Finally upgraded to an Android phone, help me get acquainted.

Andrewr05

Root it and instal antutu cpu mater, so you can under and overclock, more importantly undervolt and set power states so you can save heaps of battery and still get better performance.

Player pro is imo the best android music app, and definitely worth trying out, there is a trial.

Dolphin Browswer it is simply the best android web browser.

Ringdroid for making custom ringtones.

Explorer or es file explorer for exploring the contents of your phone.

Battery indicator provides useful information about battery charge level, health, voltage and temp.

Quick pic everyone needs this because the stock gallery is hopeless and I would rate this as performing 100 times better.

Studio kuma lets you block folders from media searches, speeds things up.

Coverart downloader to fix the missing coverart.

Data monitor comes with a brilliant widget and you can set alarms for yourself.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother has the HTC Desire and...It gets overwhelmed quite easily. Definitely root it. As for apps, I don't know. I have this big butt phone and really all I do with it is Tweet and play Draw Something lol.

So if you're into twitter, my favorite app is TweetCaster. Plume is good as well.

Opera Mini is the browser I use.

A flightlight app is always handy.

Pandora of course

Steam Mobile is pretty nice

Though I don't doubt that app has added functionality, CM7 includes the ability to change the CPU speed. Settings - CyanogenMod Settings - Performance - CPU Settings.

+1 I noticed that in the options, installed antutu and it doesn't do anything extra.

Did not see voltage settings anywhere in antutu either.

:dunno:

+1 I noticed that in the options, installed antutu and it doesn't do anything extra.

Did not see voltage settings anywhere in antutu either.

:dunno:

There are some tabs at the top main, profiles, advanced and voltage. They really stand out.

However that may be because I have the paid version :/

My understanding was they where still in the free version and that you just couldn't set multiple profiles with the free version, looks like you can't undervolt in the free version too then.

Oh and haven't used a cyanogenmod rom in some time been using custom roms based on the stock rom of my x10

I would recommend CM9, that's what I use on my Kindle Fire. Much better UI than CM7 for tablets at least and more security (full device encryption and buffer overflow protection). CM9 also has a dedicated menu button on-screen. My kindle only has 1 button (power). On CM7 I would have to hold down the power button to open the menu, very annoying.

Normally to open a link in a new tab, you hold down your finger on the link and a menu pops up. Other apps also have this option, its basically like a Right Mouse Click in some apps.

eReader Apps:

Adobe Reader (for PDF)

Documents To Go (all Microsoft Office things)

Amazon Kindle (if you buy books from them)

Cool Reader (epub (non-DRM), fb2, doc, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, mobi (non-DRM), pml formats)

Social Apps:

Facebook (if that's your thing)

Twitter (if that's your thing)

Pulse (you add sites from a preselected list, then it shows all the thumbnail + title of those sites' articles on a single page with slideshows)

IM+ (Basically like Trillian and Pidgin)

Steam

Evernote (notepad for mobile and desktop)

Utility Apps:

ES File Explorer

Dropbox (if you use that)

AdAway (or an alternative, gets rid of ads)

Adobe Flash (ofc)

MoboPlayer (video player)

SlideIT Keyboard (swipe keyboard input, will have to manually type usernames and passwords. I could never get it to recognize usernames through personal dictionary. I got the paid version, but that one always crashes on me, so I just use the free one.)

SwiftKey X (touch type keyboard input with a really good "next word" prediction)

Games:

Angry Birds (AB, AB: Rio, AB: Space)

Cut the Rope

Flick Golf!

Fruit Ninja

Sprinkle

World of Goo

AirPenguin

Attachments are my current setup on my Kindle Fire + CM9 (Left screen, Home Screen, Right Screen).

Edited by AZNguyen

I can make you a video about this if you give me some time. My girlfriend, her mother, and my brother's girlfriend all had me help them learn to adjust to their Androids: they were all complete technical illiterates when they got theirs.

I'll go over the basics as well as suggest a few apps.

in the meantime, basic operation apps you may enjoy:

Mobile browser: Maxthon mobile browser, if it's too slow on your phone (not sure of specs) instead use: Dolphin Mini.

Email: Use the official Gmail app, not "email."

Budgeting and shopping: Slice, EEBA. one tracks purchases, shipping, and all related details. Second one is "easy Envelope Budget Aid", an envelope budgeting system for multiple incomes that automatically syncs online and tracks "predicted" monthly budgets on a per-day basis.

Email: Use the official Gmail app, not "email."

For GMail, yes, but if you've got a different email account, like hotmail, you will need to use a different app, like the email app. GMail app does GMail only. Email app does all email.