Overclocking i7 920 past 3.4

exile47

Hi All

It freezes. Have to reset to get it going again. Tried the ram at 1066 as well but still no luck. Don't quite understand why such a small bump causes so much issues.

System Specs:

Core i7 920 (C0)

Asus P6T Deluxe

3 x 2Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz Ram

Antex NeoPower 500W (51A on 12V rails)

Geforce 460GTX 1Gb GPU

Might try disabling c3 and c1e in the BIOS and all the power saving features. Lock the CPU multiplier at 21 and move up the base clock until you cannot boot the system. Let me know where you get to when the system will not boot and we can get it stable just below that and work from there.

To extend on what I asked for earlier I'm simply trying to seperate the base clock from the processor clock speed. There could be a number of things causing the system to not want to boot after 3.6-3.80 but this will effectively show and eleminate the motherboard from being the issue. Start by setting the ram to its lowest clock speed and set timing to 9-9-9-24 case latency 1n or 2n. After you have raise the base clock and have an end cpu speed past 3.40 lower the CPU multi to 19. Work it up till 3.4 is reached again then lower it to 17. Continue this until you have reached a base clock of 200 or let me know where you can go any further. I'm also concerned about the memory as that could cause a lot of issues too.

Yep, C0 stepping may require 1.40v or a little higher to get 3.8Ghz stable.

Probably out of the question with air cooling. But with that being said, OP should be able to hit 3.6Ghz with minimum effort. You've got him going in the right direction though.

Maybe start from square one. Check BIOS revision on the board. If it's not the latest, flash and reload optimized defaults and start from there? Just a thought.

Yep, C0 stepping may require 1.40v or a little higher to get 3.8Ghz stable.

Probably out of the question with air cooling. But with that being said, OP should be able to hit 3.6Ghz with minimum effort. You've got him going in the right direction though.

Maybe start from square one. Check BIOS revision on the board. If it's not the latest, flash and reload optimized defaults and start from there? Just a thought.

I can agree with that.

Im mourning my system right now. Accidently left a towel over the Top of my HAF and overheated the HECK out of everything. We shall see what happens.

I can agree with that.

Im mourning my system right now. Accidently left a towel over the Top of my HAF and overheated the HECK out of everything. We shall see what happens.

Hi

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will try the method with the base clock and see where i can get from there. The memory is a bit strange as well as i get blue screen if the run it @ 1704. Every review i've read said that the Vengeance 1600 should to that easily. Even if i loosen the timings to 10 10 10 28 2N is still gives me hassles. It is however rock solid at 1363.

So frustrating that a 200 bump can cause so much issues :)

Oh regarding the HSF its a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

Exhile - go back a couple of posts and note where I mentioned to check and make sure you had the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Your RAM should easily run at it's rated speed and timings using the dram voltage specified by Corsair. I see that you're having to pump a ton of voltage into several different components just to reach 3.6 to 3.8Ghz and that's just not right. I'll use your CPU PLL voltage as an example. 1.96v just isn't necessary at your proposed CPU speed or bclk setting.

In fact you should be able to hit 3.6 to 3.8Ghz without even touching the PLL voltage. If it needed tweaking maybe, just maybe 1.84 to 1.86v at most.

There is something else going on here and I don't think it's related to clocks or voltages. Have you measured the voltage rails on your power supply to make sure they are all within ATX specs? Do you have ALL of the aux power plugs connected where required?

Exhile - go back a couple of posts and note where I mentioned to check and make sure you had the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Your RAM should easily run at it's rated speed and timings using the dram voltage specified by Corsair. I see that you're having to pump a ton of voltage into several different components just to reach 3.6 to 3.8Ghz and that's just not right. I'll use your CPU PLL voltage as an example. 1.96v just isn't necessary at your proposed CPU speed or bclk setting.

In fact you should be able to hit 3.6 to 3.8Ghz without even touching the PLL voltage. If it needed tweaking maybe, just maybe 1.84 to 1.86v at most.

There is something else going on here and I don't think it's related to clocks or voltages. Have you measured the voltage rails on your power supply to make sure they are all within ATX specs? Do you have ALL of the aux power plugs connected where required?

I tend to agree that there's something else going on. I'm using the latest bios available for my motherboard. It also worries me that i cant run the memory at 1600. I'm new to overclocking so cant really say if the voltages are high but shouldn't it then be very stable? I've tried almost everything and just can get it stable at 3.6, in truth i can barely get into windows. I'm at a loss that 3.4 is rock solid but 3.6 just doesnt seem to happen for me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

try to overclock with 1 stick of ram. this is remove the overhead which allows for less voltage on the memory controller. I had a similar problem once with OCZ ram, it just would not go past 1066 when it was rated for 1600. switched to 1 stick and it worked fine. i ended up having to switch brands and never ran into another issues.

Corsair is a good memory company but not all the different series are the same because of different memory rated for different speeds.