How to OC 6950 xfire?

Brutality

I'm fairly sure he was kidding about the "formula".

Personally I tend to find my max stable clocks using Kombustor with the safety options disabled - then if I ever encounter a video-related crash I'll drop back by 10 MHz each time I run into one.

Safety options? and how long do you let Kombustor run?

maaan tried 895MHz and it still crashes after 5 mins lol... and I thought it was stable at 909 lol

I guess I need to adjust those voltages to get it stable at that high clock... probably the NB can't keep up, but I haven't got time for that now... maybe after S7LAN

wow this is so frustrating.. I wish I had started with testing with crysis 2 from the beginning.. all the other tests are useless, apparently

EDIT: Just retested with stock clocks... held for 10 mins, and I assume it will still hold for at least 1 hour... so nope.. nothing has changed.. just too high clocks

Edited by Brutality

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brut, are you using the factory stock fan profile or are you testing with fan full "on" or some other fan profile? Maybe this is a heat related issue as well as a voltage related issue? I believe it has more to do with the video card than some minor motherboard related voltage tweaks. Just my 2 cents worth.

Safety options? and how long do you let Kombustor run?

"Xtreme burn-in" mode is what I use. It makes heat and power consumption SKYROCKET but it pretty much exposes any core instability pretty quickly. I usually run it for about 30-40 minutes before I call it stable. Just be careful...

Edited by Waco

"Xtreme burn-in" mode is what I use. It makes heat and power consumption SKYROCKET but it pretty much exposes any core instability pretty quickly. I usually run it for about 30-40 minutes before I call it stable. Just be careful...

Can you elaborate "be careful"? It it dangerous, or do I just need to watch temps, and that's all?

Also, can you please specify all settings for Kombustor for your "stability" checking? I am getting tired of wasting hours of stresstesting.. I mean, if you can, like with processers, just use LinX for 20-30 mins to determine stability, instead of 24hrs of p95... then I'd rather do the same for my gfx cards.. provided it isn't "dangerous", but rather - just watch temps

Edited by Brutality

Can you elaborate "be careful"? It it dangerous, or do I just need to watch temps, and that's all?

Also, can you please specify all settings for Kombustor for your "stability" checking? I am getting tired of wasting hours of stresstesting.. I mean, if you can, like with processers, just use LinX for 20-30 mins to determine stability, instead of 24hrs of p95... then I'd rather do the same for my gfx cards.. provided it isn't "dangerous", but rather - just watch temps

Well it's unsafe because it removes any power limitations built into your cards - so if the VRMs are too small, poorly cooled, etc they could blow up when running Kombustor for extended periods of time.

If you're going for a quick stability test you could just use "normal" Kombustor for 5-10 minutes but I think newer cards tend to limit clocks and power draw with it so I don't know how effective it is. Even my cards do this - I pull about 600-650 watts from the wall on the normal settings, 1920x1080, fullscreen...but with "Xtreme burn-in" I pull 850-900 watts with all the other settings the same.

You could always find a somewhat stable OC with Kombustor and just back off your clocks every time you have a graphics-related crash. That's always worked for me in the past with other cards.

Edited by Waco

Well it's unsafe because it removes any power limitations built into your cards - so if the VRMs are too small, poorly cooled, etc they could blow up when running Kombustor for extended periods of time.

If you're going for a quick stability test you could just use "normal" Kombustor for 5-10 minutes but I think newer cards tend to limit clocks and power draw with it so I don't know how effective it is. Even my cards do this - I pull about 600-650 watts from the wall on the normal settings, 1920x1080, fullscreen...but with "Xtreme burn-in" I pull 850-900 watts with all the other settings the same.

You could always find a somewhat stable OC with Kombustor and just back off your clocks every time you have a graphics-related crash. That's always worked for me in the past with other cards.

Yeah I just read the following thread and I'll just keep away from the Xtreme Burning Mode.. hell I'd rather be patient than blow up my new 6950s

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677416

Exactly why I said to be careful. :P My cards literally scream when I run that mode.

Ok, let's leave that topic, lol I'm getting goosebumps (I am so sensitive about hardware)

BTW: Just checking: getting 0x116 BSODs don't harm your system/gfx cards right? It's just cuz of unstable overclock, and you can get as many of these as u want without causing any damage? Provided you avoid ridiculous voltages and temps, right?

Edited by Brutality

If you aren't cranking voltages and your temperatures are in check it's extremely unlikely you'll do any permanent damage. :)

Great, thanks alot Waco :) Now I feel like I know everything I need to know about overclocking graphics cards :D