How to OC 6950 xfire?

Brutality

Maybe he was just trying to say that "technically" overclocking your card will void the warranty. But as you point out, there are ways of covering your tracks :) I'd also add that sensible overclocking (with sensible being the operative word) usually doesn't destroy hardware unless you get silly with it. My motto is if it can be overclocked - overclock it. Well except for my phone and laptop that is.......................................

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he was just trying to say that "technically" overclocking your card will void the warranty. But as you point out, there are ways of covering your tracks :) I'd also add that sensible overclocking (with sensible being the operative word) usually doesn't destroy hardware unless you get silly with it. My motto is if it can be overclocked - overclock it. Well except for my phone and laptop that is.......................................

I agree 100%. If you melt a card, processor, or mobo then you are really an idiot who didn't do the research. Thankfully, no one on this site should have that problem because they have access to a vast collection of overclocking knowledge :biggrin:

Aslo, I have my laptop's i5 overclcoked to 2.8GHz stable. I have a solid state drive, and since I didn't bump up the voltages I remain at the stock battery time. Granted I have to remove a cover and replace it with plexiglass with holes every where, to me it is still worth it. My motto is "if electricity runs through it, make more electricity run through it.....safely"

bump - hmm I'll just put the questions here then

I suggest starting with Core Clock only and at default Core Voltage. Memory overclocks will differ depending on your Core Clock overclock. I do a quick pass of Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL test to make sure it's somewhat stable (only takes about a minute to run), except you have to exit out, adjust your overclock, and start it again for it to use your new overclock.

When you crash while running it, you know the setting before is what's stable. Then do a complete benchmark of Unigine Heaven v2.1 or v2.5 at default, but with Anisotropy 16 and Anti-Aliasing x8 at your highest resolution in fullscreen. If you crash or error out, drop your Core Clock by 10MHz and re-test and repeat until you get a full pass. Note: If you see a lot of flashing (usually Core Clock related) or grainy spots (usually Memory related), you overclocked too far.

After that, you can find your memory overclock. Just compare the benchmark score in Unigine Heaven. If it's higher, that's good. If you get a lower score than your higher score with lower memory overclock, that means you went too far.

When you say: "Unigine Heaven v2.1 or v2.5 at default, but with Anisotropy 16 and Anti-Aliasing x8 at your highest resolution in fullscreen"

What about tessellation? leave it at normal? or put it to extreme?

To be 100% sure: Is this the correct settings for Heaven 2.5?:

API: DX 11

Stereo 3D: Disabled (I haven't got a 3d monitor anyways)

Shaders: High

Tesselation: normal (or extreme?)

Anisotropy: 16

AA: 8x

Full screen: yes

Resolution: 1920x1200 (as far as my monitor will go ;))

Imo you shouldn't use Furmark at all.

If you don't want me to use Furmark, what other max-temp-test software would you recommend me to use? I don't feel good about overclocking and only checking for stability and not temps (crysis 2 produces more heat than Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL or Heaven 2.5 - and maybe other games produce more heat?)

Bonus questions:

What about a custom fan profile? Is it needed or a good idea? If so, how should it be?

I still don't understand how the OpenGL test can test stability (well pre-test, as you said) on both cards in xfire when the 2nd card is at 0% activity through the whole test

Edited by Brutality

bump - hmm I'll just put the questions here then

When you say: "Unigine Heaven v2.1 or v2.5 at default, but with Anisotropy 16 and Anti-Aliasing x8 at your highest resolution in fullscreen"

What about tessellation? leave it at normal? or put it to extreme?

To be 100% sure: Is this the correct settings for Heaven 2.5?:

API: DX 11

Stereo 3D: Disabled (I haven't got a 3d monitor anyways)

Shaders: High

Tesselation: normal (or extreme?)

Anisotropy: 16

AA: 8x

Full screen: yes

Resolution: 1920x1200 (as far as my monitor will go ;))

Don't worry about tesselation, leave it at normal.

Yes, those settings are fine. As long as you remain consistent is all that matters.

If you don't want me to use Furmark, what other max-temp-test software would you recommend me to use? I don't feel good about overclocking and only checking for stability and not temps (crysis 2 produces more heat than Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL or Heaven 2.5 - and maybe other games produce more heat?)

Bonus questions:

What about a custom fan profile? Is it needed or a good idea? If so, how should it be?

I still don't understand how the OpenGL test can test stability (well pre-test, as you said) on both cards in xfire when the 2nd card is at 0% activity through the whole test

A custom fan profile isn't needed, but if you're okay with certain temps, you can get a quieter system in lieu of higher temps only if you're okay with it.

Cinebench OpenGL testing on only 1 GPU is fine. You get a quick sense of how a GPU performs. You can only overclock stable as high as the lowest GPU in your configuration. OpenGL tests is only a quick method of finding when your overclock becomes unstable.

MSI Kombustor will get your GPUs about as hot as they'll ever get.

I usually run GPU burn in with my resolution (1920x1080) and D3D10. I don't muck about with any of the other settings. Don't run FSAA since it actually lessens the load on your GPUs.

Thanks alot everyone! :)

With stock settings I got 78*C on the top card and 74*C on the lower card, both cards decided to run at 44% fan speed at that temp (auto-fan)

Let the overclocking begin! :popcorn:

A little update on the overclocking =)

Seems that 909MHz on the core is the absolute max it will take (910MHz threw a VPU recovery after 15 or 20 mins in Kombustor), but 909MHz survived a Cinebench OpenGL pass, 30 mins in Heaven 2.5, 30 mins in Kombustor and 10 mins of 3Dmark 11 test 4 (looped), at maximum graphical settings. (3Dmark11 test 4 loop for 10mins was advised somewhere I forgot)

Gonna play Crysis 2 for 1 hour and then TrackMania Nations for 1 hour when I get up tomorrow, and if that proves stability, I decrease core clock by 10MHz (as advised by Stonerboy779 and Puck), and then I will move onto the memory :)

Edited by Brutality

A little update on the overclocking =)

Seems that 909MHz on the core is the absolute max it will take (910MHz threw a VPU recovery after 15 or 20 mins in Kombustor), but 909MHz survived a Cinebench OpenGL pass, 30 mins in Heaven 2.5, 30 mins in Kombustor and 10 mins of 3Dmark 11 test 4 (looped), at maximum graphical settings. (3Dmark11 test 4 loop for 10mins was advised somewhere I forgot)

Gonna play Crysis 2 for 1 hour and then TrackMania Nations for 1 hour when I get up tomorrow, and if that proves stability, I decrease core clock by 10MHz (as advised by Stonerboy779 and Puck), and then I will move onto the memory :)

Hit me up a pm befor you hop on trackmania because I'll play ya if I can get on.

Hit me up a pm befor you hop on trackmania because I'll play ya if I can get on.

Oops, I meant Trackmania Nations Forwever =P

I gotta practice a bit, cuz there's a tournament for it at S7LAN, and I came 4th last year, so maybe if I practice this time I might have a chance to win :P

But if you also play that, I'll hit u a PM

EDIT: I think I'll play an hour of Worms Reloaded as well... just to be 100% sure it's über stable, and because there is a tourney in Worms Reloaded too xD

Edited by Brutality