For all the would be software pirates.

InCrYsIs

Honestly, you're going to need something a bit more if you're going to convince me that the average pirate is of the same level of wrong doing as murderers, politicians, and corporate executives. Something I think many people don't seem to realize about piracy is that it's a mole hill being treated like a mountain. People have gone to prison for this sort of thing, that's ridiculous, we treat these people like murderers when they're nothing of the sort.

I agree that piracy is wrong but it some people need to learn to use a measuring cup.

100% agreed.

I'm not bragging but something being "against the law" to me personally is of no relevance to the things I do.

I consider myself a pretty moral person, I just don't like being told what to do.

That does not mean that I'm selfish, I just weigh things by my own standards as to whether it's acceptable to do.

Of course the idea that something I do has repercussions VIA the law is on the mind, but that isn't the sole reason why I don't do it.

To me piracy is worse than drug use (depending on the drug of course) but so incredibly far from any form of physical or verbal assault/violence that it's laughable that some people group all 'criminals' together.

I don't even know where I'm going with this... but it'd be nice if more people were open minded and could look at things subjectively.

100% agreed.

I'm not bragging but something being "against the law" to me personally is of no relevance to the things I do.

I consider myself a pretty moral person, I just don't like being told what to do.

That does not mean that I'm selfish, I just weigh things by my own standards as to whether it's acceptable to do.

Of course the idea that something I do has repercussions VIA the law is on the mind, but that isn't the sole reason why I don't do it.

To me piracy is worse than drug use (depending on the drug of course) but so incredibly far from any form of physical or verbal assault/violence that it's laughable that some people group all 'criminals' together.

I don't even know where I'm going with this... but it'd be nice if more people were open minded and could look at things subjectively.

It's interesting that you mention drugs because I was actually considering using that as an example in my last post, like if there were an order it would be marijuana, piracy, meth, that being least bad - worst. The reason I didn't use it though was because of how controversial drugs themselves are, like some people may feel weed is absolutely harmless, I know I do anyway, where as others may feel it's just as bad as murder. So it's hard to use that as an example of measurements.

Dragon Age 2 was funny. They released a very limited demo. If I had gotten a little more out of that demo I probably would have realized the game sucked and wasn't nearly as good as origins. I probably wouldn't have bought it on release day and waited until it was 29 or something. Smart move by EA and Bioware not letting you get far enough in to realize it was trash.

This ^

When game devs like Bioware release a game this horrible purely as a money grab it's no wonder people take to pirating. There was no way to know from the demo how bad it would be, but this game totally leached of it's predecessor's success and I ended up paying $70 after tax for a steaming pile of ..

Also game torrents areriddled with viruses so pirates get what they paid for (or didn't pay for in this case).

Also game torrents areriddled with viruses so pirates get what they paid for (or didn't pay for in this case).

You're doing it wrong. :P

You do bring up a good point though. A lot of people I know are often times discouraged from pirating stuff because they usually end up getting viruses from it.

That could be a good way for the game companies to fight piracy, release torrents of their own games filled with viruses. :lol:

People have a right to other people's things? I didnt know that I had no idea that someone's existence constituted their right to things like music, movies, games.....

"without music life would be a mistake"

whats the point of your sigbar quote if you cant afford to hear it?

sounds like he'd think life would be a mistake.

so can you please change it to

"without affordable music, and a job/money to buy it. life would be a mistake"

what does "stonerboy" reference? sounds like another lowly criminal activity that your overlooking because you do it, and if your a stoner then your just as low as the pirate.

if your going to try and judge someone over breaking laws, and you yourself break the law, then your opinion is as invalid as it is worthless

what does "stonerboy" reference? sounds like another lowly criminal activity that your overlooking because you do it, and if your a stoner then your just as low as the pirate.

if your going to try and judge someone over breaking laws, and you yourself break the law, then your opinion is as invalid as it is worthless

Would you like a pic of the CDs strewn across my shelves? I can afford to buy myself music because I don't classy lady and moan about how hard life is and go out and work. So I can treat myself to things. Like music, movies and games. I also am smart about how I shop for things no need to buy something at $30-40 when in a few weeks it will be on sale or discounted to $5-10.

Also I haven't ever done drugs and don't believe I will start, the nick is just because all too often I look stoned in pics. I have my vice, single malt whiskey, I know that but that is pretty much it.

I am not going to say I am innocent of pirating because I sure as hell aint, but I do not believe that anyone has a right to something just because they want it and don't actually need it.

One thing you can have a go at me for is torrenting free to air tv and lost discs.

Honestly, you're going to need something a bit more if you're going to convince me that the average pirate is of the same level of wrong doing as murderers, politicians, and corporate executives. Something I think many people don't seem to realize about piracy is that it's a mole hill being treated like a mountain. People have gone to prison for this sort of thing, that's ridiculous, we treat these people like murderers when they're nothing of the sort.

I agree that piracy is wrong but it some people need to learn to use a measuring cup.

I will not disagree that it is not on the same level but that does not mean it is not wrong. Whats worse is it is people doing the wrong thing without believing it is wrong. What is even worse it is not justifiable in any measure. Stealing for food, killing because you think you are protecting someone. These might be crimes but they at least have a real reason. Stealing a video game because you want it for free is just a selfish crook plain and simple.

:lol: If it were 5 years ago, sure. That's not how peer to peer software works any more and it hasn't been that way for a long time.

Do you really think the whole internet goes down whenever Blizzard releases a patch or expansion for WoW? It uses the Bittorrent protocol you know. ;) There's nothing evil inherent in peer to peer software even though many media outlets would love for that to be the general consensus of the population. When it really comes down to it peer to peer software is far better for the health of the internet whenever something is in demand. :cheers:

Those WoW players might be taking a big chunk but they do it for like an hour or so and that's it. The pirates often use the full bandwidth up and down full tilt 24/7, THAT is where the issue comes in. We actually see this hit every semester when the new students move in however the local service finally updated by adding another node, thank god. I do not think there is anything evil with the software, personally I think it is a solid system for use. However as with any tool there are people that abuse it.

When game devs like Bioware release a game this horrible purely as a money grab it's no wonder people take to pirating. There was no way to know from the demo how bad it would be, but this game totally leached of it's predecessor's success and I ended up paying $70 after tax for a steaming pile of

So if a diner serves you a bad meal then it is okay for people to steal food from them? There is ZERO justification for piracy.

Are you seriously going to use an argument this STUPID with a straight face? There are a ton of ways to get your music legal and FREE why on earth would you need to steal it?