How to OC 6950 xfire?

Brutality

Huh I suppose the voltage wasn't as tightly regulated when it was pushed harder good luck overclocking.

So what are you stable at now?

BCLK: 100.0

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core

Ratio Limits: 46

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled

Memory Frequency: DDR3-2133MHz

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

DRAM Timing Control: According to X.M.P. Profile

Load-line Calibration: Ultra High

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350

Phase Control: Extreme

Duty Control: Extreme

CPU Current Capability: 100%

CPU Voltage: Manual

CPU Manual Voltage: 1.32

DRAM Voltage: 1.65000

VCCSA Voltage = 1.01250

VCCIO Voltage = 1.15000

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.55

PCH Voltage = 1.15000

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Keeping GPUs at stock until somone comments on my VCCSA/VCCIO/PCH voltages (like 4th time I ask if they're too high, or OK - since I am the most patient man alive I am not rushing anyone, I'll just keep asking until some of you experienced OC'ers advice me :))

EDIT: very weird.. I wanted to contribute to the temp comparison thread, so I opened up HWMON, CoreTemp, RealTemp and RealTempGT... meanwhile I thought a restart would do good, and while opening RealTempGT it gave some error about driver.. something.. odd I thought.. but either way I rebooted, and loaded the programs again (this time no whining about some driver(s))... let the system be for 5 mins.. hit print screen.. open paint... system freezed and I got a 0x9c... O_o

Reboot... system barely lasted 2 mins before freezing... so back in BIOS.. after reading some topics about 0x9c I found there are LOADS of causes and solutions: faulty mobo, cpu, ram or hdd, try to do memtest for 7 passes to figure if RAM, try chkdesk to see if hdd has gone poo... could also be driver issues.. try to reinstall drivers.. try HDDLife or HD Drive Analyst to analyse HDD.. reinstall windows could also solve... and the last thing I found was on an overclocking forum (forgot which now... and I really wonder why that was the last place I looked.. I mean, my system is overclocked lol... and I also remember El_Capitan (or someone else) linking to a list of BSODs and their cause/resoluion (Here it is).. and LOL... I've just been talking about my VCCIO/VCCSA/PCH voltages maybe being too high?.. so I dialed them back to just below 0.975 and 1.1375 and 1.1, respectively.. and upped the vCore to 1.33 just for the sake of wanting stability...

Boo-Yah, problem solved.. system doesn't crash and handled 20 LinX passes without any (Q_Q) :P

But still I'd like you guys input regarding max safe VCCIO/VCSSA/PCH voltages (I know the manual says 1.01250/1.15000/1.15000, but that didn't work quite well).. so I can overclock my GPUs without wondering if the NB voltages are too low or it's just too big of an overclock ;)

Cheers

Edited by Brutality

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vccsa is supposed to be a fixed voltage, and you shouldn't need to mess with it. (At least how I understand it)

For vccio I wouldn't go higher than 1.2v, from what I've noticed it doesn't help the memory clocks overclock enough to justify the extra temp, but then again I don't really care about memory clocks all that much.

PCH I'm not sure about. I haven't noticed it do much for stability, so I haven't messed with it much.

I agree with Capitan. Furmark creates a situation/stress (and heat) you will never encounter in any game or other situation. The damn thing is made to break tour cards IMO

If you use TRIXX it will disable ULPS for you, and keeps it disabled upon restarts.

As a jumping off point. Before I got very lucky and found my 6950's each had a 6970 bios built in, I found that with the 6950 bios, they OC'd to 900Mhz with little to no Voltage increase and the memory to 1500Mhz.

@ 925 they needed a bump of .060v and 960Mhz a bump of .13v I have found this to be the case (or very close to it) for most 6950's except for Powercolor...I don't know whats up with those.

Every chip is a bit different, but I have found the 6950/6970 chips have been remarkably consistent if you are feeding them quality power. power tune raises the the TDP of the board, and unless you are high voltage OC'ing, or using a ridiculous ( IMO) program like Furmark, you will not go above the 200w TDP of the board.

*** they will generally go just above 1000Mhz, but it requires 1.3V core, but thats is just a piss poor return on voltage and heat generated for my taste.

Hope that helps and gives you a starting point :)

***edit**** I must have flipped my page view option and was now seeing the first page, rather than the most recent comments. So i see this has probably already been solved.