Trigger has been pulled - Water cooling parts on the way

Gr4vitas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so apparently the velcro I used before to hold up my cathods was "industrial strength" so the stick substance on the back of the velcro pad just wasn't enough, not sure if it was the heat or what that caused them to become un-stuck. They did look as though they have warmed up and softened some though, the glue stuff that is.

I'm just trying to think of a good way to keep these cathodes in place as well as a decent mount solution for my pump. I don't really want to use a duct tape style solution as I've done it before and it leaves behind a really bad glue residue and in my experience the duct tape held like crap, after a few months it was all unstuck.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe know of a better velcro to use?

Use 3m dual sided foam tape. trim it to the same size as the acrylic blocks on either end and place them to a clean surface. they will not go anywhere, horizontal or vertical.

Thanks for the tips! So it looks like most of the stuff is already at my house (newegg and frozencpu got it there in 1 day lmao) still waiting on some stuff from a few other places. I'm down visiting at my girlfriends so and the rest should be at my house Tuesday, hopefully ill be able to build this coming weekend but who knows, I'm so busy I hate it -_-

I remember a time when I just sat at home all day after work and as soon as parts got to my door step I had it open fiddling with it lol. The good old days. Now I have to 'plan' a time to have an evening to work on it.

So the last of my stuff should be arriving today, I won't have time to touch anything until this weekend though. (Three day weekend though!!!!! :thumbsup: )

Just have a few questions if anyone could oblige. I know a lot of people flush there rads ether with just some hot water or a vinegar mix etc.

I read on some of the descriptions for some radiators that they "ultrasonically" clean them after manufacturing to remove and debris left over. I read that for a specific radiator (dont remember which one specifically now) and I havent read anywhere that XSPC does that but my question is it a sort of "yea you really should flush your rad" or more of a "eh most everyone does it because it doesnt take much time or effort to err on the side of caution".

The reason I even ask is because I was thinking, most people just flush by hooking it up to there sink with some hot water running for a little while, which sounds fine initially. However, I was thinking wouldn't really up the chance of introducing some kind of microbial into your system? The water in my town is pretty good but its very rich in mineral (hard water) and who knows what else, which is pretty much the perfect storm for a cooling loop. Corrosion and microbial build up is just about not only guaranteed to happen but also to happen fast if I were to put any of our tap water in a loop.

So anyway that being said, is there another way I should go about flushing my rad? Trying to heat up distilled water from the store and poor it through the rad seems like a lot of ridiculous effort but that's about the only thing I can think to do to flush it without using tap water, which I REALLY don't want to do.

Am I all wrong about this? Should I just flush with my tap water and not worry about it?

Not really. What I like to do is go to Walmart and get 3 or so gallons of distilled water, some thread seat tape and a square bucket. With an extra fitting and clamp drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and Install fitting with sealing tape. After that hook up everything to the system with the bucket draining to the pump and everything else behind it and let it drain into a bath tub.

Not really. What I like to do is go to Walmart and get 3 or so gallons of distilled water, some thread seat tape and a square bucket. With an extra fitting and clamp drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and Install fitting with sealing tape. After that hook up everything to the system with the bucket draining to the pump and everything else behind it and let it drain into a bath tub.

What about just a piece of hose with a funnel?

To clean out flux in my rads I used near-boiling distilled water. It cleans a lot more gunk out than you'd expect.

Do you just poor it down a hose with a funnel?

Something like bring a pot to boiling and turn off the burner and let it stand for 5 minutes and then poor it?