Updating my rig, need assistance.

Fixedgeariain

I also stated in the first post that I was intending to avoid going with Intel

From all the research I've done today, I chose the 1090T as my musical producing/remixing ventures as well as gaming will be 100% satisfied by the AMD chip matched to the 990fx Crosshair V.

I appreciate your opinions, but when I state I want to avoid intel, I really don't need a rundown of the pros/cons of intel as it's not going to benefit what I was originally asking. That's like googling for a chinese place and getting directed to a greek sandwich shop. :blink:

Edit: when I saw "music production" it's usually just remastering a track that I've remixed or scratched and recorded onto my desktop through my Numark NS7FX turntable unit. That, or creating bassline samples for use in clubs. I will also be using this desktop to work from home from time to time and am going to be running things on both monitors. (Google Chrome/work apps on right monitor, Minecraft/Guild wars 1 on the left.)

I guess you stated that you wanted AMD and all you said is you didn't want Intel. Why? I think you yourself have seen exactly what you would be getting yourself into if you go down the AMD path right this second? My comments were to him that no, I was not recommending what I want, I was recommending what makes the most amount of sense. You could chose to listen to my advice or not. If not, I was going to move on and help figure out what the best solution was for YOUR build and just move right along. I sort of screwed up my wording which is why there is confusion and that is my fault, I wasn't thinking clearly because as I mentioned I was running to lunch. I take full responsibility. But don't sit there and think I am recommending what I want. Any one who is starting a new build and doesn't know where to go are always recommended the i5 for a reason, and I was simply giving my thoughts so that you could make absolutley sure that AMD is the way you wanted to go. I don't agree with you decision, but it is your final decision and I have moved on from intel to help you out.

That is the only motive I have had through your topic thread. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now back to the topic.

My biggest concern is that there is not a lot of logic in this build. You have 16gb of ram when 8 is plenty. Is it because you just don't like to see empty dimm slots (which is actually a real reason believe it or not)? Or do you need the ram?

Have you thought about an after market cooler?

Also, if you go with the 1090T, I would go with the Corsshair IV formula board. You won't get much benefit of spending the extra money on a AM3+ motherboard than if you were to go with an AM3 motherboard considering your choice on the CPU. There is no difference except the costs.

I would also like to see know you aren't going with Intel. I know you have said you have had issues, but what kind of issues? I only ask this because I have met a lot of people who blame a company for a faulty product when they broke it themselves. Not that I truly believe that ANY OCC member would do that and put the responsibility elsewhere, but I am still curious.

If you are going to be mainly gaming with the rig the x4s are a better choice. For the CPU I would recommend the Phenom II X4 980 BE. It is almost half the price of the BD CPU you want to get and it performs better than the FX-8150 in many instances. The Zambezi might take the lead in multi-threaded performance, but its single and lightly-threaded performance is a disappointment to say the least. Furthermore, it will specialized software to take advantage of its XOP, FMA4, and CVT16 instructions, which there isn't many at the moment.

If the selection is between the X6 1090T BE and the FX-8150, I would choose the X6 over the FX-8150, as it out performs the FX-8150 in many of the benchmarks, it is cheaper, and a better gaming solution.

Also, it is good to note that the Phenom II X4 955 and above are basically the same chip with a higher default multiplier. Thus, in theory you could achieve 980 speeds with a 955 and above by simply adjusting the multiplier.

In addition, your GPUs should suffice your current gaming needs and IMO you may not need to upgrade for another generation.

Thanks for this, gives me more to research into this.

Also, the gpus were a worry for me as I've had people I work with downtalk them as "not being good enough" :/

Unfortunately you won't get enough out of your 460's to cover but one half the cost of a new 7950.

Fortunately - the 460 cards in SLi still pack a pretty potent punch. Just need to keep the AA and eye candy to a minimum and you should be fine until prices settle down a little bit.

Unfortunately you won't get enough out of your 460's to cover but one half the cost of a new 7950.

Fortunately - the 460 cards in SLi still pack a pretty potent punch. Just need to keep the AA and eye candy to a minimum and you should be fine until prices settle down a little bit.

For sure that's what I expect, keep AA down and maybe stick to Medium-High versus "ULTRA HIGH" in games until I can afford to pop out for a 7950.

As a question, how would dual 6950's fair coupled with the crosshair V, 16GB ram, and the 1090T OC'd to 4.2ghz?

