The Hive

Muchoman1

so, sorry for letting this thread die a bit, moved house, had to turn a lot of dirt to alot of garden, set up my shed and do alot of jobs around the house

but i have got some good progress on the desk

20120106_175013.jpg

20120106_175024.jpg

i have cut one radiator hole in the front panel, which will fit a 4.120mm rad, with the fans and etc

20120106_181013.jpg

here is the garage that is used to build this beast, this thing can fit 6 corollas inside it and still have room for the workbench at the back and the racking system on the left

20120106_181058.jpg

some new powertools to make the desk

these next pics are the various layers that make up the desk

20120106_182043.jpg

starting with the legs (the small 3rd one is to stop the desk sagging due to its immense weight

20120106_182314.jpg

the base plate of the desk

20120106_184514.jpg

the upright panels of the desk.

20120106_184541.jpg

20120106_184550.jpg

20120106_184610.jpg

closeups of the bays. the left hand bay will hold the sr3, hdds, ssds and two radiators (one at front, one at back)

the middle bay will hold the pumps, reservoirs, and there will be a sloped panel covering the hole for my legs

the right bay will be empty at the moment, and i will mount a screen under the glass. there is enough space there for another computer system with dual 4.120mm rads

20120106_185508.jpg

the top layer of the desk. the glass will sit in the dip in the middle of the desk. the glass is currently in my computer room, and was moved there because its upstairs and we had the people to move it one day so we did

20120106_185524.jpg

20120106_185531.jpg

20120106_185539.jpg

the top of the desk.

i need to cut more rad holes, a hole in the front panel for my legs, paint the thing (some need to be started, others need a touch up then the clear coat)

but i have made some serious progress on this thing. and im hoping to have the desk done by end of jan, but the computer parts probably wont be done till after then

Are you going to use Rad grills over the front of those holes? If so have you decided designs?

Also you know the Umbrella Corp idea I reckon you should see how much it would cost to get custom grills with the logo on them.

An my god that garage is just about the right size to just house that desk :P looking good :thumbsup:

Are you going to use Rad grills over the front of those holes? If so have you decided designs?

Also you know the Umbrella Corp idea I reckon you should see how much it would cost to get custom grills with the logo on them.

An my god that garage is just about the right size to just house that desk :P looking good :thumbsup:

yeah, im doing radgrills, im thinking stainless steel with this cut in it

radgrill.png

the black would be the steel left while the white would be the holes

and i have been talking with FrozenQ, and they have decided to sponsor me with two of their "T-Virus" reservoirs

these will look great with the umbrella theme, i have also added them to the sponsor list on the front page

Thanks Guys!

Nice and I see we have a name change now. The Hive I like it :thumbsup:

Solid design for the grill and great work swinging the sponsorship those res will look damn sick also means you can get them done up with silver caps and sleeved cables ect (I hope) without paying a fortune extra.

Nice and I see we have a name change now. The Hive I like it :thumbsup:

Solid design for the grill and great work swinging the sponsorship those res will look damn sick also means you can get them done up with silver caps and sleeved cables ect (I hope) without paying a fortune extra.

yeah, im getting them with silver caps and im taking the cathodes out the middle, cause im getting some beastly uv cathodes which will illuminate them from a hidden location, so you cant see the cathode, only the glowing virus containers

Looks really impressive so far. That desk is HUGE! Definitely a work log to sub to :)

Ps. That garage is like heaven! I'd be glad to just have half of it!

Thanks, and yes, its good to finally have some room

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, been working away at the desk, got all the cutting done for it and am now painting. i will upload some pics when painting is done.

but because the right hand side of the desk will be empty, with my srx and all the other parts taking up the left, i was thinking what could go in there then i saw this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14212/ex-blc-975/XSPC_Low_Profile_Xbox_360_Original_CPUGPU_Water_Block_XBOX360A.html?tl=g30c83s404#blank

and thought i could put my replacement xbox 360 (the pro, not the slim) mobo in there with the hdd and psu and whatever it needs.

would this work? also can i get a less noisy dvd drive or run games off a bigger hdd?

here is a paint mockup of the desk with the cooling loop that im planning. the waterblocks will probably be aquacomputer blocks (ive heard those are the best performers and they are solid blocks not plated like ek nickel)

the pumps will be dual d5s, with the ek top that holds both together, with 1/2 inch coloured tubing and black ice gtx 480 rads with 4 gentle typhoon ap15s on each rad (so not push/pull, just 4 per rad)

desk.png

thats the layout im planning, its not to scale but i know everything fits, also you can only see the tubing and whatnot in the black left square and the black right square, not in the middle or edges, those are covered to keep it looking sleek.

i know that the pumps will have to push the water through 4-5 m of tubing for the cpu loop, and 6 waterblocks plus however many the srx has for its mobo, so maybe the xbox would be better off on the gpu loop? that only has 2-3 7970 blocks on it

also planning to have my 4th screen on a kvm switch to split it between the pc and xbox, it wont be in eyefinity, just a screen used for web browsing and temp watching, so it shouldnt bug out

opinions on this would be welcome

Edited by Muchoman1

Hopefully the whole desk is somewhat modular so you can disassemble to actually MOVE into the house :)

Otherwise you're going to have to hire a dozen ex NFL linemen to move it inside. Heaven forbid none of your doors are wide enough :)

But it is gonna be sick when it's all finished!

Hopefully the whole desk is somewhat modular so you can disassemble to actually MOVE into the house :)

Otherwise you're going to have to hire a dozen ex NFL linemen to move it inside. Heaven forbid none of your doors are wide enough :)

But it is gonna be sick when it's all finished!

Thankfully I designed it so it will fit. But I do have to carry it up a flight of stairs. O_o

But I still want to know if a d5 can handle all that tubing, the 8 waterblocks that are needed for CPUs mobo and ram (even though they are small blocks) , the 360 block and the480 MM rad, and can a480 rad handle dual oc 6 cores (looking for 4.5 GHz +), the ram (won't add much) the mobo and the xbox. I've got the room for two more 480 rads and they aren't very expensive compared to the rest of the project (I can get for 100 bucks each, and i'm already getting enough fans for 4)

Edited by Muchoman1

To be on the safe side I'd get another D5 (if it were me.....................)

The D5 has great head pressure but you are pushing through a lot of tubing length and eight water blocks. Just sayin'..........................

To be on the safe side I'd get another D5 (if it were me.....................)

The D5 has great head pressure but you are pushing through a lot of tubing length and eight water blocks. Just sayin'..........................

Tube length generally isn't an issue (vertical height is) - but 8 blocks is a bit much. :lol: He'll probably be fine depending on what blocks he chooses (I haven't paid attention to that).