Bloodline (Build Log Complete)

Pwnography6

Those blocks you have the waterblock on aren't the VRMs - those are the chokes. They don't need cooling. The little chips on the board NEXT to the chokes are the VRMs and if you don't cool them, especially when overclocking, you will kill your board!

Good eye Waco. I thought something was wrong there. And here it is I just remembered that was what killed your Lanparty board. :lol:

Nice build pwnograpy6. Looks excellent in there.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good eye Waco. I thought something was wrong there. And here it is I just remembered that was what killed your Lanparty board. :lol:

Nice build pwnograpy6. Looks excellent in there.

^^^^^ This made me feel much better at least I aint the only one to make this mistake + A nothing fried achievment for me.

^^^^^ This made me feel much better at least I aint the only one to make this mistake + A nothing fried achievment for me.

:lol: I killed my board because I pushed it too far...not because of anything else. :P

Another member posted about the end result of poor vrm cooling this topic is good reading.

Based on the photo of the "Back thermal tape on heat sink" (which does have a flash mark in center) I can only conclude that the installation of this vrm heat sink was over tightened because of the greater indents into the thermal tape at each end. Over tightening the heat sink will cause a bow to develop which will result in gaps in the center of the heat sink. This installation does not show signs of zero contact to the heat sink in the center which is good, but the tape does go crooked. This is something to consider when installing cooling solutions on components, especially when OCing! Another thing to look out for is that the surface of the cooling solution may contain a convex caused by the thermal expansion of the material when manufactured which then cools once finished leaving a convex. This convex is most dangerous when applying thermal paste because of its thin paint like thickness. The chipset heat sink uses foam pads to level the heat sink and avoid any gaps that would result otherwise. Unevenness will likely occur once hoses are hanging from the block (the block only uses two screws). The best tim on the chipset will be a thermal tape as it is more forgiving. Install the complete loop, run it stock, remove the chipset and examine the indent to determine if any gaps are present is the best (simplest) way to ensure proper cooling for the OC.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...