I guess you stated that you wanted AMD and all you said is you didn't want Intel. Why? I think you yourself have seen exactly what you would be getting yourself into if you go down the AMD path right this second? My comments were to him that no, I was not recommending what I want, I was recommending what makes the most amount of sense. You could chose to listen to my advice or not. If not, I was going to move on and help figure out what the best solution was for YOUR build and just move right along. I sort of screwed up my wording which is why there is confusion and that is my fault, I wasn't thinking clearly because as I mentioned I was running to lunch. I take full responsibility. But don't sit there and think I am recommending what I want. Any one who is starting a new build and doesn't know where to go are always recommended the i5 for a reason, and I was simply giving my thoughts so that you could make absolutley sure that AMD is the way you wanted to go. I don't agree with you decision, but it is your final decision and I have moved on from intel to help you out.

That is the only motive I have had through your topic thread. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now back to the topic.

My biggest concern is that there is not a lot of logic in this build. You have 16gb of ram when 8 is plenty. Is it because you just don't like to see empty dimm slots (which is actually a real reason believe it or not)? Or do you need the ram?

Have you thought about an after market cooler?

Also, if you go with the 1090T, I would go with the Corsshair IV formula board. You won't get much benefit of spending the extra money on a AM3+ motherboard than if you were to go with an AM3 motherboard considering your choice on the CPU. There is no difference except the costs.

I would also like to see know you aren't going with Intel. I know you have said you have had issues, but what kind of issues? I only ask this because I have met a lot of people who blame a company for a faulty product when they broke it themselves. Not that I truly believe that ANY OCC member would do that and put the responsibility elsewhere, but I am still curious.

As usual, I agree with your initial suggestions and I understand your angle, as I feel that way sometimes when giving suggestions as well. But since the OP is adamant about not purchasing an Intel processor, I had to respect his decision--not saying that you weren't--and give advice based on the restrictions imposed.

Thanks for this, gives me more to research into this.

Also, the gpus were a worry for me as I've had people I work with downtalk them as "not being good enough" :/

Also, I believe the X4 980 BE is comparable to the i5-2400 (that is if memory serves me well).

And to start you off have a look at: FX-8150 vs X4 980 BE Benchmarks

Like many others have suggested, 8GB worth of RAM should be more than enough for your needs, 16GB will be overkill and a waste of money.

Do not mind those people, they are probably the type of people who either: (a) have the money to spare, or (b) like having newer tech, or © like playing everything at MAX. Why drop another few hundred dollars on a new component that your current one can handle what you do just fine?

If you really want a new GPU you may be able to purchase one with the savings you will achieve if you heed our advice (and of course the selling of your current GPUs).

Edit: Initial savings estimate is ~$250 USD.

Edited by PremiumAcc

As usual, I agree with your initial suggestions and I understand your angle, as I feel that way sometimes when giving suggestions as well. But since the OP is adamant about not purchasing an Intel processor, I had to respect his decision--not saying that you weren't--and give advice based on the restrictions imposed.

Also, I believe the X4 980 BE is comparable to the i5-2400 (that is if memory serves me well).

And to start you off have a look at: FX-8150 vs X4 980 BE Benchmarks

Like many others have suggested, 8GB worth of RAM should be more than enough for your needs, 16GB will be overkill and a waste of money.

Do not mind those people, they are probably the type of people who either: (a) have the money to spare, or (b) like having newer tech, or © like playing everything at MAX. Why drop another few hundred dollars on a new component that your current one can handle what you do just fine?

If you really want a new GPU you may be able to purchase one with the savings you will achieve if you heed our advice (and of course the selling of your current GPUs).

For sure!

I am reading up on that link you just replied with, and am cutting down costs by eliminating the 8 extra GB of ram from my build and coming up all the richer for it.

Thank you all so much!

You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

Since you replied while I was editing. I wanted to let you know that the initial savings estimate is ~$250 USD. That should cover the other half of the cost of the 7950. :D

But I would advise you to wait a little longer for the prices to drop before purchasing one of those bad boys.

Edit:The savings could be even greater if you shop around for the right prices.

Edited by PremiumAcc

You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

Since you replied while I was editing. I wanted to let you know that the initial savings estimate is ~$250 USD. That should cover the other half of the cost of the 7950. :D

But I would advise you to wait a little longer for the prices to drop before purchasing one of those bad boys.

SO

X4 980T

Crosshair V formula

460's in SLI

8GB DDR3-G.Skill Sniper ram.

post-75801-0-96883800-1328042585_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fixedgeariain

If you do not mind an open box item you can save another $40 on the motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula

Personally, I have never purchased an open box item but I have heard good stories from users of other forums who have purchased open box items from Newegg.

If you do not like open boxed item, the best price for the Crosshair V MOBO is $219.99 at the moment. And I would suggest you buy the motherboard from Amazon because I do not think they have a 15% restocking fee as Newegg does (Do not quote me on this. It is best to check in with customer support before making the purchase at Amazon).