So because you know one person who did something stupid no stock PSU is worth anything? :lol:

Dell PSUs are usually quite stout. The particular model we're talking about here has 22 amps on the 12v rail and is more than powerful enough for an 89 watt CPU and a 9800GT (which will pull less than 150 watts).

LOL a 264 watt PSU. do the math..... 305W is a lie...

BTW, it is not watts it is how many amps the system pulls.... Pushing a PSU 90-95% in his case maybe more is real smart Waco.... the system will use more than 150 watts . he said massive overclocked GPU....... OMG.

Edited by Drdeath

LOL a 264 watt PSU. do the math..... 305W is a lie...

BTW, it is not watts it is how many amps the system pulls.... Pushing a PSU 90-95% in his case maybe more is real smart Waco.... the system will use more than 150 watts . he said massive overclocked GPU....... OMG.

:rolleyes:

Watts and amps are a measure of the same thing. Anyone who can multiply or divide by 12 can figure out the relation between the two of them. :lol:

As for the 305 watt rating - you know damn well that PSUs supply power on more than one rail. :lol:

:rolleyes:

Watts and amps are a measure of the same thing. Anyone who can multiply or divide by 12 can figure out the relation between the two of them. :lol:

As for the 305 watt rating - you know damn well that PSUs supply power on more than one rail. :lol:

LOL Einstein. 22 amps x 12 does not equal 305 last I checked...:typing: :typing: :typing:

LOL Einstein. 22 amps x 12 does not equal 305 last I checked...:typing: :typing: :typing:

And I never said it did. :rolleyes: In fact, I made it pretty damn clear that I understood that. Are you having issues with reading comprehension?

Stop trying to argue semantics and just admit that you're wrong. :lol:

So because you know one person who did something stupid no stock PSU is worth anything? :lol:

Dell PSUs are usually quite stout. The particular model we're talking about here has 22 amps on the 12v rail and is more than powerful enough for an 89 watt CPU and a 9800GT (which will pull less than 150 watts).

Ahhhemmm.:typing: Does this say 22 amps? Looks like it.:typing: :typing: :typing: Help me help you!:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

This still does not change the fact that the PSU is vastly under manufacturer specs. I do not draw them up. If you can calculate the exact power draw of a system, which you cannot.... A system will draw more amps on power up and it will gaming or loaded up so your calculations are way off, that is why they have MINIMUM swpecifications. The Dell PSU is cheap and pushing it limits can potentially cause a problem with a blown PSU, blown GPU or both. Blindly saying this PSU is OK is basically blind. Call Asus, EVGA, MSI, XFX and ask for an engineer.

Edited by Drdeath

James, 305W is the total power rating of the PSU including the 5V and 3.3V rails. Waco is right about 22 Amps on the 12V, see the picture I took for you:

post-31336-0-53285400-1335880955_thumb.jpg

It says "Combined output of +12VA and +12VB not to exceed 264W" That number is indeed equal to 22A*12V.

I agree and the 4850 will run cooler than the 9800GT+... much cooler

I would try to source the AM2 stock heatpipe heatsink and use that.. should fit within the shroud easily and the fan is PWM so it wont ba an issue with the fan for the shroud.... PCdirect carries the stock heatsink for 11.00 I think... I was just in the store the other day and they had a ton of them....

Who care's if he wants to risk his hardware from what I could find it has 18a x 2 rails, with 22a combined total, and will probibly need to use an adaptor for pcie power. Though it is not recomended that he run the psu near it's max compasity (a gt9800 will push that psu pretty hard) as it creates extra heat and increases the potential of burning something out.

Oh, on the 305w power rating dont forget that the wattage from the 3.3v, 5v and -12v rails are also inclueded in that total.

On top of that it's probably an old dell psu so who knows if it is even putting out what it's supposed to. PSU'S degrade as they age so I hope there is no oc'ing in this master plan.:biggrin:

Ahhhemmm.:typing: Does this say 22 amps? Looks like it.:typing: :typing: :typing: Help me help you!:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

This still does not change the fact that the PSU is vastly under manufacturer specs. I do not draw them up. If you can calculate the exact power draw of a system, which you cannot.... A system will draw more amps on power up and it will gaming or loaded up so your calculations are way off, that is why they have MINIMUM swpecifications. The Dell PSU is cheap and pushing it limits can potentially cause a problem with a blown PSU, blown GPU or both. Blindly saying this PSU is OK is basically blind. Call Asus, EVGA, MSI, XFX and ask for an engineer.

It's not blind...I know which PSU has has exactly. He's replacing it anyway so this whole rant of yours is pointless. :lol:

When you figure out how a 150 watt GPU can overload a 22 amp PSU please let me know. If you believe the manufacturer minimums I just don't know what to tell you. Do you really believe a 9800GT requires a 450 watt PSU?

the manufacture minimums are ONLY in place because they know people will buy those 9.99 500 watt PSUs and call it could.... they shouldn't have to RMA cards due to people ignorance and stupidity to buy the cheapest (POS) PSU out there...

It's not blind...I know which PSU has has exactly. He's replacing it anyway so this whole rant of yours is pointless. :lol:

I saw that too, I have been wondering about this whole time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: