Gaming PC, best buy?

NoSnipeLimit

Hey everyone, so it's finally that time, time to buy the hardware!

This PC will be used mainly for gaming, eg ME3, Diablo3, SC2, etc.

This is the setup:

Note that the pricing is converted from my currency, this is the cheapest I can get the components here.

CPU ($270) - i5 2500K

RAM ($100) - Kingston Hyper-X KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX , 2x 4Gb kit - support Intel XMP ( eXtreme Memory Profiles ) ddr3-1866 , CL9 , 1.65v - 240pin - lifetime warranty

MB(Not sure on this, but can only get: Asus or Genuine Intel): I've been looking at the following: Not sure what do i benefit with the z68 over the H67?

($180) http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_LX

($210) http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68M_PRO

GPU ($271) any recommendations, not biased, nvidia or ati?

Sapphire HD6870 - support HDMi 1.4a + Displayport 1.2 with MST , support 6x daisy-chian display via MST hub , 1Gb 256bit 4 channel DDR5 , 32RoPs , 134.4Gb/sec memory transfer ; 1120 stream processors ( pixel shader engine + vertex pipelines ) , texture fill rate : 50.4billion/sec , 56 texture unit , 32RoPs, 2 TeraFLoPs , core/memory : 900/4200mhz , 2x dvi+Hdmi-v1.4+2x mini DisplayPort ( with mini-DP to DP + dvi to d-sub converter )

Case ($44) - Coolermaster RC-371-KKN1 , Elite 371 , No psu ( bottom placed design ) , black , support 315mm very long cards : tools free ; 2 x front usb + audio in/out - 3x 5.25", 1x 3.5", 6x 3.5" hidden - 1 x 120mm fan support upto 7 - atx

PSU ($88) - Antec HCG ( High Current Gamer ) 520w ( 12v : 480w ) , with EPS12V v2.91 , 80PLUS Bronze certified for energy saving - 24pin ( 4pin detachable ) ; 2x 8 (6+2) pin PCI-E 2.0 power connectors , 1x 135mm PWM fan with advanced thermal control , 6x SATA , 6x molex , with OCP, OVP, OPP, SCP safety standard - 3 years warranty

Keyboard ($104) - Logitech 920-002233 G110 gaming keyboard , custom-colour character backlight keys , built-in usb audio , game/desktop mode switch , with 12 programmable game keys , media keys , instant media access, with detachable palmrest

Mouse ($70) - Razer Death Adder 3500 , black with bLue led light , 3500dpi 3.5G optical , 6400 FPS , 5.8 MegaPixel/sec , 60-120iPS ( Inch Per Sec ) , 32k on-board memory support upto 5 game profile , 16bit ultra-data path , 1000hz ultrapooling , 1ms response time , non-slip 5 buttons ( independently programable ) , right-handed ergonomic design with rubber coated buttons , always-on instant response , Zero-Acoustic Ultraslick Teflon feet - usb - retail pack

Comes to about $1159 (rounded down)

Nothing is set in stone above, I do already have HDDs and a LCD. My budget is about $1160 can probably stretch this a little if really necessary, but will need facts to support the cause ;) Thanks Guys!

The benefits from Z68 over H67 are the ability to overclock and SSD caching, if you aren't overclocking or do not need SSD caching, getting Z68 over P67 or H67 is unnecessary. If you aren't overclocking, it is unnecessary to invest in a K-edition CPU.

Another thing is that you might want to re-use your old RAM if it's DDR3, or, if possible, get Kingston ValueRAM. They might look ugly because they don't have heatsinks, but are very cheap and low profile.

You'll might want to look into a different case, as this one has, as far as I know, very limited cable management.

Reusing your current mouse and keyboard might be a good idea as well, as the current keyboard and mouse are very expensive and could be bought at any time.

The benefits from Z68 over H67 are the ability to overclock and SSD caching, if you aren't overclocking or do not need SSD caching, getting Z68 over P67 or H67 is unnecessary. If you aren't overclocking, it is unnecessary to invest in a K-edition CPU.

Another thing is that you might want to re-use your old RAM if it's DDR3, or, if possible, get Kingston ValueRAM. They might look ugly because they don't have heatsinks, but are very cheap and low profile.

