The Hive

Muchoman1

Definitely the dual ax 1200s. It'll provide plenty of headroom, makes the sleeving easier, maybe the cabling easier and gives more bragging right. As if the rest of the parts won't already do that :)

another question. out of selling my pc and buying a tempory rig, im getting a 460 superclock, i was wondering if that would be useful as a physx card running alongside the 670/680s going into my rig, would it be able to keep up? would it be worth it? would it make a difference?

if not, it will go in my lan rig, which only has a 8800 in it right now =/

so, the i7 3960X gets 9.6 in cinebench at stock 3.3 ghz, and then 13.9 at over 4.7

the dual e5 2630s at 2.2ghz pull 16.12, so when overclocked in the sr-x, they will destroy any single 6 core, EVEN at 5 ghz

*cough nyt cough*

so when paired with the sr-x and 32/64gb of corsair dominator ram, i think it will be fair to say they are plenty powerful :biggrin:

now lets see some trifire kelper action :evilgrin:

I am curious about something, not just with this project but with the various desk projects I have seen. The general construction should result in the computers normal vibrations creating a lot of noise. The wooden construction means this is essentially a giant speaker box. I would presume a lot of rubber grommeting is being used to isolate any component that will have vibration from the wood. Also were are you going to have the air exhaust ports? Exhausting from the bottom could work but would not be efficient and would basically be a leg heater. From the top would be the most efficient but not the most practical. From the sides would work but only if the desk has no walls near the two sides and the back has the issue that the walls would need to be kept away by at least about 3" to ensure enough air flow, if not more.

I am curious about something, not just with this project but with the various desk projects I have seen. The general construction should result in the computers normal vibrations creating a lot of noise. The wooden construction means this is essentially a giant speaker box. I would presume a lot of rubber grommeting is being used to isolate any component that will have vibration from the wood. Also were are you going to have the air exhaust ports? Exhausting from the bottom could work but would not be efficient and would basically be a leg heater. From the top would be the most efficient but not the most practical. From the sides would work but only if the desk has no walls near the two sides and the back has the issue that the walls would need to be kept away by at least about 3" to ensure enough air flow, if not more.

yes, i have thought of all these things.

the rads, fans, pumps, blu ray drive and the hdds are all going to be on grommets, the inside of the desk is compartmentalised as you can see on some pics on previous pages. there will also be rubber strips on the panel joints to stop panel vibration.

the desk draws air through dual 480mm rads mounted on the back, with fan filters and the like. there will be enough room behind the desk to get behind if modifications need to be done, as this is a very heavy computer. there is also enough room for it to draw in air, about a foot or so.

the hot air is then exhausted out the front, through two more 480mm rads with 4 fans on each. so the airflow is in a direct straight line along the two side compartments. the middle compartment only houses the pumps which cool themselves into the water and as such dont need airflow.