Need help deciding between 3 soundcards

Redspeed93

Hey everyone!

I've set my mind on buying a soundcard and these are the 3 contestants, which are around the same pricelevel here in Denmark:

Auzen X-Fi Bravura(180 usd)

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_bravura.php

Asus Xonar DX2(180 usd)

http://usa.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_D2X/

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro(130 usd)

http://uk.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-titanium-fatal1ty-professional-series/1-17791.aspx

OR should I wait and see what creative got in the mix, a card called Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro:

http://uk.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-recon3d-fatal1ty-professional/1-20886.aspx

.... or is there a great card i completely missed?

Thanks in advance :D

All three of the sound cards you've proposed are dandys. A lot of this might depend on your budget and how much of an audiophile you consider yourself to be. Likewise, knowing what the majority of content you'll be listening to would probably help us make a better recommendation. Personally (considering the cost difference) I'd pick the SB x-FI Titanium. I've got two of those (one in my gaming rig and one in my HTPC) and they are fantastic cards. Not taking anything away from the Auzentech or Xonar cards, which are both great too. But hey a $50 buck savings is a $50 bucks savings :)

I have both the Titanium and the DX and prefer the Titanium. The sound is about equal, the cost is lower and while both have front panel connections the DX does not auto shutoff the rear when the front is plugged in.

I have both the Titanium and the DX and prefer the Titanium. The sound is about equal, the cost is lower and while both have front panel connections the DX does not auto shutoff the rear when the front is plugged in.

Great to know, thanks :)

Well actually the only reason I'm thinking of buying a dedicated soundcard is because of all the problems with my onboard soundcard, which is powered by Realtek which means it's crap in every way. :P

The drivers are a complete mess and I have always had problems with Realtek.

This leads to me saying that I'm not an audiophile in any way, I just want something that works. But if all cards are performing equally, i'd of course go with the Creative.

You'll probably get a lot of argument from those who love their Asus and Auzentech cards, but for the money I'm 100% convinced you won't be disappointed with the x-Fi Titanium then. It really is a nifty card, and Creative has come a long way with their driver and application packages.

I have had the D2 for over 2 years now, and it is an amazing card. I cant recommend it enough.

Before the D2 I had a Razer Barracuda and a Auzentech X-Mystique. The ASUS sounds better than both.

The software isnt that great though.... Never had a creative card but the software looks alot better. (Tbh this isnt a biggie, as I never make any changes using the software)

What exactly are you hooking up to the sound card? Stereo speakers, surround speakers, headphones?

Personally, my vote would be for the X-Fi Titanium HD (different from the one you listed) or an ASUS Xonar.

Well right now I have my Logitech Z5500 AND my CM Storm Sirus hooked up to my onboard soundcard(both connected via analogue 3 x 3.5mm jack, using spiller cables) So I currently have 2 x 5.1 sounds systems.

Edited by Redspeed93

Just wanna chime in here and say that since your Z5500s have a digital input, you'd want to get a soundcard that has Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS Connect, so you can throw live-encoded 5.1 from games (as well as any other source) to your speakers using a single cable, and then you can have your headphones connected to the analog outs, all without splitters which reduce volume/quality.