raid 0 with 2 60g ssd's or 1 128g ssd

jdm_freek

I've got some extra cash and being a techaholic i gotta buy something for my pc.

i was thinking of replacing my kingston 64g ssd sata II with either

2 x Mushkin 60 gig ssd sata III in raid 0 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226247

or 1 ocz 128gig sata III http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227780

this is for boot drive only due to i have 3 x 2 tb drives for storage and i have never dealt with raid so im asking for input

Edited by jdm_freek

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speed of the 128 is VERY slow.

I would look for a different one, as if you raid the 2 60s your rated speed is over 1gb/sec vs 380mb/sec for the 128gb

The speed of the 128 is VERY slow.

I would look for a different one, as if you raid the 2 60s your rated speed is over 1gb/sec vs 380mb/sec for the 128gb

BS. The read/write speeds between the two setups would be indistinguishable in real use. I know, I've run the gamut from "slow" 128 GB SSDs to a pair of Vertex 3s in RAID 0.

I would suggest an Agility 3 over the one in the OP though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

BS. The read/write speeds between the two setups would be indistinguishable in real use. I know, I've run the gamut from "slow" 128 GB SSDs to a pair of Vertex 3s in RAID 0.

I would suggest an Agility 3 over the one in the OP though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

I call BS to your BS. While I do agree that raid 0 is not the best choice in this situation, you do get a real world performance boost out of raid 0 for SSDs. Between the OS and games, they both load up and save a lot quicker then a stand alone drive.

If I am wrong then explain this :biggrin:

I call BS to your BS. While I do agree that raid 0 is not the best choice in this situation, you do get a real world performance boost out of raid 0 for SSDs. Between the OS and games, they both load up and save a lot quicker then a stand alone drive.

If I am wrong then explain this :biggrin:

:mfp:

You're really going to argue that last second or two of loading? You're forgetting that in a boot test the RAID controller coming up will make a pretty big difference in boot times as well.

Sure, it's faster, but it's not worth the added complexity for the performance alone. Especially when writing, since the 60 GB drives will be slower than a single 120 GB drive.

What... Raid 0 will ALWAYS beat 1 drive of the same specs. ALWAYS. The only down fall is if he was working with 4k files and under on everything all day long. Then it will be just "indistinguishable ".

How every the Agility 3 drive is way better then the first one.

Actually, the way the controllers and memory work in SSDs, the less memory there is, the slower it will be. The largest difference will be with write performance. In the case of 60(4)GB vs 120(8)GB SSDs, the 60(4)GB drives will write about half as fast as the 120(8)GB drives, while reads stay about the same. While running two 60(4)GB SSDs in RAID0 sounds nice, it only brings the write performance around that of the 120(8)GB drive.

Read performance will increase as long as the storage controller can handle it, but you'll still only have 60(4)GB of space to use. That's a little restrictive in some cases, and so it makes more sense to buy the larger drive for the same if not slightly better write performance and still blazing read performance that will do just as well as would two small drives in RAID, all the while having twice the storage capacity. The only instances where RAID0 SSDs outweigh the single larger drive, is if you have incredibly large files that need to be read as fast as possible. I'm talking in the tens of gigabytes, but then you probably won't be fooling around with drives with such low capacity.

The video also doesn't mention capacity for the SSDs. I'm guessing they're low capacity. You wouldn't see much of an improvement if you were to see comparisons between small capacity RAID0 and a single large capacity drive.

What... Raid 0 will ALWAYS beat 1 drive of the same specs. ALWAYS. The only down fall is if he was working with 4k files and under on everything all day long. Then it will be just "indistinguishable ".

How every the Agility 3 drive is way better then the first one.

Edited by nVidia_Freak

:mfp:

In benchmarks, sure. In real use the difference is essentially nothing. Sure, a split second quicker load time is faster but going with a RAID array over a single larger drive not only doubles your chance of failure but it also comes with the loss of TRIM, increased complexity, and headaches if a re-image of the machine is needed. The jump from an HDD to any SSD is dramatic. The difference between the slower SSDs and the fastest ones is negligible unless you benchmark constantly.

Remember - I have a RAID 0 array capable of over 1 GB/s of reading/writing. I'd still trade it for a single drive of equal capacity without even blinking an eye.

For example - BluePanda has an Agility 3 120 GB drive in her machine. It boots faster than mine (thanks to the RAID controller initialization) and loading times in games between the two machines are so close it's laughable. Heck - even on her benchmarking rig (which has an original Vertex 128 GB drive) the times between her machine and mine are nearly indistinguishable.

So sure - mine is faster - but I don't sit around with a stopwatch timing things. I play games. I use my computer. Her machine is just as quick with anything hitting the disk.