Some question about the way of applying thermal paste

Lugia0529

There were threads in the past where we saw reviews of different ways of applying TIM and seeing how it looked through a flat piece of glass (I think it there was also an Intel video). Intel also specifies the best way to apply TIM on their different line of CPU's.

This video maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_461720

It seem that the method of applying thermal paste is depending on cooler right? Dot method are not suitable for cooler that have heat pipe contact on processor right?

It is true that Direct Contact coolers need a little exrta work. What I do is put some compound on them and then spread it manually and the wipe off. What you are looking for is the compound to get in the seams along the pipes. Make sure these are filled in before you mount. The with the bottom of the heatsink wiped clean, this will leave the compound in the seams, you use the pea method and you are fine.

It is true that Direct Contact coolers need a little exrta work. What I do is put some compound on them and then spread it manually and the wipe off. What you are looking for is the compound to get in the seams along the pipes. Make sure these are filled in before you mount. The with the bottom of the heatsink wiped clean, this will leave the compound in the seams, you use the pea method and you are fine.

Yeah you dont want any air trapped in the gaps between the heat pips.