EVGA Precision program

ishyishy

Hello,

I have some questions and concerns regarding my gpu temperature. I have a EVGA GTX 580 3GB, and I use the evga Precision software for temp monitoring. Does anyone know the threshold of temperature with this card? How hot can it get before it becomes at risk of shutting down?

I am playing starcraft 2 with settings maxed. FPS over 80-90 the entire time no matter what is on the screen. However, the temperature just reached 86C. This looks dangerous to me. I went into Precision and enabled the 'software automatic fan control' and the temperature will not go past 70C. This seems really good. But, the fan is getting as high as 3030 RPM's. Now its THIS that seems really high. I dont want to burn out the fan motor lol.

Can anyone explain to me if I am in a good or a bad spot here? I really dont know anything about temperatures and fan control.

I can play starcraft 2 with settings maxed on my 6850, so somethings not right. I would keep the clocks at stock or get a better cooler if you want to OC. 86C is getting on the hot side.

Edited by Black64

This card handles everything I have on max settings. That isnt tha part I am worried about. I need someone to help me optimize the fan control so I get the lowest temperature while getting the RPM's as low as possible. I dont overclock anything either. Also I am playing crysis 2 at max graphic settings and the temp doesnt go above 75C at any time, but for some reason Sc2 it does.

Edited by ishyishy

This card handles everything I have on max settings. That isnt tha part I am worried about. I need someone to help me optimize the fan control so I get the lowest temperature while getting the RPM's as low as possible. I dont overclock anything either. Also I am playing crysis 2 at max graphic settings and the temp doesnt go above 75C at any time, but for some reason Sc2 it does.

Hmm that is very odd indeed, especially since your card isn't overclocked. I use MSI Afterburner to control my fan speed but I uploaded a pic of my custom fan profile so you can see how it is set up. Basically it's a sort of logarithmic curve set up to ensure the card doesn't reach much higher than 80-82C. It works pretty well and it usually stays nice and cool.

In regards to your worries about the fan motor burning out, EVGA uses pretty high-quality bearings, and the fans are designed to be run at 100% for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about your fan speed ramping up. Unless the noise bothers you, I'd rather see you have a high fan speed and low temps than vice versa ;)

post-72669-0-08870200-1324869347_thumb.jpg

I tried checking the elysium case review for the gpu load temps only the various cases tested use a 6970, but I'm sure a google search for case reviews with a 580 could give the answer. Actually the temp would not be a "threshold" temp, but a load temp with a 580 in differing cases. How is the fan setup in the case? I am thinking the system is fine as is though. I doubt the fan would last beyond about six months of heavy gaming at 3000 rpm. Two stock cpu heatsinks I have had have developed a strange noise after a period of time operating at high rpm. The low speed fan on my rad has no problem though.

man, that sounds like my GTX470. it will idle @ 39c with 40% fan, but anytime I game, within a minute or two its up to 101c and 95% fans, and thats on stock clocks.

eventually I started the games i liked, with maxx settings and my fan @ 95%. I slowly lowered the fanspeed as i gamed to eventually find it would do the same cooling at 89% fanspeed. doesn't sound like much but thenoise actually is not as bad

some games like sc2 have things that can trick you into thinking somethings wrong too. in the main screen on SC2 if you don't have vsync on, the background "universe" (the objects,stars,planet,cosmic mist) goes basically as fast as your system can, pretty much using as much GPU as you can give it. its pretty silly.

On sc2:

My temp is the same on the main profile/loading/queing w/e you want to call it screen, as a game with units maxed out and everything on the screen at once. That makes no sense at all to me..

Maybe I should speak to EVGA technitians about how to properly set up my precision to reach my end goal of lowest temp to lowest RPM ratio. I am greatful for the comments here but I guess it is unrealistic for someone to tell me how to configure it if they dont have identicle equipnment that I have. I am still worried about high RPM's. I have never in my life had any fans on anything in a computer reach these kinds of RPM's and/or noise level.

The card I used before was a evga 9800 gtx+ and it never had these kinds of fan speeds under load. Yeah I couldnt max out everything I played, but I put everything as high as the card would allow with good frame rates.

I registered my card with evga so I am elligible for the warrenty, but I really dont want to have to deal with that lol. It would be bad enough not having a working computer for any amount of time, let alone waiting for them to fix my card or send me a replacement.

About my case:

It is an antec 1200 (i think). It has 3 120mm fans in front, a huge one on top, a 120 on the side and 2 120's in the back. I dont have anything set to maximum speed, it is all on medium. My case is a tiny bit "stuffy" in terms of cords and hardware, but it isnt bad. The only fan that is really blocked is the bottom front one because I dont have a module PSU, and it really isnt even completely blocked off either. I dont really know how I would tell if the airflow in my case was working optimally or not.

Temp in the room is around 68-75, depends on if the heater is on. Doesnt really go above 75 usually though.

Edited by ishyishy