2Gb card or 1gb?

Pec0

If you put your 4870 back in your machine do you get good framerates again? You should be able to do a back-to-back comparison (unless BF3 is stupid and enables certain things with DX11 that are killing your FPS).

If you put your 4870 back in your machine do you get good framerates again? You should be able to do a back-to-back comparison (unless BF3 is stupid and enables certain things with DX11 that are killing your FPS).

Would I need to update the drivers doing that?

Also

NOTICE: Battlelog will be back online during the E3 press conference. Check back at 13:30 PDT/16:30 EST/21:30 GMT/22:30 CEST, soldier.

ARG!!!

Pretty conclusive then, CPU usage is the reason my card is under performing? I presume it's safe to assume this is also the reason why Battlefield is choosing so low, or should I say "medium settings" by default?

cpuusagee.jpg

cpuusage2.jpg

What's puzzling is many people say my card, the E8500 should be more than capable to Ultra (ultimate) these settings. It's a great card etc etc, I have it overclocked at 4.2Ghz, why is it struggling so much?? :unsure:

A further question is, why would a quad core card such as the Q6600, recommended earlier, be sufficient enough to do the job. It's stock is only 2.5Ghz and is surely a less powerful card than my E8500 dual core?

Edited by Pec0

I don't know of any people that would say that. A 7970/580 and an i7 clocked sky-high are barely capable of running BF3 with everything on ultra with any amount of smoothness (unless I'm going crazy and have everything mixed up). A quad would help, even though it's low clocked, because BF3 takes advantage of more than 2 cores.

I think the real issue here is that your 4870 played the game almost fine...but the 7850 will not. The 7850 is a FAR more powerful card. Something is either changing in terms of settings or you've got a bum card.

What does it do in 3DMark Vantage versus the 4870?

I don't know of any people that would say that. A 7970/580 and an i7 clocked sky-high are barely capable of running BF3 with everything on ultra with any amount of smoothness (unless I'm going crazy and have everything mixed up).

The video in the YouTube video I embedded earlier seems to only run a Q9550, only 4 gb of ram at 1066 ghz and the game looks brilliant and looks like it's playing perfectly smooth.

It's all too confusing.. Lol

Suppose u have a point Waco. However I'm only looking at a 1440x900 res right now.

I'm so confuddled right now. Is the card fine and my CPU is the problem or is it down to a setting some place. Arg!!! Lol

i7-965 + 7850 = 32fps on Ultra : http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-review/21

i7-2600k + 7850 = 38fps on Ultra : http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/Sapphire_HD_7850_OC/9.html

These benchmarks are in the campaign though, multiplayer is even more cpu demanding.

You should get great results with that card, the 7850. Maybe not -full-maxed-out-everything-Ultra settings but fairly close. And if you need ULTRA, even if you can't see the difference, you can always run 2 in crossfire.

I run 2 gtx 560 in SLI with a 4 core, and I don't run all Ultra. It looks really really awesome, but it's not the ULTRA preset. And I have issues with 64 player maps without turning down some more settings.

Sorry, but I think it's pretty conclusive that the dual core CPU is the problem here. Your graphics score in 3d mark 11 looks right compared to the reviews too. Have you tried the campaign with the new card? Or really small multiplayer, like 24 or less.