Do you think SOPA will be effective?

Deathmineral

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think SOPA will be effective?

• Yes
    • No

Who here has taken the time to stop bitching bout freedoms to realize that wikipedia is on blackout for 24 hours?

Haha well done Wikipedia pity they didn't do this during a more effective time in regards to schools and universities. However the amount of people affected by this action is great.

However mobile wiki appears to be working with full functionality not to mention cached pages from google should still work.

Who here has taken the time to stop bitching bout freedoms to realize that wikipedia is on blackout for 24 hours?

Haha well done Wikipedia pity they didn't do this during a more effective time in regards to schools and universities. However the amount of people affected by this action is great.

However mobile wiki appears to be working with full functionality not to mention cached pages from google should still work.

Personally I wish they'd do it for a little bit longer even. Ideally, I would like to see it done for an entire week. I would say most people don't visit Wikipedia daily, but I would guess most people do visit at least once a week, an entire week would reach almost everyone, and I really think it would give a better sense of loss than just a single day.

You know everyone is so busy saying what is wrong with the system they are proposing, and BTW I agree, yet no one is talking about how to stop piracy. Over the last few weeks on the show during our SOPA Box segments we have joined the bandwagon on complaining but this week we are going to take a different direction and talk about how we can reduce piracy.

As for the whole blackout thing, it is DUMB! The awareness of SOPA and what it is has reached about as high as it is going to go so this protest in the end does nothing to help in that area. In fact all it does is take the site down and that is it. Big ads on the front pages crying for the end of SOPA and campaigning against politicians that are for it would have been more effective, less melodramatic but more effective.

Edited by ComputerEd

You know everyone is so busy saying what is wrong with the system they are proposing, and BTW I agree, yet no one is talking about how to stop piracy. Over the last few weeks on the show during our SOPA Box segments we have joined the bandwagon on complaining but this week we are going to take a different direction and talk about how we can reduce piracy.

As for the whole blackout thing, it is DUMB! The awareness of SOPA and what it is has reached about as high as it is going to go so this protest in the end does nothing to help in that area. In fact all it does is take the site down and that is it. Big ads on the front pages crying for the end of SOPA and campaigning against politicians that are for it would have been more effective, less melodramatic but more effective.

Well now that's not quite true, there are people that are fighting SOPA and proposing a better way already. For example: Net Coalition

I'm sure there are others doing this as well though.

As for the blackout, I think it's a good thing and should be supported, not shunned. What good is it going to do to call Wikipedia dumb for being active about trying to stop SOPA? The awareness of SOPA has reached it's limit? That's an awfully bold guess if you ask me, and a most unnecessary one at that. Even if it has reached it's limit it doesn't hurt anyone for Wikipedia to continue being active in the matter. After all, Wikipedia is only second hand information, meaning that any information that could have been obtained from Wikipedia can still be obtained from it's source or other places even. Also, it still helps even if everyone already knows about SOPA, there's also the chance that not everyone has written to their congressmen about the issue, and I believe this serves as a wake up call for many people that are already aware of SOPA. To imagine having the internet censored and to actually experience it are quite different, and I think that's really what Wikipedia is aiming for with this, it's to allow people experience what could be, it's not everyday you get a chance to see the future, it's only today you get to see the future.

Regardless of everything I just said, it's really not very nice of you to call them dumb, nor is it accurate, they're the largest encyclopedia in the world, they're probably not all that dumb. I would hope that people would become more appreciative of what Wikipedia is and does for the world rather than calling it dumb, during and after today.

Edited by Deathmineral