Kitting myself out with Koolance. First timer

ghostcorps

Ouch! Ok, thanks. I thought it would have protected the Copper but it looks like you are right, it takes rather than gives :( I'll go with Iodine.

Stoner: I don't mind paying attention to the loop, I get as much joy out of building and maintaining my computers as I do playing with them.

I know some biochem people who should have access to the the Triton X-100. I have alot of Potassium hydroxide already, Iodine and distilled water I can get from the pharmacy. Not sure about MBT Sodium salts yet, but I can find something else if not, anti-corrosive chems aren't difficult to find.

:)

This is how it looks at the moment:

Surfactant:

Triton X-100 (OCTYLPHENOXYPOLYETHOXYETHANOL) <1ml/100ml

Softner:

Potassium Hydroxide to a Ph around 10

Coolant:

Distilled water

Anti-corrosion:

MBT sodium salt (SODIUM MERCAPTOBENZOTHIAZOLE) <1ml/100ml

Antibacterial:

Iodine <0.5mg/ml

I shouldn't need more than 1L should I?

all of that in unneccesary imo, just use distilled water and put a killcoil in the loop somewhere

I can see kill-coils have a lot of support! I'll see if I can find some data for silver Vs Iodine :)

But that only takes care of the microbes.

The anti-corrosives and soft water will help to stop the oxidation of the metal while the surfactant will decrease the waters viscosity and increase flow. Surely this is important?

I can see kill-coils have a lot of support! I'll see if I can find some data for silver Vs Iodine :)

But that only takes care of the microbes.

The anti-corrosives and soft water will help to stop the oxidation of the metal while the surfactant will decrease the waters viscosity and increase flow. Surely this is important?

Not so much that you would get your money's worth if it even made half a degree of difference.

As long as you are not mixing metals (mainly copper and aluminium) or using shoddily plated blocks do not worry so much about corrosion.

Decrease the viscosity of water? O.o

Yup :) the article I linked to a few posts back goes into alot of detail.

Surfactants help to decrease water tension, which allows it to flow more easily over surfaces. The chemistry is pretty hardcore, but yeh that's it in a nutshell.

Triton X-100 is one of the best and is anionic so it is not conductive which is also a plus. :)

Not so much that you would get your money's worth if it even made half a degree of difference.

As long as you are not mixing metals (mainly copper and aluminium) or using shoddily plated blocks do not worry so much about corrosion.

There is little money to speak of. Distilled water is a few bucks for a few liters, Triton is about $10 for 100ml which will serve you a lifetime, I have liters of potassium hydroxide at home and bottles of iodine are only a few bucks. I haven't priced the MBT sodium salt yet, but it is also very common.

The way I see it, is if someone has gone to the trouble of writing an 18 page article on water coolants for a PC water loop, it may be worthwhile taking notes. :) If not, no loss. We've manage to get the price of the system under $800, so I am not so pressed about the cost at the moment.

Edited by ghostcorps

Would you say I have mixed metals if the waterblocks are copper with nickle plating and the fittings are brass?

[Edit:] So it is only aluminium that needs anti-corrosion additives? Cool :)

So now all I am doing is distilled water + a drop of Triton X100, then bring it up to a Ph of 10.0 with Potassium hydoxide.

Plus the kill-coil... Stoner & Mucho, yes, I know you were right :P but in this case I had to discover it myself. :)

Edited by ghostcorps

Also I know ek blocks get corroded by copper sulfate, apparently it also cab damage any nickel Bocks

That's complete BS coming from EK. Copper sulfate (IE: PT Nuke) won't corrode anything. EK just can't plate something to save their lives.

I'm also for the silver coil with distilled water. No corrosion inhibitor is needed unless you have steel or aluminum in the loop. Brass, nickel, and copper are fine.

Edited by Waco

That's complete BS coming from EK. Copper sulfate (IE: PT Nuke) won't corrode anything. EK just can't plate something to save their lives.

I'm also for the silver coil with distilled water. No corrosion inhibitor is needed unless you have steel or aluminum in the loop. Brass, nickel, and copper are fine.

Thanks Waco,

I have come to that conclusion also. I figured copper/brass/nickle was 'mixed metal' but as you say, I only have to worry if there is aluminum or steel. :) Which is good, I was having trouble locating the MBT Sodium salt lol

Thanks Waco,

I have come to that conclusion also. I figured copper/brass/nickle was 'mixed metal' but as you say, I only have to worry if there is aluminum or steel. :) Which is good, I was having trouble locating the MBT Sodium salt lol

A little off topic

Don't aquatuning blocks have steel and copper? Sounds bad

Edited by Muchoman1