You'll might want to look into a different case, as this one has, as far as I know, very limited cable management.

Reusing your current mouse and keyboard might be a good idea as well, as the current keyboard and mouse are very expensive and could be bought at any time.

Thanks for your inputs, I will definitely be overclocking! Thats why I choose the K edition CPU also the 1866Mhz Ram. I'm not keen on the ValueRAM, when running MemTest the memory efficiency was dreadful.

The PC is not a replacement, it's an additional one. So can't reuse anything :)

Any recommendations on a different case, can get any brand here, I just liked the plain and simple look of that one.

Hey everyone, so it's finally that time, time to buy the hardware!

This PC will be used mainly for gaming, eg ME3, Diablo3, SC2, etc.

This is the setup:

Note that the pricing is converted from my currency, this is the cheapest I can get the components here.

CPU ($270) - i5 2500K

RAM ($100) - Kingston Hyper-X KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX , 2x 4Gb kit - support Intel XMP ( eXtreme Memory Profiles ) ddr3-1866 , CL9 , 1.65v - 240pin - lifetime warranty

MB(Not sure on this, but can only get: Asus or Genuine Intel): I've been looking at the following: Not sure what do i benefit with the z68 over the H67?

($180) http://www.asus.com/..._1155/P8Z68V_LX

($210) http://www.asus.com/...1155/P8Z68M_PRO

GPU ($271) any recommendations, not biased, nvidia or ati?

Sapphire HD6870 - support HDMi 1.4a + Displayport 1.2 with MST , support 6x daisy-chian display via MST hub , 1Gb 256bit 4 channel DDR5 , 32RoPs , 134.4Gb/sec memory transfer ; 1120 stream processors ( pixel shader engine + vertex pipelines ) , texture fill rate : 50.4billion/sec , 56 texture unit , 32RoPs, 2 TeraFLoPs , core/memory : 900/4200mhz , 2x dvi+Hdmi-v1.4+2x mini DisplayPort ( with mini-DP to DP + dvi to d-sub converter )

Case ($44) - Coolermaster RC-371-KKN1 , Elite 371 , No psu ( bottom placed design ) , black , support 315mm very long cards : tools free ; 2 x front usb + audio in/out - 3x 5.25", 1x 3.5", 6x 3.5" hidden - 1 x 120mm fan support upto 7 - atx

PSU ($88) - Antec HCG ( High Current Gamer ) 520w ( 12v : 480w ) , with EPS12V v2.91 , 80PLUS Bronze certified for energy saving - 24pin ( 4pin detachable ) ; 2x 8 (6+2) pin PCI-E 2.0 power connectors , 1x 135mm PWM fan with advanced thermal control , 6x SATA , 6x molex , with OCP, OVP, OPP, SCP safety standard - 3 years warranty

Keyboard ($104) - Logitech 920-002233 G110 gaming keyboard , custom-colour character backlight keys , built-in usb audio , game/desktop mode switch , with 12 programmable game keys , media keys , instant media access, with detachable palmrest

Mouse ($70) - Razer Death Adder 3500 , black with bLue led light , 3500dpi 3.5G optical , 6400 FPS , 5.8 MegaPixel/sec , 60-120iPS ( Inch Per Sec ) , 32k on-board memory support upto 5 game profile , 16bit ultra-data path , 1000hz ultrapooling , 1ms response time , non-slip 5 buttons ( independently programable ) , right-handed ergonomic design with rubber coated buttons , always-on instant response , Zero-Acoustic Ultraslick Teflon feet - usb - retail pack

Comes to about $1159 (rounded down)

Nothing is set in stone above, I do already have HDDs and a LCD. My budget is about $1160 can probably stretch this a little if really necessary, but will need facts to support the cause ;) Thanks Guys!

You won't really need DDR3-1866 Memory.. 1600 is enough for a gaming rig plus, that one you've chosen are rated at 1.65v.. Try getting a 1.5v since SB seems to have more tolerance with 1.5v or lower.

