First OCC

Omerta101

Hey guys, so this is my first build of a computer, I had a budget from what I could build! so here it is

Windows 7 64bit

Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz Quad Core

4G DDR3 Kingston

ATI Radeon HD 6870

21.5" LED Samsung Monitor

Fatality Headset

Antec Dark Force 30 Case + Side Fan

550W PSU Cooler Master

GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 Motherboard

I would like to overclock my ATI 6870 for Battlefield 3. I can play on High settings no problems, but on Ultra is gets choppy/lags. Since i am new to overclocking, do I even have a high enough power supply? I have Sapphires Trixx installed as well. Advice would be great, thanks!!

post-80355-0-03767800-1322174126_thumb.jpg

Nice build! :thumbsup: Your PSU is enough but that's not the problem, OCing a GPU only will give you 1-10 more fps so it won't allow you to play on ultra. Also your CPU has more then enough power to handle it. If you want to play on Ultra consider upgrading your GPU.

Edited by Black6464

Omerta welcome to OCC :cheers:

You will get more help on OCing your 6870 by posting a topic over here ;) Also, you might try OCing your 2600K. But, you didn't say anything about an aftermarket cooler, are you using the stock intel heatsink? If you are then you should prob not OC the CPU much. But, OCing both the CPU and GPU should help. Like Black sd though, you still might not be able to go on Ultra settings w/o lag on a single 6870

Ah very sweet! I'm glad to hear I have enough PSU atleast, so what you are saying is I should upgrade to the ATI 6950 or higher ?? I also have the option of upgrading my ram from 4gb to 8gb for only $50. I forgot to mention my hard drive is a Seagate 7200 1TB, do you think this could be a possibility of running BF3 at Ultra or is that just loading speed?

Your hard drive only matters on loading, not in game. If you are just gaming, then you won't see a difference in game by adding the additional 4GB of RAM. A 6950 would be a nice jump in performance, but a 2nd 6870 in Crossfire would give you better performance than a single 6950! However, you then you would prob need a new PSU :P

I have just checked out some wicked cooling and controls. Before I buy these two items, your opinion would be great! By adding the fan controller and after market CPU cooling, will I need an upgrade for my power supply? This is an early Christmas present for myself aha. Both from tigerdirect.ca If i do need a new PSU what would you recommend for around $120/750+ Watts

NZXT Sentry II SEN2-001 5.25" Touch Screen Fan Controller

Thermaltake CLP0554 SpinQ VT Universal CPU Cooling Fan (it fits aha)

Yes! most definitely is cheaper and performance is better. The one reason i chose that cooler was the universal attachment, having to put a back-plate on the mobo... is like playing operation for me lol For someone else to instal it would be an added $60 =(

Is there anyway to monitor the amount of watts your computer uses? For when I overclock i was hoping to see how much power I would be using. The two parts are suppose to come for Dec 1st!

Another vote for the CM Hyper 212+ (and welcome to OCC). Paul is one of the most knowledgeable power supply gurus that we have here at OCC - so heed his wise recommendations. :)

Regarding the backplate installation - it isn't surgery so don't let that worry you. The only hassle is if that you may need to remove the motherboard from the case in order to properly install it. Other than that it's the backplate itself, usually four small machine screws and possible some insulation strips to prevent the metal backplate from shorting out against the back of the motherboard. It really is a snap. Don't worry!

Okay so now I have installed both new parts =) was pretty easy... did one stupid move in the beginning... installed the Cooler control upside down lol! Anyways with all this added in now, how do I start to OC properly? I have MSI Afterburner installed I posted some pictures of the new installed stuff, looks pretty nice!

post-80355-0-02934600-1322690113_thumb.jpg

post-80355-0-58755500-1322690127_thumb.jpg

post-80355-0-17361400-1322690146_thumb.jpg