Measure grahics card performance

Pec0

How do you measure a graphics card performance while playing BF3 for example?

I have ordered a new card but I would like to find our how my current 4870 is performing in game as I get serious stuttering and lag. It's quite possible my E8500 is the problem. Is this possible to measure the GPU and/or the CPU in game??

MSI Afterburner, updated all the way and make sure to have it graphing FPS and make sure it's up in the background and then you can alt-tab to see what it's at

+1...and then fraps..to see fps during game play...

Got Afterburner running right now. I lag a lot in game. How do I differentiate between CPU and GPU? I have no real clue as to what is causing the drop in performance.

Edit also not really sure what all this info in Afterburner means.

Edited by Pec0

How do you measure a graphics card performance while playing BF3 for example?

By the only metric that truly matters, does my game play smooth with the settings I want. Benchmarks are fun for bragging, but smooth game play is all that matters.

By the only metric that truly matters, does my game play smooth with the settings I want. Benchmarks are fun for bragging, but smooth game play is all that matters.

He's trying to figure out what the slowest part is...so yes it does matter.

Yes, but its also nice to see "how much better" your new card is versus your old card.

To benchmark BF3, run the single player "going hunting" level with fraps set to a 90 second test. Start it as soon as the level starts and it will finish just about when she goes to put on her helmet. It's not the most demanding scenario but it is very repeatable.

Afterburner is good for in-game monitoring and you can use task manager to see cpu usage too. If you watch cpu, gpu, and gpu memory usage you should be able to tell if you are limited somehow:

bf3.jpg

Edited by RedFury77

Ok I think I have got to the route of the lagging problem... The CPU overheating and I think I got some real issues. I ran a couple of OCCT tests and the tests stop less than two minutes in due to the CPU overheating. I just took re-did the thermal paste in case that was the problem but ran the test again and the same thing happened.

Is my CPU goosed or my heatsink?

I got the Intel Dual Core E8500 Wolfdale and Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro heatsink. Thoughts guys?

If you really want to get into it performance wise. You can use FRAPS to see the consistency that your GPU is rendering frames in ms. start Fraps, check the frame times box and it will open

60 seconds (or however you want to run it) of frame times in ms in excel or note pad. Kinda cool to see how consistent your GPU is. Especially in BF3 you will most likely see different levels of consistency from level to level. You are much more likely to see bigger swings with CF/SLI, but interesting nonetheless.

post-73619-0-66176300-1338146507_thumb.jpg

Here is one i was working on for a CFX project:

post-73619-0-58355700-1338147987_thumb.jpg

Ok I think I have got to the route of the lagging problem... The CPU overheating and I think I got some real issues. I ran a couple of OCCT tests and the tests stop less than two minutes in due to the CPU overheating. I just took re-did the thermal paste in case that was the problem but ran the test again and the same thing happened.

Is my CPU goosed or my heatsink?

I got the Intel Dual Core E8500 Wolfdale and Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro heatsink. Thoughts guys?

That is really odd, I used to have the same CPU/HS a while back and had a fairly good OC on it and never saw temp issues. What kind of temps are you seeing? Also, what kind of voltage is being sent through the CPU?