Overclocking 3930K (WC)

NikoDG

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when cpus are made, they are made in big discs containing over 100 cpus ( i dont know the number, but it is quite large). the ones nearest the center are the purest silicone, so they oc better and whatnot, those are what are put into the highest binned cpus, whereas the outmost ones will have 4 cores taken off and become the quad core ones

So the 3930K is the middle child? :P

Not really. The 3960X is. The ones that passed all inspections are used for the Xeon chips. The 3960X is really an 8 core processor, but two of the cores were locked. The 3930K is to the lower end of the spectrum. That is why it has a sandybridge approach to overclocking rather than the free for all method we were accustom to seeing on the 1366 socket where you could change your base clock as well as your multiplier. If the chip were more stable with base clock changes and could run a little faster, then it would be an x rather than a k edition. This will change by I want to say july. I think they have yet to release their 8 core SB-E X edition. That one will be cut out of some high quality silicon :cool2:

And will probably cost $2000 considering how much the 3960X is, lol :ouch:

Yeah Intel needs to cut that crap. For me to buy a chip like that, I wouldn't mind spending the money if the profit margin per chip was 100 dollars or less. So if I knew that intel spent 900 bucks making the chip, and it was only 100 dollars extra in the companies bank account, then I would buy one. However, I have a feeling that more than half of that 1K price tag goes into the CEO's pocket.

I would buy it even if the price made sense. In benchmarks (since you wouldn't notice a difference in a real world application) the 3960X is only a 50% gain on the i7 2600K at max. Now I understand there are 2 more cores with two more threads. However, if I took the i7 2600K and gave it a 50 % price increase to match that performance level, the price tag would be 450. If I added the price of a SB i3 hyper threaded at 150 and added that to the price tag we would be at 600 bucks.

I would say 600 or even 650 is a much fairer price than 1K wouldn't you agree?

Intel really needs to step forward and explain why their chips are so expensive. Hopefully instead of the chips being made of of silicon, maybe they will be made out of silicon based life forms :P

Yeah, I was okay with ~$500 for the 3930K though, just lose 3MB L3 cache, and a 0.1GHz stock clock which is easy to gain through OC'ing. The price jump to a 3960X is ridiculous though.

The intention of the X series if for record breakers. Usually if you went with a higher end motherboard and wanted to set some world records, you could call up intel and special order a speed binned cherry picked processor. Then you would take something like and EVGA X79 or when they come out with (because I asked them to :evilgrin: ) the black edition of the Asus extreme board, rip off all the heatsinks, replace them with liquid helium blocks, and get to town overclocking the thing to 7-8 ghz as you dump thermos after thermos of coolant on the thing.

That is the only real use anyone could get out of it, but it still doesn't explain the price :-/

The intention of the X series if for record breakers. Usually if you went with a higher end motherboard and wanted to set some world records, you could call up intel and special order a speed binned cherry picked processor. Then you would take something like and EVGA X79 or when they come out with (because I asked them to :evilgrin: ) the black edition of the Asus extreme board, rip off all the heatsinks, replace them with liquid helium blocks, and get to town overclocking the thing to 7-8 ghz as you dump thermos after thermos of coolant on the thing.

That is the only real use anyone could get out of it, but it still doesn't explain the price :-/

yeah, its like the matrix platinum, its crazy price is because its designed for crazy ln2 work

From what I've seen : 4.8GHz will take around 1.45v . 5GHz will take anything from 1.5v to 1.55v depending on your luck :)

I'm going that I well be able to get the xeons to at least 4.5, but 5 would be sweet. Imagine 5GHz on 12 cores