Updating my rig, need assistance.

Fixedgeariain

If you do not mind an open box item you can save another $40 on the motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula

Personally, I have never purchased an open box item but I have heard good stories from users of other forums who have purchased open box items from Newegg.

If you do not like open boxed item, the best price for the Crosshair V MOBO is $219.99 at the moment. And I would suggest you buy the motherboard from Amazon because I do not think they have a 15% restocking fee as Newegg does (Do not quote me on this. It is best to check in with customer support before making the purchase at Amazon).

Why would the restocking fee's matter much?

Say, I get a defective board?

Say, you change your mind and want a different board or find a better priced board later down the road and want to return it. If all else is equal with the exception of stocking fee, I would go with the one with the lower stocking fee.

I noticed that you are looking to buy AS5, it was on sale last month for $2 a pop on Newegg. :(

Edit: Removed my suggestion for AS5 as I saw that a [H] member was scammed by them.

Edit#2: You can purchase the AS5 from BestByte at $5.25 instead. I checked its rating at resellerratings.com to make sure it is reputable.

Edit#3: If you go with the open box mobo and the lower price AS5 you will save another ~$50, which will bring your total savings to ~$300 from your original build.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Say, you change your mind and want a different board or find a better priced board later down the road and want to return it. If all else is equal with the exception of stocking fee, I would go with the one with the lower stocking fee.

I noticed that you are looking to buy AS5, it was on sale last month for $2 a pop on Newegg. :(

Edit: Removed my suggestion for AS5 as I saw that a [H] member was scammed by them.

Edit#2: You can purchase the AS5 from BestByte at $5.25 instead. I checked its rating at resellerratings.com to make sure it is reputable.

Edit#3: If you go with the open box mobo and the lower price AS5 you will save another ~$50, which will bring your total savings to ~$300 from your original build.

Nice, the only reason I was getting the AS5 from Newegg was due to the free 6 foot HDMI cables that I was going to give to Mrs. Fixedgear to use to plug her Asus G73 laptop into our tv. I usually avoid open box stuff as I ALWAYS get the derp one of the bunch. Thanks for all your help mate!

Hey FG - on the subject of those naysayers knocking your twin GTX460 in SLI - tell them to go back just a little over a year when twin GTX 460s in SLi were king of the hill for cards that could be had for a little less than $200 a piece. I'd agree with the observation of a previous post about the type of person(s) who would be dogging that setup. I ran two GTX 460s in SLi for over a year and they were outstanding cards. Still are (Dr_Bowtie bought them from me and they are still in service to this day).

Your current GPU configuration is more than adequate for anything you want to do at resolutions up to 1920x1200 with reasonable AA and quality settings.

Nice, the only reason I was getting the AS5 from Newegg was due to the free 6 foot HDMI cables that I was going to give to Mrs. Fixedgear to use to plug her Asus G73 laptop into our tv. I usually avoid open box stuff as I ALWAYS get the derp one of the bunch. Thanks for all your help mate!

Oh, okay. Well then... Forget my AS5 suggestion then.

Newegg states in their policy that they test the open box items to make sure that they are functional. But the only problem is that they do not guarantee all the accessories are included with the product (this is the part where you utilize the warranty, if any cables are missing). But I completely understand if you do not want to purchase something that has been opened before, I used to feel the exact same way. If you are going with the brand new in box route, try inquiring into Amazon's return/refund policy for their mobo with their online customer service. If there is no restocking fee I would go with Amazon, because if you find a better deal for the same board within 30 days they will either refund you the difference or you can just return it back to them at no cost if they do not have a restocking fee (return shipping is always free).

You're welcome.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Oh, okay. Well then... Forget my AS5 suggestion then.

Newegg states in their policy that they test the open box items to make sure that they are functional. But the only problem is that they do not guarantee all the accessories are included with the product (this is the part where you utilize the warranty, if any cables are missing). But I completely understand if you do not want to purchase something that has been opened before, I used to feel the exact same way. If you are going with the brand new in box route, try inquiring into Amazon's return/refund policy for their mobo with their online customer service. If there is no restocking fee I would go with Amazon, because if you find a better deal for the same board within 30 days they will either refund you the difference or you can just return it back to them at no cost if they do not have a restocking fee (return shipping is always free).

You're welcome.

Amazon's refund/return policy won't cover price guarantee and after shopping all over the webs I've found that Newegg has the cheapest price for everything. (I am still considering the open box board).

Except for overclocking the q6600 which i beieve you have are not that much slower than a phenom II x4, and recomending the p2 980 over the p2 055 is like recoommending a factory overclocked gpu over a non overclocked identical card...

If you really are switching from your q6600, go with either the 955 BE or 1090T BE, not the 980 BE. But overclocking your q6600 is going to perform very close to a phenom 2. gaming wise there are some enhancements with the x6 over the x4, but not justifying the price premium...

At least try to overclock your q66 past 3 or 3.5GHz and watch the difference... You can carry the cooler to the next platform if you are not happy... :popcorn:

I was going to agree with Medbor but daaamn, all the good AMD cpus are out of stock at the moment. The 1090T is AMD's version of the 2500k (best chip for the price) so if you manage to find it I would buy it - canada has it in stock for $180. :glare: Though that is a pretty good deal on the 980 BE.

I agree with Wevsspot and others who said - rock the 460s till the new GTX cards come out because everything else will lower in price

(then go 7950 since you're going AMD/ATI)

If you plan on OCing at all than an after market cooler only makes sense. Unless you mentioned one as I read all 4 pages fairly quickly.

Monoprice for cables. Though if you really need the AS5 those no name cables for free will do. Remember this website though because this is where many businesses order their cables from.

I would disagree. If you compare an OC'd q6600 to a stock x4 980 BE then of course there won't be much difference. But if you OC the x4 980 BE you will definitely notice the difference in games. Furthermore, since the OP's main concern is gaming, he will not benefit much--if at all--from selecting the X6 because not many games will utilize six cores. Not to mention the X6 1090T in general is less efficient than the X4 980 BE considering the fact that it has a much higher energy consumption and heat output.

If the OP wants better multi-tasking performance then no doubt the X6 1090T is the route to go. The price difference isn't too large, it is ~$35, it will be up to the OP to weigh the pros and cons of ea and decide based on his needs.

Edited by PremiumAcc

I'd go with the 6 core, who's to say the next generation of games won't have 6 and 8 core support. Not only that if he does any video editing at all the 6 core is the way to go. :rolleyes:

Yes, you have a point. But keep in mind, by the time next generation of games to utilize six cores come out, the X6 1090T will be long forgotten.

Well... That is a given, that six cores will be better for audio/video editing/multi-tasking. Strictly speaking, the X4 980 BE is the better gaming option and you cannot deny that.