Do you think SOPA will be effective?

Deathmineral

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think SOPA will be effective?

• Yes
    • No

Okay, I know we have a lot of other SOPA threads going on but I wanted to ask this simple yes or no question and I'm curious as to how the numbers turn out.

Now I want to explain my question as best as I think I can. When you answer this question, don't concern yourself with your feelings on SOPA, whether you like it or hate it isn't important, all this question is asking is if you believe SOPA, in it's current state, can or cannot effectively stop piracy.

SOPA is not passing in its current state, so I don't really see the point of this poll. Until we actually see what SOPA winds up as, I don't see how one can judge its potential effectiveness.

SOPA is not passing in its current state, so I don't really see the point of this poll. Until we actually see what SOPA winds up as, I don't see how one can judge its potential effectiveness.

Protect IP Act will be up for vote, but SOPA looks to be stalled for now. Like Clay said, no point in talking about SOPA's current state when it is being reworked right now.

Well this is really just more of an opinion thing though, it's just hypothetical really. I'm not saying SOPA will pass, I'm just curious about the number of people that think it would be effective if it did pass. It's purely hypothetical really. However if you don't feel like voting, that's fine too, like I said, I'm just curious about numbers here, I have no intention of discussing it in this thread, though discussion is welcome of course.

Nope. Won't stop pirates because they could simply move the content from one location to another. It's not like they don't have the stuff they upload or post to a site. They will just keep putting it somewhere until they are bored with it or are arrested. Actually, now that I think about it, that could end up costing the users of the bills a lot of money. Legal fees for constantly having lawyers file claims over the content that keeps moving. It would be like Whack-a-Mole, but never ending as the mole always pops up somewhere else. The only end is when you get too tired to keep swinging.

Define effective. If by effective you mean effective in terms of assisting publishing houses get more money, then yes, it will be effective.

Well probably effective in stopping piracy, like I said before. Pretty much that's all there is to it, not like effective in aiding the stop of piracy, or effective in slowing down piracy, but simply effective in stopping piracy.

Well probably effective in stopping piracy, like I said before. Pretty much that's all there is to it, not like effective in aiding the stop of piracy, or effective in slowing down piracy, but simply effective in stopping piracy.

If you want to know just how anti piracy laws work, go to the pirate bay's website. They have conversations with microsoft posted and they are hilarious. Basically, some forms of piracy is legal. Basically the Pirate bay is ran out of Norway (I think) and it is legal to pirate there. Our country is trying to super impose legality onto the problem, but really they can't do anything about it. The government does not own the internet, and the only way for them to fix piracy is if they remove it, and they can't remove all of piracy. It is impossible. Unless it becomes illegal in countries such as Norway (again I could be wrong about the country) piracy will always have a safe haven on the internet.

The reality of this bill is it is a conjured up pipe dream of some fat butt white guy sitting in Washington thinking that he will get a couple of votes for his campaign if he fights against something be evil sounding as piracy. To put it simply, the whole thing is a farce. No matter how much people want to whine and moan about piracy, the reality is, it really isn't hurting anyone. Just because we pirate win 7, does NOT mean the bill gates is going to go hungry if you catch my drift. If you pirate a song, then what? Is the little know nothing pop diva not going to be able to buy her 4th jet? Seriously. I admit piracy IS stealing, and IS frowned upon, but people need to stop whining about it like it is the black plague.

On top of that, where the hell do the politicians get off saying that piracy is bad? Aren't these the same people stealing money from the tax payers to wipe their butts with golden toilet paper. It is nothing more than a load of hypocritical bull crap.

So between the international legality of the situation, and the lack of the peoples support, AND the fact that it is all BS, really makes it clear that this bill either has a snow balls chance in you know where, or it will start a revolution because there is a whole lot more this bill is trying to "protect us from" than piracy.

If you want to know just how anti piracy laws work, go to the pirate bay's website. They have conversations with microsoft posted and they are hilarious. Basically, some forms of piracy is legal. Basically the Pirate bay is ran out of Norway (I think) and it is legal to pirate there. Our country is trying to super impose legality onto the problem, but really they can't do anything about it. The government does not own the internet, and the only way for them to fix piracy is if they remove it, and they can't remove all of piracy. It is impossible. Unless it becomes illegal in countries such as Norway (again I could be wrong about the country) piracy will always have a safe haven on the internet.

The reality of this bill is it is a conjured up pipe dream of some fat butt white guy sitting in Washington thinking that he will get a couple of votes for his campaign if he fights against something be evil sounding as piracy. To put it simply, the whole thing is a farce. No matter how much people want to whine and moan about piracy, the reality is, it really isn't hurting anyone. Just because we pirate win 7, does NOT mean the bill gates is going to go hungry if you catch my drift. If you pirate a song, then what? Is the little know nothing pop diva not going to be able to buy her 4th jet? Seriously. I admit piracy IS stealing, and IS frowned upon, but people need to stop whining about it like it is the black plague.

On top of that, where the hell do the politicians get off saying that piracy is bad? Aren't these the same people stealing money from the tax payers to wipe their butts with golden toilet paper. It is nothing more than a load of hypocritical bull crap.

So between the international legality of the situation, and the lack of the peoples support, AND the fact that it is all BS, really makes it clear that this bill either has a snow balls chance in you know where, or it will start a revolution because there is a whole lot more this bill is trying to "protect us from" than piracy.

While I don't frequent the pirate pay as much as I once did, I have read the letters you're talking about and they are a good read. :D

Now you've got me curious about the location of TPB too. I'd try looking it up but Wikipedia is in blackout mode, thanks a lot SOPA. :lol: