drop big bucks on something like that?

Why micro X79 vs micro Z77? If I am not mistaken you are more of a gamer than a video editor so why the extra expense on CPU power that you won't use?

I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I am confused on why you would drop big bucks on something like that?

LGA 1155 is getting phased out by Haswell's LGA 1150 next year. LGA 2011 is for the long term in my view.

Edited by MJCRO

LGA 1155 is getting phased out by Haswell's LGA 1150 next year. LGA 2011 is for the long term in my view.

So, intel phases out sockets before they even release :P Your point?? You should buy the best deal available when you need it, don't aim to futureproof (like the people buying AM3+ when it came out and then waiting for Bulldozer.....whoops :lol: )

So, intel phases out sockets before they even release :P Your point?? You should buy the best deal available when you need it, don't aim to futureproof (like the people buying AM3+ when it came out and then waiting for Bulldozer.....whoops :lol: )

I had a Z68 + 2600K @ 5Ghz setup just 3 months ago.. spending another 2 g's for a Z77 + 3770K setup would be pointless since there's no upgrade other than the PCI-E 3.0 support.

My point is if I'm gonna drop a ton of cash in a new build, I'd rather go for a platform that'll last longer. Don't get me wrong, Z77 is a nice mainstream to high end platform, but this time around I wanna go for the higher end X79 setup. 6C/12T FTW! :)

BTW I'm not like super anal about future proofing, but I just try to get the best stuff for my money that I know I'll be easily able to resell later for a good price, ya know?

Edited by MJCRO

I had a Z68 + 2600K @ 5Ghz setup just 3 months ago.. spending another 2 g's for a Z77 + 3770K setup would be pointless since there's no upgrade other than the PCI-E 3.0 support.

My point is if I'm gonna drop a ton of cash in a new build, I'd rather go for a platform that'll last longer. Don't get me wrong, Z77 is a nice mainstream to high end platform, but this time around I wanna go for the higher end X79 setup. 6C/12T FTW! :)

BTW I'm not like super anal about future proofing, but I just try to get the best stuff for my money that I know I'll be easily able to resell later for a good price, ya know?

Just make sure you actually keep it *for a while*, don't turn into Nyt and be like "hrrrrm, this 3770K is cool and all....but I'd rather get rid of it for a gaming laptop and wait for XXX" :P

Well if that is the case and you already have a pretty sweet laptop, why wouldn't you just wait until haswell? It is only about 10 months away, and considering that GT 650m card can play BF3 relatively well, why not just stockpile money and get a sweet kick arse haswell setup with a maxwell card?

Just make sure you actually keep it *for a while*, don't turn into Nyt and be like "hrrrrm, this 3770K is cool and all....but I'd rather get rid of it for a gaming laptop and wait for XXX" :P

Unlike like Nyt, I actually pay for my computer setup's with my own hard earned money. If I end up getting a X79 setup, it'll definitely be for the long haul.

Well if that is the case and you already have a pretty sweet laptop, why wouldn't you just wait until haswell? It is only about 10 months away, and considering that GT 650m card can play BF3 relatively well, why not just stockpile money and get a sweet kick arse haswell setup with a maxwell card?

I'll see. Right I need to focus on buying parts for my car.

If his laptop makes you face palm then you're going to double face palm when I buy mine lol

Don't it!! You'll kill me, the lack of price/performance will cause my heart to stop :lol:

I agree this sounds like a reasonable approach, the more you use your laptop to more its price is justified

Unlike like Nyt, I actually pay for my computer setup's with my own hard earned money. If I end up getting a X79 setup, it'll definitely be for the long haul.

I know, I was just kidding. I trust your judgement