Intel Core i5 CPU U 520

Hasbeast

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and also new to any of this overclocking malarkey. I'll start by saying that I know how to overclock my processor, or at least I know how to do it in setup through the allowed method. What I'd like to ask you experts out there is how much increased GHz can I expect on my processor through overclocking? Without overclock it runs at roughly 1624 MHz.

Also, when I've tried to overclock and play games my notebook has overheated and shut down, is there any cooling system I can get for a notebook?

Damn, that sucks. A "gaming" laptop that can't play hardly anything :unsure:

The word 'Gaming laptop' is more of marketing term than real world term based on performance. And yes, never overclock!! (I think every option related to overclocking would be disabled at that laptop)

"Gaming Laptop" is kinda of silly word, it's like "coldfire", it doesn't really mix well.

Depends on your definition of 'laptop'. My laptop will still play BF3 on high with mild AA or ultra with no AA and it's 2 years old now. The downside is it looks like a slate slab and weighs as much as one too :biggrin:

"Gaming Laptop" is kinda of silly word, it's like "coldfire", it doesn't really mix well.

Yeah I agree. The battery life is so pathetic when you play a game that you will probably have it plugged in anyways. So unless you are traveling a lot, there is really no difference between the laptop and a desktop in regards to portability.

Next time you purchase a "gaming" laptop, go with sager or the asus gaming series ones. They don't cost the same premium as an alienware one, so when you can't play games on it any more, it won't be sharp stick in your eye.

Yeah I agree. The battery life is so pathetic when you play a game that you will probably have it plugged in anyways. So unless you are traveling a lot, there is really no difference between the laptop and a desktop in regards to portability.

Next time you purchase a "gaming" laptop, go with sager or the asus gaming series ones. They don't cost the same premium as an alienware one, so when you can't play games on it any more, it won't be sharp stick in your eye.

+1 for asus.

And yeah, the battery life in gaming is less than an hour but I will contest the difference between a desktop and my asus. If you have the need and ability to get one, it's a million times easier to throw the power brick and laptop into a backpack and go somewhere than to have to pack up a separate tower, keyboard, monitor, ect.

+1 for asus. The only thing they don't have is overpricing.

+1 for asus.

And yeah, the battery life in gaming is less than an hour but I will contest the difference between a desktop and my asus. If you have the need and ability to get one, it's a million times easier to throw the power brick and laptop into a backpack and go somewhere than to have to pack up a separate tower, keyboard, monitor, ect.

Yeah it is great for travel when you have electrical outlets. But when you go to school, and all the outlets are taken and you want to play a game to get your mind off how much you hate a teacher who thinks art is just god's gift to the world and you only have 30 minutes of battery life when you need to kill 4 hours.......It SUCKS! :lol:

I got an alienware 18 inch laptop. I used it for a day. Then promptly returned it. Then I bought an Asus G74SX and it worked wonders. The gaming wasn't as good, but the battery life was about 3 hours and after putting in some SSDs it was able to play crysis for about 3 and half hours on battery alone.

Any ways, back on topic. I don't know if you would care to do this, but if your laptop isn't powerful enough, have you considered just buying a new processor for it? Newegg sells some laptop processors, and while they are expensive, it would be better than trying to buy a whole new laptop. I know it isn't the best option in the world, but I hope it gives you something to think about.