For the board, do you have access to ASRock or Gigabyte Boards? Many places have ASUS board prices bloated up (like where I lived) and both ASRock and Gigabyte produces quality boards too. Try this board: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

GPU, see if you can get a 560Ti (non-448 edition) for around the same price. I'd personally choose the 560Ti since it supports PhysX which would really impact some games that uses it (Batman AC for example)

I've noticed that you didn't choose any aftermarket cooler? It's better to get one if you want to OC. The CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo is a great cooler to start with. It provides very decent cooling and for a very affordable price.

:cheers:

Also, can you tell us the website of the store you're buying from (if any) so that we can help you further :thumbsup:

Edited by vandreadstriker

You won't really need DDR3-1866 Memory.. 1600 is enough for a gaming rig plus, that one you've chosen are rated at 1.65v.. Try getting a 1.5v since SB seems to have more tolerance with 1.5v or lower.

For the board, do you have access to ASRock or Gigabyte Boards? Many places have ASUS board prices bloated up (like where I lived) and both ASRock and Gigabyte produces quality boards too. Try this board: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

GPU, see if you can get a 560Ti (non-448 edition) for around the same price. I'd personally choose the 560Ti since it supports PhysX which would really impact some games that uses it (Batman AC for example)

I've noticed that you didn't choose any aftermarket cooler? It's better to get one if you want to OC. The CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo is a great cooler to start with. It provides very decent cooling and for a very affordable price.

:cheers:

Also, can you tell us the website of the store you're buying from (if any) so that we can help you further :thumbsup:

Unfortunately no asrock, and gigabyte z68 boards cost way too much.

I'm not sure what you mean by non 448 edition, is this one of them? http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX560_DC2DI1GD5/

I already have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 :)

I received the pricelist by mail, they don't have an online website.

Unfortunately no asrock, and gigabyte z68 boards cost way too much.

I'm not sure what you mean by non 448 edition, is this one of them? http://www.asus.com/...X560_DC2DI1GD5/

I already have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 :)

I received the pricelist by mail, they don't have an online website.

ah ok then..

Out of the two I'd get the P8Z68V-LX

No, that isn't the 560Ti nor the 560Ti 448.. The 560Ti 448 has a better performance then a normal 560Ti and cost way more too.

This was what I meant: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX560_Ti_DCII2DI1GD5/

ah ok then..

Out of the two I'd get the P8Z68V-LX

No, that isn't the 560Ti nor the 560Ti 448.. The 560Ti 448 has a better performance then a normal 560Ti and cost way more too.

This was what I meant: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX560_Ti_DCII2DI1GD5/

Would I be better off buying an i3 2100 and a 6970(or similar)?

As far as a case goes try something like the Arc Midi from Fractal Design. Have heard plenty of good things about it and has great cable management. and regarding your processor, if you are going to step down to an i3 please consider a used cpu and motherboard with an older socket. Even though it may be a gen or two old older, you wont be loosing the power of the older processor but add on features like integrated graphics and ssd caching. try looking at craigslist and see what you can find.

No - easier to upgrade your video card down the line. All your prices seemed reasonable until I got to the $270 for a 6870. :whoa: As stated above, you really wouldn't notice much improvement with the 1866 RAM. Sure you are buying yourself more OC headroom, but it shouldn't be needed to hit a good OC. Not to mention you won't notice the speed of RAM at all. If going with 1600 drops the price down enough to where you can afford the 2500k and a better video card I would definitely lean that way.

I would also make do with a cheap mouse/keyboard if it allowed me to have a better PSU, Video Card and CPU.

Thanks for your inputs, I will definitely be overclocking! Thats why I choose the K edition CPU also the 1866Mhz Ram. I'm not keen on the ValueRAM, when running MemTest the memory efficiency was dreadful.

The PC is not a replacement, it's an additional one. So can't reuse anything :)

Any recommendations on a different case, can get any brand here, I just liked the plain and simple look of that one.

Well there are quite a few cases out there that are plain and simple, but these cases with good or decent cable management systems are usually a lot more expensive.

The Fractal Design Define R3 is a decent case, but is a bit expensive. A Fractal Design Core 3000 would be a cheaper alternative, but it does not deliver every feature that the Define R3 does offer.

The Silverstone FT02B looks even better, but not everyone is willing to drop €218,- on a case.

Another alternative is the Antec Performance P280, which seems to be a very silent case.