Dual purpose build

Muchoman1

Muchoman I say get yourself your enthusiast set up with your 2011 mobo and 3930k and get a second build 1155 with a 2600k dedicated to photoshop.

For the $680 the 3930k costs you can grab the 2600k, mobo, a . load of ram and then a GPU. Run your tri 7970s on the 2011 board and leave your photoshop 1155 board alone with your old 6970s when the time comes. Water cool them by all means and oc them a bit with your awesome new desk but trying to do what you want with the dual cpu board is insanity at it's finest imo. Spend less money get greater functionality and have two pc's that will play games LAN at very high settings on one and beyond extreme on the other.

Just my two cents.

hmm, probably the better way to do things, but the sr3 is so ridiculous it just has to work! :biggrin:

ill probably just do that with the 2011 system and the 1155, prolly go with the 2500k imo, and then i can have a computer in each side of the desk :biggrin:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, probably the better way to do things, but the sr3 is so ridiculous it just has to work! :biggrin:

ill probably just do that with the 2011 system and the 1155, prolly go with the 2500k imo, and then i can have a computer in each side of the desk :biggrin:

No no photoshop can use hyper-threading and multi-cores so let it. Well true most of the time the hyper threading is doing jack due to the physical cores actually being better on there own for different photoshop tasks.

cool, so is there a way to dedicate a amount of gpu horsepower to it as well? or will it just take what it needs? so would it be better to have it in 3/4 way sli/cf or 2/3 way and leave the last card standalone?

GPU acceleration in virtual machines is iffy at best...and it's certainly not fast. Like I mentioned before, the GPUs inside the VMs are virtualized standard GPUs that then have drawing commands passed to the host. It works, but it's not anywhere near native performance. For Photoshop it'd be fine (since you don't need to use the GPUs to do the work) but it would suck for gaming.

Why do you want to be able to game/Photoshop at the same time anyway? If you're the only one at the desk it seems like it'd be both easier and more cost-effective to simply tab out of the game you're playing to work with Photoshop.

Perhaps I'm just confused what your motives are here...

to put it simply, my family want a computer for my sister, and she will only be using it occasionally, and they dont want multiple computers cluttering up the room, (which is ironic cause of the desk coming in) so i had the idea of making a hugely powerful system that can be split into multiple machines. for the majority of the time i will be the only one using it, and the only things she wants to be able to do is photoshop and play skyrim, all of which can be easily handled by the system. so i thought that by getting the sr3, dual 6/8 core xeons and 3-4 gpus and 32gb ram, i could split it when needed, which isnt very often, and then use all of it when its not needed to be split. i already have many keyboards and 5 screens in the room, so i was hoping that i could have it so i can game on the main system while the other part is used at the same time occasionally.

between my parents and sister, they would be paying for the mobo, 1 gpu and the ram, as that is how much it would cost to setup a decent photoshop rig anyway, and i was doing a 2011 socket build around that time, as im selling of my current rig to a friend.

so by taking the cost of the mobo out (350+ for a 3 way cross/sli 2011 board), gpu (400-450 for the 7970) and ram (150 for a 16gb dominator kit) it would take 900 out of the build i was planning, which would be offset by the extra cpu (600) and the second psu i would get (300)

This would make the build cost the same to me, and i would end up with 6 extra cores, 16gb ram and another gpu, while keeping the rest of my family happy. i am already going to be watercooling and the price of the couple of extra blocks i can live with for a build like this.

the idea initally came to me cause of my parents not wanting 2 computers in the room, so they asked if one system can be split into multiple smaller ones virtually. so thats the idea behind the build.

it costs the same either way, its going to have alot more ep33n factor (lol), be a nicer build and be more powerful

I think it's a lost cause, to be honest. Just build two systems and be done with it - the hassles of setting up what you want will far outweigh the ease of just building two systems. By all means, put both of them into the desk, but I wouldn't even bother trying to set up a single machine like you're thinking of.

I think it's a lost cause, to be honest. Just build two systems and be done with it - the hassles of setting up what you want will far outweigh the ease of just building two systems. By all means, put both of them into the desk, but I wouldn't even bother trying to set up a single machine like you're thinking of.

thats the problem though, i cant do two systems, it has to be one or i get booted off my system each fay when she wants to photoshop/skyrim, even putting both in the desk is unacceptable. and i have alot of time to set this thing up, cause i have till april next year on holidays, so i got plenty of time. the main purpose for the secondary system is photoshop, with only light, non graphics card intensive games played on it occasionally, so unless i will get almost no gpu power through the vm, its fine

so this isnt a "is it practical to do so?" its a "can this be done?"

Edited by Muchoman1

I'll attempt to install 3dmark06 in a VM tonight to let you know how it works.

thanks heaps

too bad forum wars 2012 is canned, if i get this bad boy off the ground :evilgrin:

also waco, you would know alot about wcing a quadfire setup, would dual 4x120mm rads with 8 gentle typhoons be enough to keep quadfire under control? and would a third 4x120 be good for the ram, mobo and the dual xeons oc?

Just an FYI, Virtual machines with GPU's will not play games effectively. Photoshop yes, games no.

You would still need a terminal of kind to remote into the virtual machine to remotely attach the keyboard mouse and monitor. A netbook or Nettop would serve this purpose well. But doesnt change than you STILL need a 2nd computer in the room either way.

Its going to have to be 2 builds. Make the 2nd computer a micro ATX build that can be cleverly hidden or perhaps "attached" the your main rig to look as if it was all one computer.

Just an FYI, Virtual machines with GPU's will not play games effectively. Photoshop yes, games no.

You would still need a terminal of kind to remote into the virtual machine to remotely attach the keyboard mouse and monitor. A netbook or Nettop would serve this purpose well. But doesnt change than you STILL need a 2nd computer in the room either way.

Its going to have to be 2 builds. Make the 2nd computer a micro ATX build that can be cleverly hidden or perhaps "attached" the your main rig to look as if it was all one computer.

Why did this fly right over my head? :lol:

Definitely go with two machines - I totally forgot you need a second computer to remotely connect (assuming you could even stream video fast enough to do it). You'd think that would have been in the front of my mind since I'm the one who suggested connecting with a remote machine in the first place. :lol:

:withstupid:

I've already got a matx system in the room, used for downloading and the like, forget how dumb doing this over one rig sounds, I just need to know how to do it

There are also multiple laptops in the room anyway, so thats not an issue

Edited by Muchoman1