CPU Heatsink query

trace_87

I am doing a PC upgrade and I was wondering whether or not my older CPU fan/sink will work with my new config.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro socket 775

I used it with my C2D e8400 socket 775, I'm not sure if it works with anything else.. Will the bracket fit with a Z68 / 1155 setup? Can I order a part to make it fit?

I contacted AC support but I haven't heard back.

Thanks

Edited by trace_87

The bracket will not fit. Socket 775 and 1155 have totally different layouts so unless they make a special bracket for it then I would get ahead and get another cooler. Good ones go for cheap these days. My I recommend the coolermaster hyper 212 evolution as a good replacement.

The bracket will not fit. Socket 775 and 1155 have totally different layouts so unless they make a special bracket for it then I would get ahead and get another cooler. Good ones go for cheap these days. My I recommend the coolermaster hyper 212 evolution as a good replacement.

:withstupid: +1 for the Hyper 212 Evo - OCC Review

Cheap and a good bang for the buck but the 212 is crappy for good overclocking but oK for mild overclocking.

Tell that to my friend getting 4.5ghz on his 2500K with one :P it took like 20 minutes too. (And it was the 212+ not th evo)

• Like 1

Cheap and a good bang for the buck but the 212 is crappy for good overclocking but oK for mild overclocking.

I agree with Dr death the 212+ is good for just about anything mild with most sockets. With the colder running chips they are great such as sandy bridge 1155 but the sandy bridge e and the 1366 i7 they don't do so well as the heat is too much for the 212+ to cycle out. The 212 evolution on the other hand performs well along side a effaced superclocked at half the cost and is a better design all together. Other Then that for coolermaster the next step is there huge cooler. Hyper npwm I think and its massive to say the least.

Would I have trouble fitting the Hyper 212 Evo in an Antec Three Hundred case? Would there be an issue with this and G SKILL Snapjaws ram coexisting?

I've heard good things about XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283, is it better than the 212?

I don't think I'd be willing to spend over $40 on an air setup.

Edited by trace_87

Would I have trouble fitting the Hyper 212 Evo in an Antec Three Hundred case? Would there be an issue with this and G SKILL Snapjaws ram coexisting?

I've heard good things about XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283, is it better than the 212?

I don't think I'd be willing to spend over $40 on an air setup.

That's also a great cooler for the money, but I would think the 212 would be a smidge better

I did a little research via newegg comments, and I'm afraid the cooler will block a slot of memory (I have the big G.SKILL sinks). Has anyone used the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO with an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3?

It's not a huge deal, I plan on running with 2 sticks, but I might decide to expand later. I guess maybe I could just purchase 4x sticks of whatever (that would fit in) to have matching sets for overclocking and sell my existing ram.

The hyper 212 and 212 plus are both very thin. The radiator or cooling tower is just barely wider Then the zif socket that the processor sits in. It be hard pressed to get in the way of the ram. Along with that you can Orient the fan any way you like so you could raise the fan on the hsf a little to clear the ram. I doubt you will need to do any of That thought.

My thoughts. Boinker.